Holidays Made Me Sick

Options
After traveling home for Thanksgiving (only an hour and a half one way) and staying there for a few days, then the same for Christmas, and then just a day trip on New Years day.... I have found my self sick with a bad cold after both occasions. I can always tell when it is coming on, I get horrible achy pain is my lower back, feels like my hips are out of place, it's just a constant pain.

I am wondering if anyone else finding the change of routine is making you more susceptible to these winter time colds.

Also if anyone has any tips or suggestions other then the typical supplement and fluids (I do both religiously) they would be welcomed.

Replies

• HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    Holidays are fun, but isn't it great to get back to your regular eating routine?????
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    After traveling home for Thanksgiving (only an hour and a half one way) and staying there for a few days, then the same for Christmas, and then just a day trip on New Years day.... I have found my self sick with a bad cold after both occasions. I can always tell when it is coming on, I get horrible achy pain is my lower back, feels like my hips are out of place, it's just a constant pain.

I am wondering if anyone else finding the change of routine is making you more susceptible to these winter time colds.

Also if anyone has any tips or suggestions other then the typical supplement and fluids (I do both religiously) they would be welcomed.

I would suspect that it may, in actuality, be the change in environment. We tend to become somewhat immune to our own regular environments but when we travel for any length of time to an irregular one, there may be germs/bacteria/viruses travelling around that are not found in your own and therefore, your immune system is not prepared to manage those things. Add to that potential exaustion, a different diet and perhaps stress and you're absolutely primed to get whatever's floating around the unconditioned spaced.

*IF* this were an accurate assessment, I would suspect a bit more rest, ensuring to maintain your regular diet as much as possible while away from home, and some time to regulate yourself to the new space (meditation perhaps?) in a relaxing and stress-free manner MIGHT be of some help.

Short of that - keep some Robitussin or Nyquil on hand and catch it before it catches you! ;-)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have actually found that I am LESS likely to get a cold since I have started eating healthy. I have not gotten sick AT ALL this year when I normally would have already had at least 2 colds by now normally. I have been using my blender and making fruit shakes EVERY morning for breakfast to get my fruit and dairy in. With that, I am also getting my vitamins in to fight colds. I use frozen mixed fruit, a banana, yogurt of any flavor, and a little milk to make the shakes. They are yummy and I haven't gotten sick!
  • Sjenkins0408
    Options
    ugh, I totally feel you pain! Over thanksgiving I contracted salmonella (from a restaurant, not turkey dinner) it was like 13 days of death and I couldn't work out at all, although I still dropped pounds from being sooo sick. And then I got a bad cold over christmas too!!!!! I never get sick ever, and I got the double whammy! I'm just now trying to get back into my normal routine, and I gained back 5 pounds, boooooooo