Lifters-Deloading/Cycling Heavy & Light Weeks

Options
arditarose
arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
My trainer has me on a new routine. One week heavy, lower reps, and the next week light with higher reps. I have done my reading and understand the picture. I also love my trainer but, I think it's important to hear second and third opinions.

So does anyone else do this? I'm curious to know- the benefits as far as strength (and possibly well being?), as well as the effect it has on the appearance of the body (if you could shed some light on the fact that I'm doing it in a deficit, that would be great too). Will it slow my progress down as far as either goes, or aid it?

If you don't do this, and you're more experienced-do you think this is beneficial for someone like me who has only been lifting heavy since June?

Also, psychologically I am struggling with this! I just did my first light day yesterday and had such a hard time not adding more.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am very lost on what your goals are. Sounds like you want to lose weight but what are your lifting goals?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I am very lost on what your goals are. Sounds like you want to lose weight but what are your lifting goals?

mmm, right. I have a bit more fat to lose. Lifting goals are getting stronger and making things look nice right now. I'm not really close to being ready to gain mass yet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

mmm, right. I have a bit more fat to lose. Lifting goals are getting stronger and making things look nice right now. I'm not really close to being ready to gain mass yet.

I see nothing wrong with your trainers plan. I used to do that cycle in the same week. I also lift 5 days a week though.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your trainer will know your needs and what will work for you better than we would on a message board (hopefully). I see nothing wrong with approaching training this way. There are methods used by some lifters that cycle weights this way during a one week period, such as with the Cube Method and Westside Barbell. I would say the best way to find the answer you need is to ask your trainer why he is putting you on this program. If you get a solid answer from them that doesn't sound like some made up fairy tale, you should trust there judgement. If not, find another trainer or find a program for yourself and follow that.
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For a lifter, a heavy week followed by a light week is not optimal for strength or hypertrophy or a combination of both. The main purpose of a deload is to give your cns some time to recover from the accumulated stress of heavy lifting and to work on the speed of the lift and your form on the compound movements only. Noone would deload on leg extensions for example.

But we cant judge if your program is sound or not without all the variables like movements,reps,sets,rest intervals,frequency and intensity.

Since you are new to lifting though the difference between an optimal program and a good program, I assume your program is good since a trainer made it, is very little according to the results you will get. As long as you are on a caloric deficit and you follow your program you will add muscle and strength while you lose fat for the upcoming months.

Regarding your question about the caloric deficit, you shouldnt go on a diet for more than 3 months as a rule of thumb unless you need to lose some serious weight. Pumping your calories to maintenance will improve your performance at the gym and is usually more beneficial for someone new to lifting after some time.

You shouldnt worry about not doing the maximum amount of weight and reps each set, remember its called training because there are a lot of variables behind it. But since you are new you should add weight on your exercises every week/2weeks for the next months untill you have discovered your fitness goals and choose a program to pursue them.

good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Regarding your question about the caloric deficit, you shouldnt go on a diet for more than 3 months as a rule of thumb unless you need to lose some serious weight.
    Based on what peer reviewed science?

For the OP, cycling heavy and light is fine, but you really need to think out your goals. I cycle a heavy to light cycle over several weeks, but I'm working on maximal strength, and muscular endurance for a couple specific sports. It sounds like you want strength and hypertrophy, I'd focus on one or the other. At your level though as a newbie, they'll have the same initial results, so I'd suggest working strength, then once off a caloric deficit, work hypertrophy.

That way you can maximize your effort v gain
  • arditarose
    Options
    Regarding your question about the caloric deficit, you shouldnt go on a diet for more than 3 months as a rule of thumb unless you need to lose some serious weight.
    Based on what peer reviewed science?

For the OP, cycling heavy and light is fine, but you really need to think out your goals. I cycle a heavy to light cycle over several weeks, but I'm working on maximal strength, and muscular endurance for a couple specific sports. It sounds like you want strength and hypertrophy, I'd focus on one or the other. At your level though as a newbie, they'll have the same initial results, so I'd suggest working strength, then once off a caloric deficit, work hypertrophy.

That way you can maximize your effort v gain

Okay, that was exactly what I needed. Thanks. And I do realize I need to figure out my goals...It just gets confusing for me sometimes. I'm coming off of my deficit this week actually.