HIIT questions

Options
Background (feel free to skip): I have been strength training for a year or so and absolutely love it. I started because I pinched a nerve in my back after putting my camelbak in the back seat of my car. My Chiropractor told me to start compound strength training; squats, deadlifts etc. I fell in love with powerlifting and look forward to every lifting session. I have been seeing my chiropractor about once every six weeks for mobility work etc. and he recommended that I start with HIIT to start losing some fat.

I tried running intervals. The first session I was planning to sprint for 20 seconds, walk for 90 seconds and repeat ten times or as many times as I could. Everything I read told me that I should be gassed by the end of each sprint interval. The first interval was a bit too easy so I upped my effort level and pulled my hamstring. I did warm up beforehand but apparently it wasn't enough. Needless to say I'm a bit spooked by the potential for this to happen again.

Question: what are some good exercises I can do for HIIT at home? I am thinking jumping jacks and maybe burpees but I am really at a loss here.

Replies

• Fit_Therapy
    Fit_Therapy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jump rope! And burpees, mountain climbers, plyometrics. Anything that gets your heart rate high at a fast rate.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    neilarey.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html

I started doing this last week...they are quick and intense (for me at least) but best of all can do them in place.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    with sprinting, you have to really stretch the quads, hamstrings, hip flexors/extensors, calves and Achilles. the way I do sprint interval training is go outside and go as fast as I can for roughly 100 meters (so 12-15 seconds). Then either I do a bodyweight exercise to completely exhaust myself or I go straight for the rest period. I rest until my heart rate dips below 130 and then I do another sprint. 6-10 sprint intervals is plenty.

Other options for HIIT....basically anything that gets your HR to near max in relatively short bursts. The reason you want to get your HR to near max is to trigger EPOC, which is what triggers the afterburn process (and it increases your cardio capacity as well). sooooo...you could do burpees or jumping jacks (fast) or med ball smashes or jump squats or high knees. Basically, anything where you can get your HR to near max relatively quickly. Then the key is to REST until your HR drops below 120/130 so that you can go all out for the next interval. Too many folks think HIIT is working hard for some sustained period of time. While that may be intense training, its not HIIT because there's no way you can work at near max HR level for any real sustained period of time....and if you're not working at near max HR level, you're not going to get the EPOC/afterburn benefit.