Massive over estimation on gym equipment for cals burned!

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think your hrm sounds wrong on the basis of an hours exercise. Obviously mFP is just an estimate and wont have full data plus people overestimate their effort. Walking is fairly well documented as in a calorie count so id check other estimators as well and I think theyd be consistent.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I think your hrm sounds wrong on the basis of an hours exercise. Obviously mFP is just an estimate and wont have full data plus people overestimate their effort. Walking is fairly well documented as in a calorie count so id check other estimators as well and I think theyd be consistent.

Thanks for this, i have looked into it, and it does seem a little low, but i use weights now as i am walking to make sure i keep my heart rate up, obviously i cant do it for the full hour yet only worked up to 15 mins to keep heart rate at 150+, but then without weights it is about 125-130. I am happy to go with the lower numbers, as can only be more beneficial to my weight loss journey, i was only really posting as a kind of newbie so other newbies could see that the threads they read are true and it can be a big difference, even if my tech is slightly out.
    It does worry me that i see people saying they have burned 300 cals doing half an hour of walking at a slow pace, as i bust my butt for the hour lol! but i am losing slowly and steadily so it is still working for me....... for now :smile:

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    pinkiezoom wrote: »

Thanks for this, i have looked into it, and it does seem a little low, but i use weights now as i am walking to make sure i keep my heart rate up, obviously i cant do it for the full hour yet only worked up to 15 mins to keep heart rate at 150+, but then without weights it is about 125-130. I am happy to go with the lower numbers, as can only be more beneficial to my weight loss journey, i was only really posting as a kind of newbie so other newbies could see that the threads they read are true and it can be a big difference, even if my tech is slightly out.
    It does worry me that i see people saying they have burned 300 cals doing half an hour of walking at a slow pace, as i bust my butt for the hour lol! but i am losing slowly and steadily so it is still working for me....... for now :smile:

Keep up the "slow" progress. I lose about 2 pounds a month, its slow but it works! Your HRM might actually be correct if your heart rate is around 125-130. Try to do shorter workouts but keep your heart rate up past that. 15 minutes is a good start at a rate of 150, try doing some interval training instead of steady state cardio :) My treadmill shows a burn of 450 calories while my HRM shows 320. It is a big difference, but keeps me aware of how hard I have to work in order to burn off those extra calories.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    katya_be wrote: »
    pinkiezoom wrote: »

Keep up the "slow" progress. I lose about 2 pounds a month, its slow but it works! Your HRM might actually be correct if your heart rate is around 125-130. Try to do shorter workouts but keep your heart rate up past that. 15 minutes is a good start at a rate of 150, try doing some interval training instead of steady state cardio :) My treadmill shows a burn of 450 calories while my HRM shows 320. It is a big difference, but keeps me aware of how hard I have to work in order to burn off those extra calories.

Brilliant advice and thanks will factor this in when i change my gym routines after my holiday, it is getting harder and harder to get my heart rate up as i am getting thinner or fitter ( not sure which ) hence why i take the weights onto the treadmill with me.