Anyone have their VITAMIN D levels checked?

Options
2»

Replies

• ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Low vitamin D is often a sign of active underlying infection. I have Lyme Disease and low D is one of the first things that happens. My level was 4 a couple years ago and I became unable to walk for a year. It packed on a lot of pounds, messed my hormones WAY up (vitamin D is a hormone and a necessary component of all hormonal activity), caused severe depression and suicidal ideations.

I did 50,000 IU's prescribed by a few doctors. I also took liquid D3 at between 6k-10k per day for a while, then 2k-4k per day from 2011-2014. My levels only reached a pitiful 34.

I was tested again in May this year. Level was 27. I was given another script for doing 50,000 IU for an extended time. Instead, I began taking Green Pasture Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil blend. This is the only brand that makes the stuff correctly. Their product has an amazing amount of nutrients, including a complete vitamin D and it's rich in vitamin K which is needed to bring up D levels.

After just one month on FCLO/BO blend, I got retested and my D shot up to 36. That's the highest it's been in years. Highly recommend looking into it.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend getting a light box for winter months or if you can't get outdoors as often as you like. You can find light boxes on amazon. Many folks use them for Seasonal Affective Disorder.

You shine the light at your body for 15-30 minutes once or twice a day to mimic sunlight. This will help raise your vitamin D and also helps balance cortisol and melatonin. If you have trouble getting to sleep at night, using a light box in the morning and late afternoon can help your body get in balance.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with slightly lower than normal levels years ago (when I started to drink coffee every morning). This prompted me to decide on drinking the coffee or taking supplements (since I try and avoid the sun). I take vitamin D and calcium supplements twice a day and my levels are normal now (still drinking lots of coffee, in the morning only though).
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had it checked as part of a full panel that my physician did. Levels were low but grateful that it was fixable with supplements and didn't need a script. I think the test is worth doing as I feel much better taking the supplements.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband's neurologist said that new studies have shown that we need more vitamin D than previously thought. He put my husband on a very high dosage for a few weeks and now he's on a daily smaller dosage to help his migraines.

My doctor put me on vitamin D for bone health (I have severe osteoarthritis) and my orthopedic dr upped my dosage.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The blood work I had done in March showed I was low, and I'm now on a daily OTC supplement. As for the symptoms, it's hard to tell.... The test was done to find a reason for my constant exhaustion. A month later, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. It's impossible to see where one ends and the other begins.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My D was literally off the charts low. Like, none.

I take boatloads of it, get a little with my Calciums (which I take throughout the day) and I spend time in the sun almost every single day.

Still low, but better.

The D and B-12 got caught and supplemented at the same time, so I can't say which or both, but i think more clearly again and energy is up. (Energy could also be related to exercise. Hard to pin it all down.)

In any even, I followed the doctor's orders and...I got better! Go figure! :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have low D due to other medications I have to take. So I take 4000 units of D a day and it keeps it level but on the lower side. Honestly, I do not notice any side effects and would not have known if my doctor recommended it.

Same here. My levels were as low as the OP (which is extremely low) and I noticed nothing then and nothing different since starting supplements and getting it to normal.