Need motivation! Thyroid is halting all weight loss.

First time poster.. I have been hypothyroid for 22 years. I take 300mcg a day of levothyroxine (Most docs at first think my dosage is huge and must be an error but sadly its not). Anyways i started my weight loss journey in July. At first i was losing the weight and trust me i have plenty to lose. But in September i hit a wall. I counted every calorie and was always at a deficit and i walked over 50 miles just in September and i lost no weight! i actually gained 6 pounds. I am so very frustrated right now. I went today and had some thyroid tests done so i am hoping to get a answer in a few days. Doc is doing a full thyroid panel including t3 and t4.

I just want to quit and give up but i know i cant. I do not want to quit!! just losing the weight i have has made me feel much more confident. But its so hard i am at the point where i don't even know why i continue to try. Ughhh thanks for letting me vent. How can i work so hard and gain weight??

Replies

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    I also have hypothyrodism. I gained 70 pounds and bottomed out, finally coming to that diagnosis. I find losing weight extremely difficult but I'm going to stay the course - progress is slow but quitting won't make it faster. I hope that with your recent test and doctor's visit you will find some solutions. I wish you all the best on your journey.
  • RosesForMommy
    RosesForMommy Posts: 7 Member
    I am so sorry you are going through all this. Hopefully the blood work gives you some answers. I was in a similar situation since January and just had my levothroxine increased and have hopes I will be back on track soon. It is tough to keep working so hard when you do not see results but it is all worth it in the end. I am hopeful that you will be back on the road to weightloss soon. *hugs*
  • Wow, that is a huge dose! By comparison, I only have half a thyroid gland (cancer) and am on 100mcg.

Are you measuring absolutely everything you eat? And how are you tracking your calories burned from walking? If you are not weighing/ measuring everything, you could be eating more than you think. If you are using MFP to estimate your calories burned, rather than a fitbit or heart rate monitor, it could be overestimating what you burn.

Those two things in combination could by halting your weight loss, especially if you "eat back" 100% of your exercise calories.

I've also heard (though not sure of validity) that certain foods, especially those such as kale, brussels sprouts etc. inhibit the absorption of thyroid medications. I didn't look at your diary, but if you've upped your consumption of these foods, ask your doctor if that could have an effect.
  • kristaldstanley
    kristaldstanley Posts: 9 Member
    i do not measure but maybe that would be a good thing to try. I try to estimate high but its definitely worth a shot. I use a Heart rate monitor for exercise to count my burned calories.

Thanks for the support guys!
  • candygirl13000
    candygirl13000 Posts: 6 Member
    I know how you feel!! I also have thyroid problems. Last year, I was doing everything right...walking, eating right and still wasn't losing. I did give up and by the beginning of this year, I was heavier than I have ever been. Please don't throw in the towel...it took you years and years to gain the weight, it may take a while to lose it! Change something small, like drinking more water or cutting something out of your diet. Sometimes your body may just need something different. Good luck on the tests...I hope they can fix your thyroid so you can get back on track!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Synthetic levothyroxine never really helped me. When I got switched to natural Armour Thyroid (still RX, made from pig thyroids) I became able to lose weight again. Try talking to your doctor about something like that.

and yes it's true about the kale, and also any raw cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower. avoid those!
  • and yes it's true about the kale, and also any raw cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower. avoid those!
    So it is true :) do you know if it's okay once in a while and/ or if cooked? I love my brussels sprouts and kale.