How Long It Took Me To Lose The Weight.....

Options
Cleo….you asked how long it took me to lose the weight.
It took about 2 years to lose the weight. I honestly don’t know the exact date I started to lose the weight. I kind of snuck up on it and just did it. I never dwelled on the number of days I had been dieting. I quit smoking the same way. I just laid them down and kept my hands and mind busy so I wouldn’t smoke…..just like I kept my hands and mind busy so I wouldn’t eat. (I still do that to keep from eating)
I knew it would take a while to lose the weight but I also knew time was going to pass anyway so I just kept with the life style change and made use of that time to lose the weight. That is just what happened too. Now another 3 years have passed as well.
As for the smoking I can’t even tell you the day, month or year I had my last cigarette. I do know that it has been way over 10 years though.
The reason I know the number of years I have kept the weight off is the group I am in. When I reached my goal weight papers were filed with the head office and they keep up with it. I get a numeral charm for each year I keep it off. I just got my three year charm.
If you would like to know the name of the weight loss support group I am in I will tell you but I will wait for the OK before I leave the link here. I don’t want to do something I shouldn’t be doing.
It is a really good group and I highly recommend it. We have meetings once a week and I still go every week….it keeps me accountable. I know I have to face those scales every week and it helps me stay at my goal and not go over. If I go over goal and out of leeway then don’t get back in leeway with the allotted time I lose status. I would then have to get back to goal then start at year 1 again. I don’t want to lose the time I have already. It really helps me so much to not go over goal.
The group has been around for coming up on 60 years. We have members who have been in the group who have kept status for 50 years.
I am here alone most of the time and that is where this site comes in. I am a night owl….I keep really odd hours. There is no one up when I am up and need support. I can come here and read and post those times. It really gives me the boost I need when it is the middle of the night when I want to eat. The people here inspire me to keep going and not over eat…..which I can do easy in the middle of the night. While I am typing I can’t eat LOL and the reading keeps my mind busy. Plus the food log it the best I have found I love it. I get recipes here too. I am going to tell the members of my chapter about the Pumpkin Fluff that I got here and made last night. It is really good.
I will tell you something that I haven’t told any of you yet. This is the second time I have lost this much weight. The first time I lost 174 pounds and gained it all back because I went back to my old way of eating.
This time I am not going to gain it back. With the help of the weight loss support group I am in and the people here I will not gain it back. Both keep me aware of what I am eating and what I need to do to keep the weight off.
If I gain it back I will be back in the wheel chair. Before I lost the weight this last time I could only walk a few feet because of the pain the weight was causing. I have a scooter that has been in storage since I lost the weight. I couldn’t go shopping or anywhere with out it. I was that big.
I wish there was a place where we could post progress and before pictures along with our stores. Mine is rather long.
My son just found some pictures of me when I was close to the 300 pounds. I am keeping them close to remind me where I have come from. And when I think I want to go eat cookies I will just look at those pictures.
Ok I am writing a book here….I better stop. I could go on but I will stop for now. This has kept me from going to the kitchen and eating something I shouldn’t *giggle* It’s a good thing. hehehe
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
(((Hugs)))
Loretta

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Cleo….you asked how long it took me to lose the weight.
    It took about 2 years to lose the weight. I honestly don’t know the exact date I started to lose the weight. I kind of snuck up on it and just did it. I never dwelled on the number of days I had been dieting. I quit smoking the same way. I just laid them down and kept my hands and mind busy so I wouldn’t smoke…..just like I kept my hands and mind busy so I wouldn’t eat. (I still do that to keep from eating)
    I knew it would take a while to lose the weight but I also knew time was going to pass anyway so I just kept with the life style change and made use of that time to lose the weight. That is just what happened too. Now another 3 years have passed as well.
    As for the smoking I can’t even tell you the day, month or year I had my last cigarette. I do know that it has been way over 10 years though.
    The reason I know the number of years I have kept the weight off is the group I am in. When I reached my goal weight papers were filed with the head office and they keep up with it. I get a numeral charm for each year I keep it off. I just got my three year charm.
    If you would like to know the name of the weight loss support group I am in I will tell you but I will wait for the OK before I leave the link here. I don’t want to do something I shouldn’t be doing.
    It is a really good group and I highly recommend it. We have meetings once a week and I still go every week….it keeps me accountable. I know I have to face those scales every week and it helps me stay at my goal and not go over. If I go over goal and out of leeway then don’t get back in leeway with the allotted time I lose status. I would then have to get back to goal then start at year 1 again. I don’t want to lose the time I have already. It really helps me so much to not go over goal.
    The group has been around for coming up on 60 years. We have members who have been in the group who have kept status for 50 years.
    I am here alone most of the time and that is where this site comes in. I am a night owl….I keep really odd hours. There is no one up when I am up and need support. I can come here and read and post those times. It really gives me the boost I need when it is the middle of the night when I want to eat. The people here inspire me to keep going and not over eat…..which I can do easy in the middle of the night. While I am typing I can’t eat LOL and the reading keeps my mind busy. Plus the food log it the best I have found I love it. I get recipes here too. I am going to tell the members of my chapter about the Pumpkin Fluff that I got here and made last night. It is really good.
    I will tell you something that I haven’t told any of you yet. This is the second time I have lost this much weight. The first time I lost 174 pounds and gained it all back because I went back to my old way of eating.
    This time I am not going to gain it back. With the help of the weight loss support group I am in and the people here I will not gain it back. Both keep me aware of what I am eating and what I need to do to keep the weight off.
    If I gain it back I will be back in the wheel chair. Before I lost the weight this last time I could only walk a few feet because of the pain the weight was causing. I have a scooter that has been in storage since I lost the weight. I couldn’t go shopping or anywhere with out it. I was that big.
    I wish there was a place where we could post progress and before pictures along with our stores. Mine is rather long.
    My son just found some pictures of me when I was close to the 300 pounds. I am keeping them close to remind me where I have come from. And when I think I want to go eat cookies I will just look at those pictures.
    Ok I am writing a book here….I better stop. I could go on but I will stop for now. This has kept me from going to the kitchen and eating something I shouldn’t *giggle* It’s a good thing. hehehe
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    (((Hugs)))
    Loretta
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I am screaming proud of you.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Thank You.....
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi Loretta_Jo, what a battle!

Twice! It gives us all hope never to give up. I saw my mom struggle with her weight all her life, over and over again losing, gaining, losing, gaining. She had too many health problems to ever have surgery. I can remember her in the mornings sticking a needle in her thigh on yet another weight loss program from the doctor. She'd fluctuate between 260 and 360 all her life. She never did win the battle. She outlived my dad though, just because she was so stubborn! :smile: and she was an upbeat person, always cheerful.

It's so important to keep consistent with a good food program isn't it? It's not the end of the world if you don't, but for a healthier way of life, being able to move and do things and not run into a myriad of health problems, it seems to be best. Too bad you just couldn't think yourself healthy.

Talking about thinking - I was thinking about you this morning. How is your knee doing and have you managed to get some sort of chair exercises?
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Hi redalee,
    The knee is getting better. It still hurts but it is not as bad as it was thank goodness. I am staying off of it as much as I can right now. I know this is something that isn’t going to be totally better anytime soon. But hey things could be worse….it could have been broken….which it isn’t. I dodged the bullet there *grin*
    As for the exercise…all the moving of my arms like that is causing my shoulders to grind and pop like crazy so I am not getting too much of that done. I bought some hand weights and I am doing my best to use them some…..so far so good lol
    Thanks for asking
    Have A Great Day!
    Loretta