How many days between running?

Options
2»

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The better conditioned you become the more often you can run. It is very important to vary your runs during the week however. I run 5-6 days a week for about 30-35 miles total. Typically i'll do a 8-12 mile long run on Sunday followed by a 5-6 mile easy run on Monday on an Alter-g treadmill to loosen things back up. Tuesday will be a hill interval or speed interval of 4-5 miles followed by another easy 5 mile jog on Wednesday. Thursday sometimes is rest or a shorter 3-4 mile run if I'm feeling good. Friday is a 10k pace run with Saturday always being a rest day.

Proper warmup and stretching is always a must. I struggled with running back to back days before seeing a running coach and getting some instruction on how to properly warmup and cool down after a run.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I feel better running about 4 days a week and cross training more than if I was running more.

I do one long run on the weekend and (usually) a long bike ride on the other day, with the idea that I might follow it with a short run, although I usually don't because of time. I then usually run Tuesday through Thursday with different focuses (a short run that's either recovery or speed, one mid-length run that is currently 6-7 miles that's just steady, and one of the same length that's more interval focused). At least, this is the idea and what my training plan calls for; I change them up sometimes based on how I feel, what other exercise I do, and time.

Years ago I was running a lot and then switched to triathlon training and did a ton more cross training and less running and my body felt a lot better overall, so I'm kind of trying to keep to that plan, although I'm not actually swimming much. I'll probably sub that in for some of my biking in the winter.

I also find the most consistent ways to fit in my run is to do them first thing in the morning, although my health club has an interval running class on treadmills that is actually a great workout and pushes me on speed that I may start subbing for one of my weekday runs.