Smoothies??

Options
Does anyone have great recipes for smoothies that they would like to share???

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just add frozen fruit, whey protein, and 1% skim milk and blend it up! YUMM!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    :happy: Bump, I'm always looking for smoothies!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Smoothies-Diet-Natural-Extraordinary/dp/156975702X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294238599&sr=1-1

I have this book and have made many of the smoothies in it. It shows you how to incorporate greens into your smoothies - and you don't taste them. Believe me, if you could taste them I would not put them in. I stuff mine with broccoli, spinach, kale, and other extremely nasty stuff, but the copious amounts of fruit masks the nastiness.

I also recommend investing in a commercial blender if you are serious about making some "serious" smoothies. I use the Blendtec. There is also the Vitamix. Both are great; I got the Blendtec because I got a good deal on it at the time.
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Smoothies-Diet-Natural-Extraordinary/dp/156975702X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294238599&sr=1-1

I have this book and have made many of the smoothies in it. It shows you how to incorporate greens into your smoothies - and you don't taste them. Believe me, if you could taste them I would not put them in. I stuff mine with broccoli, spinach, kale, and other extremely nasty stuff, but the copious amounts of fruit masks the nastiness.

I also recommend investing in a commercial blender if you are serious about making some "serious" smoothies. I use the Blendtec. There is also the Vitamix. Both are great; I got the Blendtec because I got a good deal on it at the time.

Thanks!! I just listedned to a podcast and they mentioned spinach and stuch in smoothies and thought they were crazy! ha ha ha good to know it works! I will start looking around for the commercial blenders....I think it should be a reward....Lose 10 pounds get a blender...we'll see what my husband thinks of that ;)
    Thanks again!
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey! My favourite one to make tastes like an orange creamsicle,

Orange Juice,
    Milk (half O.J./Half Milk)
    Sweetener
    Vanilla Yogurt
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use Yoplait frozen fruit w/ skim or almond milk. Yoplait already has it portioned out for you and MFP has it in there food list
  • ShaSha186
    Options
    I need some new ones too, I use 1c skim milk, .5 fat free strawberry yogurt and half of a banana and blend it in the magic bullet. I also add frozen blueberries or strawberries when I want to change it up a little. I do add whey protein only one scoop on days I work out, other wise I do not because you wont burn it off, well that's what I believe anyways. =) Unless you are using it for a lunch then yes I would add it in.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so I make mine with a cup of Ocean Spray diet. I prefer the blueberry pomegranate. A cup and a half of frozen fruit and half a banana and a half scoop of strawberry protein whey.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options

Thanks!! I just listedned to a podcast and they mentioned spinach and stuch in smoothies and thought they were crazy! ha ha ha good to know it works! I will start looking around for the commercial blenders....I think it should be a reward....Lose 10 pounds get a blender...we'll see what my husband thinks of that ;)
    Thanks again!
    You're welcome! It is a great way to integrate greens into your diet without having to suffer. The health benefits from consuming greens are astounding (as I read in that same book; it's not just a recipe book, it also talks about the whole process: shopping, storing the greens, the health benefits of greens, testimonials, etc.), so it is definitely worth it. Commercial blenders are a bit more expensive, but absolutely worth it if you get serious about smoothies.

One example of a smoothie I make:

1-2 cups of water (add this first)
    handful of fresh or frozen spinach*
    handful of fresh or frozen broccoli*
    1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
    1 apple, quartered and cored
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
    ? scoops of protein powder (varies depending on how many servings I plan on splitting the pitcher of smoothie into; example - 2 scoops = 1 serving, so if I plan on getting 3 servings out of my pitcher, which I usually do, I will put 6 scoops in)

* = blend these first with the water

Also, this is a recipe I know my blender can handle because it is heavy-duty. A friend of mine tried putting an apple into his Osterman and it did not render pleasant results, so just an fyi there. I have never tried putting greens or apples into a regular blender so I can't tell you if it would work or not, or how well it would blend.

A lot of it is trial and error. Depending on your taste buds, you may need to add more fruit to mask the green flavor. It is fun trying different greens and fruits together to see how they mesh. Generally I store my smoothie in a glass mason jar (whatever I don't consume right away, that is) and it will stay good for about 24 hours, even though it may turn colors a little bit. (All of those tips and more are in that book...... I love that book, lol)

Glad I could help. Happy blending! :happy:
  • jschneider
    jschneider Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Any mixture of fruit and yogurt works...EXCEPT Blackberries...I made a smoothie last night with blueberries, blackberries, ice, FF yogurt a little bit of skim milk and 2 splenda packets...and it was delicious...however the seeds from the blackberries ruined it for me.. I did hear that the problem is eliminated if you have a better blender...I was using a cheapy :(
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have never considered smoothies as nutriotional but I guess if you watch what you put in them I could see it. Does anybody have any suggestions on whether or not you could make one the night before and have it for breakfast the next morning? Would it still be okay if refrigerated overnight?

Thanx
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I have never considered smoothies as nutriotional but I guess if you watch what you put in them I could see it. Does anybody have any suggestions on whether or not you could make one the night before and have it for breakfast the next morning? Would it still be okay if refrigerated overnight?

Thanx
    Yes, if you store it properly. Put it in a glass mason jar with a tightly fitting lid and keep it in the fridge, and it will be good for 24 hours.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

My hubby just got me the Vitamix for Christmas and I LOVE it! It does so much more than just make smoothies. If you can afford one and your hubby will go for it, I highly suggest it! You won't regret it. I also chop my onions and garlic in it for cooking, we made homemade peanut butter, and even hot soup in it! It's totally fantastic.

I made a smoothie this morning (no greens yet because I need to go get some still) and it had banana, two carrots, frozen strawberries and blueberries, plain yogurt, 3 tbs ground flaxseed, and 1/2 cup oatmeal. super yummy and filling.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I just got a single serving blender specifically to make my smoothies in the morning for breakfast-it came with 4-5 tall "glasses" with lids etc so I just pour my ingrediants into the cup screw on the blender blade bottom, stick it in the blender holder and mix it till its done. Then add a lid to it if traveling or just the lip guard so I can drink straight from it. I LOVE it! :)

One recipe I use thats yummy is:

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I use stoneyfield organic low fat)
    1 small banana sliced
    1/2 cup frozen mango/strawwberries (or any frozen fruit would work)
    1/2 ounce milk OR Orange juice (you can add more if you want)

Looking forward to trying some of your recipes too :)
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Thanx
    Yes, if you store it properly. Put it in a glass mason jar with a tightly fitting lid and keep it in the fridge, and it will be good for 24 hours.

Awesome Thanx - I will have to give this a shot and see how it goes.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options

Thanx

Awesome Thanx - I will have to give this a shot and see how it goes.
    You're welcome. I forgot to mention, it may change color a little bit but don't worry about that. It is just the effect of "oxygenation" but it doesn't mean it is going bad.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options

Thanks again!

My hubby just got me the Vitamix for Christmas and I LOVE it! It does so much more than just make smoothies. If you can afford one and your hubby will go for it, I highly suggest it! You won't regret it. I also chop my onions and garlic in it for cooking, we made homemade peanut butter, and even hot soup in it! It's totally fantastic.

I made a smoothie this morning (no greens yet because I need to go get some still) and it had banana, two carrots, frozen strawberries and blueberries, plain yogurt, 3 tbs ground flaxseed, and 1/2 cup oatmeal. super yummy and filling.
    My best friend uses the Vitamix and also likes it very much. I like the Blendtec because it has all those neat pre-programmed cycles on it. Mine also grinds up wheat, coffee beans, makes hot soup, homemade ice cream (though I haven't been able to get it to come out thicker than milkshake consistency). For a while I was actually using that thing more than my stove!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Fruit - fresh or frozen (it helps make the drink thicker and colder if it's frozen).
    Yogurt - greek, non fat
    Juice - orange, or naked juice green goodness
    Blend!
  • Nicole114
    Options
    I looooove smoothies! I use...

1/2 cup mixed berries (35 cals)
    1/2 cup non fat plain yogurt (55 cals)
    1/2 of a banana (45 cals)

Just blend it all up and enjoy!! It's delicious! And it's only 135 calories and makes a filling snack!

ETA: If it is too tart (from the yogurt) add like a tsp of sugar. Not sure how many calories that adds but my husband does this and he also uses regular yogurt instead of non fat... but HE doesn't have any weight to lose so he can get away with it lol...
  • Nicole114
    Options
    I just got a single serving blender specifically to make my smoothies in the morning for breakfast-it came with 4-5 tall "glasses" with lids etc so I just pour my ingrediants into the cup screw on the blender blade bottom, stick it in the blender holder and mix it till its done. Then add a lid to it if traveling or just the lip guard so I can drink straight from it. I LOVE it! :)

One recipe I use thats yummy is:

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I use stoneyfield organic low fat)
    1 small banana sliced
    1/2 cup frozen mango/strawwberries (or any frozen fruit would work)
    1/2 ounce milk OR Orange juice (you can add more if you want)

Looking forward to trying some of your recipes too :)

We just bought one of these too! Is it the GE one? I love it!