The Biggest loser--Extreme Weight loss, FAD diets--Oh Boy!

Options
I go cross-eyed watching these shows, and I wonder how many people actually believe that they have to work out every single day of the week, 2 hours or more to lose weight, because of these shows?

Even on MFP, I see many new-comers wanting to lose weight that mention this horrific schedule of exercise, when they probably haven't exercised a single day in their lives. Why? Because their main objective is to lose weight. Do people forget that in the 1950's, it was hard to find someone that was overweight. Jogging & gym's with the exception of the YMCA did not exist. Yet most people were thin. My mother who never weighed over 120 pounds in her life. I didn't watch my Dad do a 100 push-ups every night, yet they both were considered thin. YES, kids played more outside, there was nothing else for them to do. But the adults weren't jogging. If someone would have seen that they would have been very curious as what the person was running from--ha.ha. There were no adult exercise classes.

NOT that I am bashing exercise, I myself have been Jazzercising for decades, but moderately, with no insane schedule of I am going to kill myself to lose a pound. My husband is a runner, he too has been doing it for decades. Obviously, in the real world outside of The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight loss, the majority of people who want to exercise cannot realistically take on that kind of an exercise schedule--but we see time and again, people trying to run the gauntlet of an extreme exercise routine. Those who are bound to get so burnt out after a couple of weeks, they stop forever, or injure themselves. All because they believe it's necessary to lose weight.

Then we have all these weird diets and snake oil potions to lose weight "quickly." Don't eat that, do eat this, on and on it goes. We didn't eat differently in the 1950's than we do now. There was always meat, potatoes, vegi's and fruit. The difference was cake and ice cream were for special occasions, not an every night after dinner desert. My mother always insisted on a balanced diet of the above. Milk and peanut butter/jelly sandwiches were always a main source for lunch. But how many people think they can never eat peanut butter again, when it really is the "Fit persons" ice cream out of the pint.

But overall the difference was not in the menu's but the size of the plate, meaning portion control.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I guess for me I'm fed up with fad diets - years and years of trying everything and not ever being able to stick with it because none of them are something you can stick at.
    Everyone needs to just try and move a bit, and with that moving you get fitter and then want to move even more...and of course with eating in moderation weight loss just happens and none of it feels hard.
    Thats why I love MFP, it educates us to how much we're eating, we make changes, long term ones too and we are encouraged to move a bit more as it helps ..win win :-D
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have never and will never watch TBL or any other show like it - in my mind it promotes unhealthy behaviors and I refuse to waste a moment of my time on it.

I agree with a lot of the things you said. Pretty much everything really. I love my balance of exercise and food right now. I work with a trainer once a week and go to dance once a week, and try to get in one more weight day and also walk at least one more day every week. It's not so time consuming that it's obsessive, and it makes me feel good.
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is a web page I like to visit called Gdonna Generations before use. She writes a lot like you do. I love visiting that site and seeing how life was in the 50s and how much healthier it was then. You are right, it doesn't take hours of work a day. Sinply balancing what you do with what you eat is just about enough. Add in an hour of consciously actively living and that should do it. I am trying to teach my children that trick. it doesn't mean running on a tread mill and tearing up your joint, simply going for an after dinner walk or walking to go get some icecream instead of driving. Seems children have no clue what amount they should be eating. Ihave one child who seem he barely eats enough and another who will eat anything if I let him. I believe these habit came about as parents got busier and busier and were unable to take the time to prepare healthy meals and teach their children healthy habits. I am one of those parents. But with the help of these two sites I have been finding healthier ways for all of us.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I dont know... I think we eat very differently than they did in the 1950's. Look at all the boxed foods, fast foods, microwaveable foods, whereas before most items were homemade. But I do agree, Plate size is a big issue as well.... but I think the quality of food definitely isn't what it used to be. Im 37 and I would say as a kid my mother made perhaps 40% of our meals, I dont have kids but from talking to some of my friends....very few of them make home cooked meals they all come from boxes or fast food for convenience. Veggies and fruits when bought are eaten raw because they dont know how to cook them.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I dont know... I think we eat very differently than they did in the 1950's. Look at all the boxed foods, fast foods, microwaveable foods, whereas before most items were homemade. But I do agree, Plate size is a big issue as well.... but I think the quality of food definitely isn't what it used to be. Im 37 and I would say as a kid my mother made perhaps 40% of our meals, I dont have kids but from talking to some of my friends....very few of them make home cooked meals they all come from boxes or fast food for convenience. Veggies and fruits when bought are eaten raw because they dont know how to cook them.

QFT

Things are so different now....besides the humungous portions of food everywhere, we are also a much more sedentary society. Also, more families rely on convenience foods because there are more dual-income households than back in the 50's.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. The sad reality is, it just doesn't make good TV to show video of people not eating. Showing them sweating and crying is much more entertaining. They VERY MUCH downplay the obvious fact that they are severely restricting the diets of the contestants. ~Scott
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    There are so many differences between now and the 1950's. One being that most women didn't work full-time jobs back then. They kept house, made bagged lunches, and cooked from scratch. This led to the father who probably lived a sedentary life, coming home to a home cooked meal that was probably pretty healthy. I do believe that food in general is different now, too. Yeah, we can categorize it the same, but that doesn't make the quality the same. I believe it's all about portion control and food choices. And since our food choices are poorer than what they were in the 1950s, it's now about physical activity to help our bodies deal with our less healthy food choices.

We do have a higher life expectancy than before during the 1950s, though. That could be due to a combination of things from physical activity to medical advances (knowledge, medicines, vaccines). But, then again, that doesn't mean much. I know I don't want to live out my last 15 or so years in a nursing home..

I think the hugest change has been a cultural one. It really doesn't take much to cook a real meal at home, but the average person who works 8+ hours a day and commutes at least about 30 minutes or so a day, doesn't want to deal with that. We also have more people going to college now than we did in the 1950s which means more terrible quick meals or fast food with friends while studying. Yes, they can meal prep because it really doesn't take that long, but they won't.

Less healthier choices are cheap, as well. I can buy a pack of hot dogs or bologna for $1 each. Poor quality but it will feed a few people.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have never and will never watch TBL or any other show like it - in my mind it promotes unhealthy behaviors and I refuse to waste a moment of my time on it.

I agree with a lot of the things you said. Pretty much everything really. I love my balance of exercise and food right now. I work with a trainer once a week and go to dance once a week, and try to get in one more weight day and also walk at least one more day every week. It's not so time consuming that it's obsessive, and it makes me feel good.

Totally agree. I think a lot of people who start an extreme exercise schedule, need to realize that life eventually going to get in the way of that, and they need to pick a schedule that they can stay with, even after they hit their goal weight, and start out with that. Exercise is for life, it's not until I hit my goal and then I'll stop. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have that mindset.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. My mom has a co-worker who is carb free and works out 7 days a week. She is skin and bones. I don’t know how she keeps going. A good fitness trainer will tell you to work out 4 days a week and give your body time to rest. If you listen to Jillian Michaels podcasts she even says she has struggled with being part of that show. She wanted to help people but in good conscience couldn’t do what the show wanted her to do. She left and came back several times and eventually was let go. I kind of like the extreme weight loss show. They work with them for a year; they do talk about food and exercise. No one gets kicked off. Also when they see the skin surgeon he isn’t quick to do the surgery, he explains why it wouldn’t be the right time. Some get it before the end but some don’t.
  • hearthwood
    Options
    There are so many differences between now and the 1950's. One being that most women didn't work full-time jobs back then. They kept house, made bagged lunches, and cooked from scratch. This led to the father who probably lived a sedentary life, coming home to a home cooked meal that was probably pretty healthy. I do believe that food in general is different now, too. Yeah, we can categorize it the same, but that doesn't make the quality the same. I believe it's all about portion control and food choices. And since our food choices are poorer than what they were in the 1950s, it's now about physical activity to help our bodies deal with our less healthy food choices.

We do have a higher life expectancy than before during the 1950s, though. That could be due to a combination of things from physical activity to medical advances (knowledge, medicines, vaccines). But, then again, that doesn't mean much. I know I don't want to live out my last 15 or so years in a nursing home..

I think the hugest change has been a cultural one. It really doesn't take much to cook a real meal at home, but the average person who works 8+ hours a day and commutes at least about 30 minutes or so a day, doesn't want to deal with that. We also have more people going to college now than we did in the 1950s which means more terrible quick meals or fast food with friends while studying. Yes, they can meal prep because it really doesn't take that long, but they won't.

Less healthier choices are cheap, as well. I can buy a pack of hot dogs or bologna for $1 each. Poor quality but it will feed a few people.

My mother worked 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and still managed to put dinner on every night. She had 4 kids. She did it until she retired. In fact, she just turned 84 and still cooks for herself. She still insists on a salad every night along with whatever else she is cooking.

Back in the 1950's there were no large chain grocery stores, and very little fast food. Back then small corner groceries was where you got your food. Now we have 2 isles of Frito Lay, another isle for candy and cookies, a bakery department, a deli--and processed food galore--and fast food on every corner.

The average 9 year old today weighs 10 pounds more than a 9 year old in the 1950's. Scary.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I understand and agree. I really don't know how I feel about the general health of first world countries, but honestly. For very healthy 80 something out there, I can show you at least 5 who have generally led unhealthy lives. I've worked in nursing homes for years, it wouldn't be difficult.

I'm out of my depth, but society changes-- can't stop that, but individuals really do not. The only things we can do are learn, lead by example, and educate our offspring so that they can have the necessary tools in order to make good choices.
  • hearthwood
    Options
    I understand and agree. I really don't know how I feel about the general health of first world countries, but honestly. For very healthy 80 something out there, I can show you at least 5 who have generally led unhealthy lives. I've worked in nursing homes for years, it wouldn't be difficult.

I think all the "conveniences" that we have today, have added a lot to the problem. Myself I got caught up into the bakery department at the grocery store. I don't have to cook a cake to eat one now, ha.ha. The cupcakes really attracted my attention, a little too much. Over several years, and my refusal to get on a scale, somehow 25 pounds did a stealth attack on my body, and then I started thinking back to my childhood. Why didn't I see fat people in the 50's, what were we eating, and specifically how much were we eating.

They certainly didn't exercise, like we do today. Well, it's taken me a long time to take off this 25 pounds, now I am just 1/2 pound from what I used to weight. It's all worth it. MFP has made that possible.

Eat less--Move more--friends.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually, I happen to enjoy extreme exercise. I just about always have some mild tendonitis somewhere, and I don't mind. I look around and I see heavy people with canes, and people my age with backs that are killing them because they sit too much, and I think: Why not be a little sore from working out? Better than diabetes. Better than circulatory problems leading to phlebitis. Better than joint problems because I am too heavy.
    The main problem is that a family can actually feed themselves more cheaply at McDonald's than they can shopping for fruits and vegetables and all the ancillary ingredients needed for cooking a meal themselves -- especially if they avail themselves of the dollar menu.
    It is rather fascinating to compare an elementary school class photo from today to one from the 1950s and even mid-1960s (when I was in school). In those days, maybe one kid in each grade (of three 30-person classes) was "heavy." Now, about half of every class is! At least it was at my kids' school -- and it was a student body from fairly well-to-do families. And, about one kid in every class is frankly obese.
  • hearthwood
    Options
    Actually, I happen to enjoy extreme exercise. I just about always have some mild tendonitis somewhere, and I don't mind. I look around and I see heavy people with canes, and people my age with backs that are killing them because they sit too much, and I think: Why not be a little sore from working out? Better than diabetes. Better than circulatory problems leading to phlebitis. Better than joint problems because I am too heavy.
    The main problem is that a family can actually feed themselves more cheaply at McDonald's than they can shopping for fruits and vegetables and all the ancillary ingredients needed for cooking a meal themselves -- especially if they avail themselves of the dollar menu.
    It is rather fascinating to compare an elementary school class photo from today to one from the 1950s and even mid-1960s (when I was in school). In those days, maybe one kid in each grade (of three 30-person classes) was "heavy." Now, about half of every class is! At least it was at my kids' school -- and it was a student body from fairly well-to-do families. And, about one kid in every class is frankly obese.

Again, I am not bashing exercise. I am not certain what you mean, that you are doing "extreme exercise." I have friends that run the Leadville 50 and the 100,. My nephew does the 100 on a mountain bike. They train hard, some get to the finish line, others don't. My husband is an ultramathoner. I am an avide Jazzerciser, and have been doing it for decades, even when I had no weight to lose. I am a native of Colorado, we are still the lowest weight, and the most exercising state in the nation. It's more unusual to find someone that doesn't work out, than it does finding people who consistently work out.

What I am stating is that I think a lot of beginners who watch the Biggest Loser, and or Extreme Weight loss come away with the false impression that they need to work out everyday of the week, for 2 or more hours to lose weight, when that is simply not the case. Their goal is to lose weight, and as we all know you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It's just calories in versus calories out--and that is the point I am making. Some take it to the extreme, when they have really never worked out before. This results in burnout or injury.

Their work, home, kid schedules don't fit in with their routines, and they end up giving up exercise altogether. My suggestion to them, is to first of all, find something that they like to do, and secondly fit it into their busy schedule comfortably so they can do it permanently. If that means it starts out with 1 hour session once or twice a week, that's fine.

It's important for them to understand, endurance comes slowly. You walk before you run, then increase frequency and intensity to get the to the fitness level you want, and that endurance and strength comes from consistency. A consistency, that has to fit into busy-life schedules comfortably.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    not only that... but from what Ive heard is that not only are they exercising crazy amounts a time per day... but the timeframes in which they weigh in are actually longer than a week. So people are REALLY getting a skewed version of things... smh
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used to watch TBL and based my goals off that. Then I got realistic. :ohwell: I do like the workout DVDs and still use them from time to time.
  • hearthwood
    Options
    not only that... but from what Ive heard is that not only are they exercising crazy amounts a time per day... but the timeframes in which they weigh in are actually longer than a week. So people are REALLY getting a skewed version of things... smh

The weigh-in's on Extreme Weight loss are every 90 days--LOL. Of course it's based on losing 1/2 of your body weight in one year, so the first 90 days one is expected to lose 80 to sometimes over 100 pounds and then it drops down from there. That's what you call "extreme."
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I see The Biggest Loser for what it is...entertainment and shock television. No, what they do on there is not healthy, and I believe might inspire some to go to extremes or to get easily frustrated when they don't see the same results. But those that are a bit more educated on eating right and exercise shouldn't fall into that trap. I mean, it's not all bad. They do give some good tips occasionally, and there are some decent workout videos that have come out based on the show. I do still watch it. I like to see the before and afters and I find those inspiring even if I don't agree with how they went about it. But honestly, people shouldn't use that show as a normal example of how to lose weight...it's about extremes there. I would hope that most have the common sense to see it for what it is and try not to imitate what they do or expect similar result from their own lifestyle change.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've never liked the meaning behind the show. These people weren't motivated enough to lose weight until a TV network dangled money in front of their face... a lot of them giving these sob stories about how they want to be healthier for their kids and family and how they don't have time to work out... then after the show, they suddenly have time to workout and mentor obese kids? Not to mention, the few times I've tried to watch it... just too many product placements; eat this yogurt as a meal replacement to help lose weight, these baked chips are a great alternative for snacking, subway sandwiches are better than Big Macs, etc.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    The average 9 year old today weighs 10 pounds more than a 9 year old in the 1950's. Scary.

Building bigger football players.