Functional Training

pftjill
pftjill Posts: 488
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Have any of you ever heard this term before? I am in a business class at school. So we have been going around to different gyms to check them out see how they run, check out the target market, and see how their mission statements add up. Anyhow last night we went to a place out here in Utah called Crossfit. As a personal trainer you just want to run and hit the trainers who are giving this workout to people because it is CRAZY. Like if someone is doing a pull up they do it in anyway they can-using their body as leverage or whatever. It was the most interesting sight I had every seen. So one of my class members pipes up and says-I want to try this. Apparently on peoples first time they usually throw up. It is pretty intense so I can see it happening. So next Tuesday we are going to another Crossfit and going to participate as a class. Excited-not at all, but I will let you know how it goes.

Replies

• The term functional training refers to exercises that mimic what we do in our every day activities. From what I remember hearing about it, they mainly focus on the core and then are either heavy in cardio or heavy in weight lifting, depending on what you do in your job.

For instance if you work in a factory lifting boxes, you'll concentrate on weight training, conversely if you're on you're feet moving all day, you concentrate on cardio.

From what you described though I don't see how functional training ties into that class.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    One of my friends has been doing Crossfit for years and she is in PHENOMENOL shape. It is very addictive because it is all about strength training and if you get excited about seeing your body develop, it is hard to stop going. Crossfit is used primarily by police, fire and rescue and athletes because it helps you to be strong, balanced and fast but it is catching on and more people are using it. I am dying to try it. Good luck!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Knanns-Yes you are right that is what it is, but these people don't target. They just do a workout for everyone that comes. Basically one of my teachers said if you are out running and you have to climb something-are you going to do it in pull up form-no. So it is functional-if you plan on running from something or someone-haha. You don't go through out life concentrically and eccentrically lifting things with 3 second counts and maybe with a static pause. You can train that way, but this is just how you would do it in real life. Like normally a person isn't going to slowly lift the box.

Pniana most of these people are in amazing shape. My teacher showed us the results and they were crazy. We got to see a very diverse group in there. There was 2 ladies well into their 50's. One of them was knocking out those push-ups. It was pretty crazy.

My teacher told us how they run it. The trainers don't get paid much-so it is better to fork out the money train with them and get your own crossfit. I don't think that is what I want to do though.
This discussion has been closed.