Treadmill broken/ Depressed. Advice please?

Options
Hi everyone.
I am still pretty new to this site/ app and need some advice and encouragement. I have been dieting for a couple months now. I have lost 20 lbs through diet along. 2 weeks ago I purchased a used treadmill and it has broken now. I am terrified I will gain that weight back before I can purchase another one. It will probably be a few weeks before I can do that. I am thoroughly depressed as walking outside is simply not an option for me (please don't suggest it).

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    What about exercise videos?
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    That is a really good suggestion that I have never thought of. Are there any good ones on youtube? That you could recommend? Defiantly something low intensity. I am still a beginner.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I am still pretty new to this site/ app and need some advice and encouragement. I have been dieting for a couple months now. I have lost 20 lbs through diet along. 2 weeks ago I purchased a used treadmill and it has broken now. I am terrified I will gain that weight back before I can purchase another one. It will probably be a few weeks before I can do that. I am thoroughly depressed as walking outside is simply not an option for me (please don't suggest it).

Just Walk, Walk at Home, Walk Away the Pounds.........are low impact videos by Leslie Sansone. Lots of illegal uploads on YouTube (you won't find the Just Walk ones...they're too new).

If you like these videos....Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, sell the newer Just Walk videos. Newer ones are chaptered (you can make them shorter, or longer) and some have a music-only option. This one is great!

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/leslie-sansones-walk-to-the-hits-radio-remixes

I like this one too...it's programmable and includes some strength training....

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/leslie-sansones-ultimate-5-day-walk-plan
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You said not to but I'm going to anyway, run outside. Dreadmill sucks.
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    Wow, Thank you! I will definitely try some of these.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Why won't you walk outside?? I know only a few people who will use a treadmill and I'm not one of them...
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Home workouts are a great choice. You can find Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on Youtube I think. I personally loved Insanity and T25 :)

There are plenty of ways to get exercise in other than using a treadmill. You just gotta find an alternative! You are doing so well so far, don't give up now! :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well there's always the great outdoors. I'd be depressed if I had a working treadmill, and ecstatic the day that it broke.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Just wanted to respond on your note about being terrified of gaining back the weight...

Remember, if you're eating at an appropriate deficit, you shouldn't gain the weight back whether exercise is part of your routine or not. Exercise is great and can definitely help the weight loss process - plus, it's good for other things, like building endurance, stamina and overall fitness skills, but it's not the deciding factor on whether or not you gain or lose weight. However, what you eat will make a huge difference. So even when you're unable to exercise, just be mindful of your food, and you should be able to lose.

As for exercise suggestions, I really like the free workouts on FitnessBlender.com They're designed for people who want to get 'gym-like results' at home, and they have everything from cardio to strength training to yoga. I personally don't have a gym membership, nor do I have any workout machines at home, and I've seen some great results from using FB's routines.

Best of luck!
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    I guess different people prefer different things? I love my treadmill and the workouts that I get from it. I wasn't asking for people to criticize my exercise choices, just to offer some alternatives until I can buy me a new one. I love that there are people who can run outside, I am not on of them.
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    Just wanted to respond on your note about being terrified of gaining back the weight...

Remember, if you're eating at an appropriate deficit, you shouldn't gain the weight back whether exercise is part of your routine or not. Exercise is great and can definitely help the weight loss process - plus, it's good for other things, like building endurance, stamina and overall fitness skills, but it's not the deciding factor on whether or not you gain or lose weight. However, what you eat will make a huge difference. So even when you're unable to exercise, just be mindful of your food, and you should be able to lose.

As for exercise suggestions, I really like the free workouts on FitnessBlender.com They're designed for people who want to get 'gym-like results' at home, and they have everything from cardio to strength training to yoga. I personally don't have a gym membership, nor do I have any workout machines at home, and I've seen some great results from using FB's routines.

Best of luck!

Thank you. My calorie deficit is usually still around 1000 even when I do not exercise so that is comforting. Thank you for the suggestion. I will defiantly look into that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

You lost weight before the treadmill.

Treadmill breaks.

You think you'll gain it back.

Why?

As you have proved out, weight loss is about eating less than you burn - that's it.
    If you are doing less, you have to eat less - perhaps that's what you mean, you like the higher eating levels that come with burning more.

Calisthenics is in the database, and is anything weight based mostly, so you can use that to log doing pushups, jumping jacks, glute bridges, squats, burpees, ect. Rotate between them and get a full body muscle workout.

That'll be better than walking/running to maintain muscle mass everywhere. If you only do cardio, and fat comes off with about normal 20% muscle, what's going to show underneath?
    Skinny fat is what it's called, usually regretted by those that get there, though they are happy with the scale weight. Sadly they know people don't see that, but their body.
  • michaelaeryn91
    michaelaeryn91 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I suffer from acute depression and emotional anxiety so I know exactly how you feel, but I am TELLING you going for a walk outside is not only beneficial for your body but your mind as well. Like grass? Walk in a field. Like the ocean? (me!) Walk along a pier. You will find what works for you. I'm not saying you have to love it, but you will feel it working. I know what it's like to not want to leave the house, I personally get nervous when I see strangers watching me. But you can do it! In the meantime the online videos sounds like a great idea!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I guess different people prefer different things? I love my treadmill and the workouts that I get from it. I wasn't asking for people to criticize my exercise choices, just to offer some alternatives until I can buy me a new one. I love that there are people who can run outside, I am not on of them.

Don't sweat the d-bags; some people just cannot handle the fact that everyone else isn't as perfectly awesome as they are. It's the internet where everyone is in every conversation even when they have nothing but negativity to add. *shrug* So those of us who are lame and sucky because we can handle treadmills have to stick together ;)

I use DVDs and not Youtube because I haven't gotten around to hooking my laptop up to the TV. For low-impact workouts, I like Ellen Barrett a lot. She does pilates-based videos so no jumping around, but the moves focus a lot on the big muscle groups so you can get your heart rate up pretty well.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Just keep doing what you were doing before you purchased this crappy treadmill. You'll be fine. It looks like you know what to do already. Of course there's always walking outside.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options

How about walking outside instead of running? At least it's something until you can get a new treadmill. The walking videos that have been suggested are good too. But nothing beats getting outside and taking a walk (for me anyway).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lost weight from being in a caloric deficit, not from the treadmill.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I workout indoors too. I don't assume everyone can/will workout outdoors. I live in the Midwest.....snow and below zero days would definitely slow down my workouts. Sure, I could just suck it up, but 57" of snow last year really screwed up the roads. Traffic lanes were much narrower & not all sidewalks were cleared.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a used DVD on ebay - Richard Simmons dancing with the oldies. Hard for me to keep up because of health issues but fun music and I bop along best I can.

I have a semi-recumbent stationary bike that I ride 5 - 6 days a week. I like the bike.

Remember that you lost the weight without exercise and you can maintain without it, though exercise is so good for you in so many ways. There's lots of things you can do at home and for free. Get creative and do some research online for sites offering workout advice and videos. Here's one I have bookmarked:

http://hasfit.com/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Go outside and walk?
    Go to a park and walk?

Gym membership an option?