How do you stay motivated when the scale doesn't like you?

Options
2»

Replies

• lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A lot of people already mentioned this but the scale just gives you a #. It doesn't know how you feel, how you look, if gotten stronger, how others see you, etc. etc..

If I'm feeling healthier and happy with the results that I see in the mirror, then the # on the scale means little.

Stay positive and good luck going forward.
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When the scale doesn't like me, we break up for awhile & just avoid each other. But usually after a week of the silent treatment we come back together & we like each other again! :flowerforyou:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I say to myself, self, in a month from now what would you rather look back on? A month of trying hard and being healthy or a month of having given up because of something a machine did?
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's definitely "a little non scale victory" - well done! :-) If you're working out quite a bit it's possible you're gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. That's why some people on MFP prefer to take their measurements once a week/month, instead of their weight. They know that it's possible to slim down while gaining weight.

I agree with the comment about water - drinking 2 litres a day is what was recommended by a website I consulted recently.

Good luck this week, stay on track, stay motivated! :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated because giving up is not an option, frankly.
  • shaw_d
    shaw_d Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that weight loss is usually delayed, so keep doing what you're doing and weigh in a week. Also, muscle weighs more than fat!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like to treat my weight as a science experiment. Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down, sometimes I have no idea what it's doing or why, but it's always very interesting to see.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Change you're attitude towards weighing. Treat weight loss as a present you're giving yourself:)
    Think of the scales a bit like a homeless cat that comes to visit you now and then. It's mischievous, sometimes friendly, sometimes not. It's unpredictable.

So what are you going to do about that? Change what you expect from it.

Now, in order to take the guesstimating out of the equation. Someone above mentioned thinking "process".

It will fluctuate. Accepting that the number will go up and down will calm you. Only if you see that it keeps going up, THEN you need to adjust. So keeping a tab on your trends are important for the peace of mind.

NET AVERAGE DAILY INTAKE is the golden number you want to have a clear overview of.

I made a calendar spreadsheet where I put in the numbers I get from MFP. Gross kcal intake, exercise burnt and then I calculate the averages for each week and month. Another column is my weight. So cause-effect is VERY CLEAR. No more surprises. If I ate too much over a week, I will see it and NOT expect a loss. Keep measuring too. When weight is stalled, sometimes your body is recomping... If you lost inches, but not weight.

Furthermore. If I feel bad cause I felt I snacked too much...the daily avg. intake tells me I'm fine as long as I stay in deficit.
    No need to worry!

Good luck:)