Anyone have a Suunto HRM?

Options
Hi All -- I've had a Suunto T3C HRM for a few years now and I *love* it but now it's died and since it's past its warranty it's going to cost 30 bucks minimum for Suunto to even look at it. I'm not sure if I should pay the money or if I should let it go and switch over. I hate to throw good money after bad, especially since I've already replaced the strap once. I think I bought it for almost $180 when it first came out.

But I do love that I can replace the battery myself unlike the Polar.

Any thoughts? Anyone used both Suunto and Polar?

I'm looking at the T6C. Anyone go from the T3 to the T6?

Replies

• gold27701
    gold27701 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am interested in seeing some other responses, I am in the market for an HRM and I have limited my search between Suunto (T4d, T6d) and a Polar. I have noticed that Polar has switched some of there units to "user battery replaceable", but they still don't recommend it do to the water proof seal.

As for the Suunto, I am leaning towards the T6d mainly because the "T4d + the movestick" is almost as costly as the T6d (which comes with a USB cable, but captures alot more information).

Wanderinglight, maybe you can answer the question that I have been pondering about Suunto. I read somewhere, that Suunto only honors the Warranty when you buy a Suunto from an authorized dealer. This bothers me, because I can buy the watch 40% less from a online dealer.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true, you can only buy it from an authorized dealer and have the warranty honored. I would suggest going that route as I did need to send my belt in once for a repair.

I ended up sending mine in to be checked out. After I called Suunto they said that the $30 minimum is actually not applicable in the US and that they will see what's wrong with it first before charging. Another reviewer on their site said that if they recognize the problem as something that occurs frequently they may just replace the watch. I'm curious to see what they do. I really miss my HRM!! Workouts are just not the same without it.

If they do say that it's over $30 to fix, then I may buy the Suunto T6D.

I had a Polar before I bought my Suunto and ended up returning it to REI and getting Suunto instead because I liked their interface more. Let me know what you decide!
  • gold27701
    gold27701 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wanderinglight,

I just purchased a Suunto T4d through Amazon, I waited until the unit went on sale before I purchased. I got it yesterday and today was my first workout day with it. I believe it will take a little time to get used to it, there is a lot of functions to the watch. I will update you on the purchase later, but I can see it will be useful in obtaining my goals.

How did your repair go?

Thanks...