Autumn Food for Thought

Options
A crisp wind is afoot at twilight; it is harvest time. My dinners are comprised of gourds, beef, wild game; sometimes a tort for dessert with apples and cognac. The days grow shorter, and I have taken to long walks in the hills for reflection on Ovid's masterwork, Metamorphoses.

So many lovers in that book. Me, my heart is hardened, much like tree resin that has petrified into amber. Such a piece, with an insect trapped inside, rests as an ornament atop my walking cane.

I am not crippled, but I find a good cane and a pack of Rottweilers comes in handy. I am rarely approached, which is good, because I do not like to be interrupted in thought, or ever.

But metamorphoses, change.. . A suitable theme for the season. Some, for instance, say I lack empathy. This is not true. There are indeed things that move me: my dogs, certain cocktail waitresses, the music of Bach.

Here and there, out on my stroll, the wind carries the smell of chimney smoke. My dogs start growling. Something has snapped in the woods--perhaps a squirrel or rabbit, but given the wind, now grown more fierce, it could have been a falling branch. It is, after all, the season of change. Perhaps I will change too. But in the meantime, what to make for dinner tonight...
-G.e.C.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    My body starts to crave those comfort foods of fall. Just did up some sausages this weekend and have this with sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon/sugar and acorn squash for lunch. Have some venison steaks thawing and a roast in the freezer that needs to come out.

Yup, yup.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You need to stop smokin' them tweeds, my bro.

Also,

YOLO
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

never ever
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

never ever
    word is bond.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. But I do like cocktail waitresses
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed that...

I was bringing in some firewood yesterday and the scent on the air brought back memories of my sophmore year of high school, playing field hockey, going for walks with my boyfriend. Strange but marvelous how smells can bring you back.

The other strange thing was the temprature. It was 66 degrees out when I went to get groceries, the sun was out and there was a slight breeze but I felt quite comfortable in my t-shirt, yoga pants and flip flops. About two hours later, I went back out dressed the same way, to get a coffee for Hubs - still 66 degrees according to my car, but the sun had gone behind the clouds and it felt about 10 degrees cooler.