Stomach expansion is killing me

Options
I don't get it. I ate breakfast, lunch, and snacks, but still consumed twice my caloric needs at dinner. I never used to have hunger like this. Over the last three weeks, though, I've been eating probably upwards of 2500 cals a day... sometimes nearing 5000. Today was my first day away from home, and by the time I came back to the kitchen I was too ravenous to even cook, even though I ate enough and hadn't exercised.

Does anyone have ideas or words of encouragement regarding this ridiculous stomach expansion? Because of all I've forced into it, my belly is like a bottomless pit now. Even weight maintenance feels like deprivation.

Replies

• alyssa83202
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water? I've noticed that I'm less hungry when I drink at least 64oz. a day!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, eat fruits, and try to get in the recommended amount of fiber. Stay away from fast food.
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alyssa, water is the key. When you start to get hungry try some water. If you are eating that many calories, you will have to do some major exercising to loose weight.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I have a "food bag" that I fill up in the morning when I leave for work. Its full of the appropriate foods...fruit, veggies, fat, starches , dairy, protien and snacks that are within my allowable intake for the day. When my "food bag" is empty....I am done eating. PERIOD. Do I want to keep right on eating? YUP, of course I do! Eating feels great! But do I do that? NO! I'm way smarted than that. I know that if I continue to eat, all the weight I have worked so hard to lose (28 lbs) will just creep back on. Hungry or not....do you want to be thin and healthy or over weight, unhealthy, and unhappy? It's a choice. Every choice has a consequence. I choice a positive outcome. What will you choose? And yes....it's as simple as that. The end.
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    When this happened to me, I needed more protein. I tend to crave carbs and if I'd eat more protein, it would curb hunger. Drinking water is always a good idea to increase metabolism.
  • ssmenzel01
    Options
    I have started eating a turkey sandwich on wheat with grapes, an orange and a pear or kiwi for lunch. When I get home I grab about 15 whole cashews to munch while I make dinner and I don't even feel hungry so my dinner is under control. I never used to eat fruit and if I did it was always strawberries. I do make faces while forcing them down but it is working I think...

You may not do great every single day but don't stop. Just work on one meal at a time so it is not overwhelming. Use your food diary because when you have to type in a load of crap it makes you realize how easy it is to screw up. We can do this!! Hang a picture of yourself at your desired weight on your fridge or hang a before diet picture that makes you want to hide so when you grab the handle of the fridge you stop and pay attention. Good luck!!
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    That's a great idea. Reminds me of when I packed my lunches; couldn't overeat because I brought just what I was supposed to have. Reminded me of Richard Simmons's Deal-a-Meal.
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    eat 40% of your daily calories as lean protien...this will help you feel full longer....sounds like you and I have the same metebolic type...this is what I have to do as well..and i manage to keep my calories down around 1650 with exercise
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alyssa... when you feel the need to eat after a meal/snack, drink instead a big glass of water.

Would you say you are an emotionnal eater ? If yes, you will have to find other ways to cope. It will take a lot of will power,
    but you can do it.

Find activities that will take you away from food. Plan all your meals/snacks for the week. If you feel too tired to cook healthy meals at night, you can cook once a week, freeze some of your meals if needed.

Again it takes will power. What works for me is to think about my fat belly before I put anything in my mouth... does wonder.

I've also seen people put up a picture of themselves on their fridge, on their wallet, etc. so they would refrain indulging. It works for some people.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I drank a lot of water every day... but it's very possible that what I mistake as 'hunger' could mostly be thirst.
    64 oz... that's 16 cups. I don't usually monitor, but maybe I'll schedule some water breaks just like meals.
    I also like the idea of putting all allowed foods in a bag... except that it's not realistic for my family's lifestyle. What do you do about cooked foods? I usually don't find out what we're having for dinner until the afternoon, and it's always some raw meat that needs cooking.
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried cooking meat in a crock pot ? Its our best friend here at home. Start it in the morning,
    let it cook while you're away at work... when you come back home you have delicious, tender meat ready to serve :happy:

ETA : it requires knowing in the morning what you will have for dinner, but its worth a try :wink:
  • ERapp01
    ERapp01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pack some high fiber low cal snacks(carrots, apple, etc.) & favorite zero cal drink. You will still be hungry, but it will give you time to cook. I make 5 small baked potatoes, one night and the rest go in the frig for a quick meal.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I always thought that I drank a lot of water every day... but it's very possible that what I mistake as 'hunger' could mostly be thirst.
    64 oz... that's 16 cups. I don't usually monitor, but maybe I'll schedule some water breaks just like meals.
    I also like the idea of putting all allowed foods in a bag... except that it's not realistic for my family's lifestyle. What do you do about cooked foods? I usually don't find out what we're having for dinner until the afternoon, and it's always some raw meat that needs cooking.
    It sounds like a lot of water, but it's really only 8 cups! I have a 25oz. water bottle and if I fill it 3 times a day, I get more than the 64oz! Also, what about your lifestyle makes bagging your meals ahead of time unrealistic? Is it anything that you can change? Sometimes, change is inconvenient, but not impossible! Good luck!
  • MadisonLeavens
    MadisonLeavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Investigate Chia seeds. I know this sound odd, but, they acutally help. Here's a bit about them, chia seeds (found at health food stores) absorb 10x their size to creat a gel, called curiously enough, chia gel. So, you add chia seeds to a liquid, any liquid, even water. Let them do their job, and then drink it down. The gel will make you feel full. And the really great part is that they are gluten free and high in protein. If you can't stomach the idea of drinking a gel, sprinkle chia seeds on your yogurt, salads, what have you. Drink a full glass of water and they will expand in to yor tummy, making you feel fuller. Plus they act as a broom as they are full of fiber.

To find more information:

http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Investigate Chia seeds. I know this sound odd, but, they acutally help. Here's a bit about them, chia seeds (found at health food stores) absorb 10x their size to creat a gel, called curiously enough, chia gel. So, you add chia seeds to a liquid, any liquid, even water. Let them do their job, and then drink it down. The gel will make you feel full. And the really great part is that they are gluten free and high in protein. If you can't stomach the idea of drinking a gel, sprinkle chia seeds on your yogurt, salads, what have you. Drink a full glass of water and they will expand in to yor tummy, making you feel fuller. Plus they act as a broom as they are full of fiber.

To find more information:

http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html

Does this mean you'll start growing grass on your stomach? :laugh:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you all for the feedback.
    Alyssa, I'm not usually at home. I'm a college student, so I'm stuck with whatever meal plan I have. I could buy food for meals and pack ahead in my minifridge, but it'd be a tremendous waste of money (and, to be honest, put me at risk for late night binging).

Madison, the Chia seeds sound great. I've heard of them before, all with rave reviews, so I might give it a try (...if the price is right).

maggyloo, at home my father is the crockpot king. Personally, I prefer grilling whenever I can.

I appreciate everyone's input so much. :flowerforyou:
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Ah, thank you all for the feedback.
    Alyssa, I'm not usually at home. I'm a college student, so I'm stuck with whatever meal plan I have. I could buy food for meals and pack ahead in my minifridge, but it'd be a tremendous waste of money (and, to be honest, put me at risk for late night binging).

Madison, the Chia seeds sound great. I've heard of them before, all with rave reviews, so I might give it a try (...if the price is right).

maggyloo, at home my father is the crockpot king. Personally, I prefer grilling whenever I can.

I appreciate everyone's input so much. :flowerforyou:
    I'm also a college student, but I don't have a meal plan! I'd have a terrible time if I did because our meal plan is a buffet. Does your school have vegetarian or healthy options?