Should I join weight watchers to lose 20 lbs?

Options
I'm currently floating around 145-149. id like to lose my last 20 lbs but no matter how healthy i eat i cant seem to get out of the 140s.

I'm thinking that weight watchers will help me "watch" what i put in to my body and give me a schedule of when the best times for me to eat are

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    WW likes to encourage breakfast but otherwise it's pretty much like MFP-- when you eat doesn't matter much, or even what you eat (except for satiety and health). Weight loss is 100% about how much you eat. You can count points or calories but if you're not losing, the answer is eat less, under either plan.

Though WW does encourage higher fiber & protein foods and lower fat & alcohol, so if you need that, it might be helpful.
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unless you think that you have to attend meetings and weigh in to lose weight, WW will not do anything different for you..that is other than take your money. I did WW for about 18 months, lost ~60 pounds but just couldn't get any lower at that time. I actually moved from WW to MFP because on WW you don't count fruit or veggies. That allowed me to find ways around the points I had, therefore not lose weight. You only can eat so much fruit before the calories do make a difference. MFP is calories in vs calories burned. It doesn't get much simpler. If you aren't losing weight and are following your daily goal, are you exercising? A lot? Could be you need to add a few calories, especially protein. Good LUck
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that you may already be at your ideal weight? From your profile pic, you look great (I'd kill to have your figure!). Sometimes we have an ideal weight in mind, but it may not be realistic for our body type and height.

If you still want to try, I wouldn't waste my money doing Weight Watchers. Just change up your calorie intake and keep logging. It may also be that you've hit a bit of a plateau and need to adjust your calories down again.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm currently floating around 145-149. id like to lose my last 20 lbs but no matter how healthy i eat i cant seem to get out of the 140s.
    I'm thinking that weight watchers will help me "watch" what i put in to my body and give me a schedule of when the best times for me to eat are
    If you need to be accountable to someone, what happens when you no longer pay for their supervision (WW)?
    Can you get the same from some of your MFP friends?

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
    Eating healthy has little to do with losing weight, except that you'd be eating more things which are lower calorie & more filling (vegetables, fiber).

At 5'5" and 145, you're at the top end of a healthy weight range (115 - 145).
    Going lower will be a very slow process. If you lose 0.5 lb per week, that's a lot.

If you want to be 130, eat 1300 calories & don't eat back what you exercise. (At least not as a daily practice.)
    Weigh / measure your food, track everything, increase your cardio (most efficient way to burn calories - try intervals if you don't want to add to the time), increase your weightlifting (will shape you even if you don't lose weight).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Exercise basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

Sleep enough
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein

As for the best times for you to eat...
    eat about half your calories for breakfast (see the last half of this post for the studies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

Motivation & encouragement (explained in blog post)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938

- Set small intermediate goals & celebrate every one.
    - Take measurements.
    - Take pictures.
    - Weigh yourself regularly.
    - Be flexible; forgive yourself.
    - Celebrate the non-scale victories (NSV's)
    - Don't give up!!!!
    - Don't make any food forbidden.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No just use this consistently and you'll be allgood

29509743.png
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    If you want in-person support groups, that's fine, but it's not going to help any more food-wise than MFP. In fact, it may present a small problem. WW assigns values to food based on calories, so you're still calorie counting, the same as you are here. But they allow you to eat virtually all veggies and fruits without counting and other things too in moderation, like sunflower seeds. Personally, I'm not a fan of saying some calories count and others don't. I don't believe there is any such thing as a free calorie and eating tons of these "free" things, I fear, would lead to weight gain.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    As much as I enjoyed WW, I don't think the program is the answer for you. You have to do your part and figure out the reason for your weigh fluctuations. It is normal for your weight to fluctuate due to a variety of reasons such as water retention due to high sodium levels, sudden exercise such as weight lifting or strength training, bowels, hormones, medication, etc. Nonetheless, if this has been going on for about a month or more then it's time to re-visit your calories consumptions. You may have to reset your calorie deficiency amount. If you don't have or use one, get a food scale and track as much as possible. Pay attention to your sodium levels and be mindful that exercise gadgets and machines tend to overestimate the amount of calories burned. Therefore, be conscious of eating all of those calories back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you want in-person support groups, that's fine, but it's not going to help any more food-wise than MFP. In fact, it may present a small problem. WW assigns values to food based on calories, so you're still calorie counting, the same as you are here. But they allow you to eat virtually all veggies and fruits without counting and other things too in moderation, like sunflower seeds. Personally, I'm not a fan of saying some calories count and others don't. I don't believe there is any such thing as a free calorie and eating tons of these "free" things, I fear, would lead to weight gain.

This!^

If you want to manipulate the WW program bad enough....you can. Fiber gives you points back (or at least it used to).

What to eat and when to eat......not really a factor. You can eat crap & lose weight, or eat well and lose weight. You can eat everything in one meal and lose weight. You just have to find consistency. If meetings & weigh-ins promote that.....then WW will help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You look awesome on your profile pic and if it's current, I don't really see where you want to lose 20 pounds from.

Personally, I would feel that I'm throwing money out of the window with weight watcher, MFP is better in my opinion, and well, it's free. If you want the support groups though, yeah weight watcher might be worth it, but I think they would probably just annoy me.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    But they allow you to eat virtually all veggies and fruits without counting and other things too in moderation, like sunflower seeds.
    Sunflower seeds aren't free. They're high points, given the high fat content. I just didn't want anyone to rush out and join WW for the 'free sunflower seeds' or try it at home. But maybe you meant you can eat them in moderation. You can eat anything in moderation on WW. Like calorie counting, it's just what fits your numbers and what is worth it to you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit??
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers works great for people who have a five day a week job and do the same amount of activity consistently. If you enjoy meetings and that sort support group then WW can be a great tool. I learned quite a bit from weightwatchers, but found that because in my lifestyle, my exercise varies greatly from day to day, it was not the right program for me. Also WW tend to push their weightloss products which don't really interest me. But a lot of people I know have controlled their weight with the help of WW.

I myself have had much more success with MFP.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that you may already be at your ideal weight? From your profile pic, you look great (I'd kill to have your figure!). Sometimes we have an ideal weight in mind, but it may not be realistic for our body type and height.
    ^ THIS.
    FIRST.... I know I sound like an old fart (and I kinda am) but NEVER EVER compromise your health for vanity.
    I checked out your profile and saw you were within the healthy range for your height,
    when I was at your age too, but always thought I was fat and needed to lose more,
    and I YO-YOed because I went past what was realistic to maintain for my body type.

Now that I'm twice your age. I think about all the time I wasted worrying about what other peoples perceptions were, not even that i worried about what I thought other people perceptions were. It's not who loses the most the fastest, but who can be the healthiest the longest

But you're beautiful, you're healthy, relax and live an awesome life... Work, play, live, love, laugh... your body is your vehicle for life and there are no trade-ins so keep it strong and healthy. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds, that's fine... but DO NOT stress over it, it will just seem like wasted time and effort 20 years from now. What's important to me now is that I'm strong enough to hike and kayak and throw the great-nieces+nephews up in the air (and catch them!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ^ THIS.
    FIRST.... I know I sound like an old fart (and I kinda am) but NEVER EVER compromise your health for vanity.
    I checked out your profile and saw you were within the healthy range for your height,
    when I was at your age too, but always thought I was fat and needed to lose more,
    and I YO-YOed because I went past what was realistic to maintain for my body type.

Now that I'm twice your age. I think about all the time I wasted worrying about what other peoples perceptions were, not even that i worried about what I thought other people perceptions were. It's not who loses the most the fastest, but who can be the healthiest the longest

But you're beautiful, you're healthy, relax and live an awesome life... Work, play, live, love, laugh... your body is your vehicle for life and there are no trade-ins so keep it strong and healthy. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds, that's fine... but DO NOT stress over it, it will just seem like wasted time and effort 20 years from now. What's important to me now is that I'm strong enough to hike and kayak and throw the great-nieces+nephews up in the air (and catch them!)

I like you.