any weight loss by just walking and eating healthy?

Options
I have a full time job and recently just started walking everyday after work. I started at just one mile then i upped it to 1.5 miles, now im at 2 miles a day any success stories.

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You've lost 15 lbs. YOU are the success story.
  • candygirl13000
    candygirl13000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! I changed my diet to lean protein, lots of vegetables, and cut out the junk. I walk 3-5 times a week...not sure how far. I have a Fitbit and my goal is 6000 steps a day. I have lost 43lbs so far. Yes, I think just walking and eating healthy does work!! Good luck!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Didn't begin to exercise (even going for walks) until I had lost 90#

Now I work out in the gym M-F and go for 2 hour walks/hikes on weekends.

I have lost 160#, so yes, you can be successful just walking.

Weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn. I think it about 80% to 20%, but am not positive.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job and recently just started walking everyday after work. I started at just one mile then i upped it to 1.5 miles, now im at 2 miles a day any success stories.

if you're eating at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

if you're eating at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.

Agree. but the walking has many more benefits other than just weight loss so keep doing what you are doing. That's exactly how I did it my first time around.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I lost 26 lbs just by watching what I ate and walking. I'm sure I would have lost with just a calorie deficit but the walking also helped a bit as well as making me feel better and more energized :)
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy/low calorie/good nutrients is 95% of weight loss.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    first, you've lost fifteen pounds so you are doing something right already!

second, yes, if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. i had major surgery and all i *could* do afterwards was walk. the first twenty or so pounds i lost, i lost by walking and eating at a modest calorie deficit. i still walk everyday even though i do other sorts of exercise, too.

one thing: logging is really important. you can lose weight while sitting on your sofa as long as you are at a deficit but doing so is really difficult if you aren't tracking what you are eating and know some basic information about your body, like your base metabolic rate.

good luck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    For sure, that's how I lost half of my weight, just by walking and eating healthy/calorie deficit.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started walking about a month into my weight loss. Didn't ramp up to running/cycling until a year later. Most of my weight loss came from proper eating and daily walking.
  • Hedgehog182
    Hedgehog182 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started just as you describe. Eating less and better - light walking everyday. 4lbs in 8 days.
  • edeainfj
    Options
    Lowering my calorie intake and walking is all I've done, and I've lost around 30 pounds so far. Keep it up! :D
  • kymberlim140
    Options
    I just joined back to the fitness world on August 12, 2014. I started walking every day for 30 mins at lunch, and doing 25 mins on the treadmill at the gym 4-5 days a week. I cut my calorie intake to the minimum 1200 cals a day and starting eating more fruits, vegetables and lean meat, and I have lost 11lbs so far! I also like that I get more calories to add to my 1200 by doing cardio every day. Keep walking. I started at 1 mile, went to 2 and now I am getting ready to do my 2nd 5K walk (which is a little over 3 miles)!!!!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My health isn't very good so I do limited exercise, mainly just very short walks and not every day, and I've lost almost 27 pounds, almost entirely from my daily calorie defecit. My weight loss is slowing down quite a bit now though so I'll have to try and step it up as best I can, but I've almost lost 2 stone, which I'm pretty proud of, especially considering the lack of exercise. Well done on your loss thus far. :-)
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss I ate healthy and walked. Just by walking and watching what I ate I lost over 100 pounds. I still walk and now I use the stationary bike and I do strength training.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As others,walking is more than just exercise, it is fresh air, see the seasons change, say hello / good morning to others. I find it a pleasant experience,combined with calorie counting
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    And if the weather is bad and you can't walk outside look up Leslie Sansone walks on Youtube. You can then walk at home. I have done most of my exercises this way and my fitness has improved greatly.

Good luck.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 40lbs by walking and watching what I ate. It gets complicated when you add more activity! :laugh:
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As someone said, YOU're the success story here :)

My experience?

Walking every day at least 30 minutes. I have started to run after some weight loss. Not using any particular "diet", but trying to fit my macros and eating at deficit. Result so far? 40 lbs gone :) 50% of my journey I'd say.

Way to go!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What you eat is probably most important, but walking has many other complimentary benefits. It has helped me with back pain and joint aches. It improves my mood within minutes and the effects carry throughout the day. When I have time, I walk early. It's completely replaced my caffeine dependence. Of course there are also plenty of scientific reasons to walk as well, these are just my personal annectdotes.

Congrats on your progress, both in weight lost and miles gained! I use a nice New Balance pedometer to help count my steps/distance/time/calories. It helps keep me motivated to move. Others like more advanced and expensive options like the fitbit, jawbone, or any number of other fitness trackers. Others also use a rewards system, usually not involving foods. Also invest in GOOD walking shoes and replace when needed to keep your feet ship shape. Anything that helps you will be worth the investment, just find what motivates you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!