(UK) How much do you spend weekly on shopping?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I spend between £80 and £100 (including toiletries/cleaning supplies etc) and that is for a family of 5.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Food £28 a week, shop at Aldi (Ewh yeah I know right!) but the meat is cheap and i really only eat Meat, Vegetables, Tinned Veg and bread, its pretty boring, I also live in up north where *kitten* cheaper.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Close to everything.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I spend around £50 a week on myself for food. Plenty of fresh vegetables, fruit and meat. I also love fish and the very occasional meal out :-)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Last months shopping cost me £40 + eggs, milk, and a bit of beef bought during the month, So maybe £60. But it's usually just me at home and then dinner for husband two nights a week, when I lived on my own I could spend £25 a month on groceries.
    As an FYI I make all meals from scratch (and bread if I have time) and only buy quality meat from the butchers, the good thing about the butchers is you can say 'I want £2 of mince' etc. and only get what you can afford, but if I can't budget for meat we go without.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    £40-£50 a week for two of us. Lots of fresh veg, cereal, eggs, apples and usually 3-4 meat dinners in the week. We do scour through the supermarket for the deals though and religiously check out the reduced section wherever we go- Vultures Corner with the yellow stickers lol.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Between the two of us we normally spend about £15 at the greengrocers and then around £50 at the supermarket getting everthing else. Gets up to around £80 if we are buying alcohol.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    20 quid, and then I nick the rest.....
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I spend between £45 and £60 a week depending on how empty the cupboards are and it includes catfood, cleaning products, etc. for 2 people.

Weekly staples are bread mainly for the other half, ocassionally I will buy myself a granary loaf, skimmed milk, no added sugar squash, cheese (for him again I hate cheese), some veg but it varies but I always have tomatoes, carrots, celery, red onions, peppers, cucumber, radishes, potatoes, lettuce and garlic in the house, some fruit but it varies to whats on offer and what I'm in the mood for.

Store cupboard staples are eggs, tomato puree, stock cubes (veg, chicken and beef), tinned kidney beans,tinned tomatoes and baked beans (for him I don't actually like baked beans), passata, , pasta shapes, spaghetti, red lentils, green split peas, brown rice and noodles (again for him I'm not keen on noodles I rather just have the veggie stirfry), stirfry sauce usually something like them sweet and sour or sweet chilli sachets you can buy everywhere now. Meat wise I usually have a selection depending on whats on offer but staples are beef mince, bacon and chicken breast then I might have pork shoulder steaks, turkey breast steaks (I love the hot and spicy one from morrisons grilled with some salad), steak, chicken thighs, whole chicken for roasts, braising steak in winter for stews. I always have vegetable oil, coconut oil and olive oil and a selection of sauces (I'm a bit of a sauce fiend). Almost forgot, plain flour, self raising flour, yeast, sultana's, porridge oats, selection of nuts and seeds, brown sugar, most important tea bags, coffee and sugar for him.

I cook a lot from scratch I'm not overly keen on pre packaged food but I will have at least 1 or 2 easy meals a week such as mini pizza's (I mean for 50p who can say no just add salad he presto), I always have homemade pasta sauce in the freezer just cook spaghetti or something and done! I do ocassionally buy pasta bake sauce or korma sauce in a jar but these can be quite calorific so its more of a treat. I don't tend to buy branded foods Its over priced and supermarkets own or even value range can be just as good except for tomato ketchup that has to be Heinz I'm afraid.

Whoa quite a lot actually once I see it all written down, I don't buy this all in one week though I should really point that out.
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    £30 a week since I stopped buying alcohol.