Feeling Bad About Myself

Options
Hello everyone -

So, I don't mean to be a negative source of energy here, but I am feeling really bad about myself and guilty. Yesterday was my second day of "eating healthy" and "dieting" and I failed miserably. I ended up having this huge midnight snack (binge) of triscuits, cheese and nutella and i ate alot of it.

My total calories for the day were about 2800, and I am trying to limit myself to only 1400. I am over 200 LBS and I need to lose 60 lbs!

I feel really guilty and embarrassed. I don't even eat like that when I'm not dieting. What helps everyone?

Thanks

Does anyone else go through these episodes? Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• skinnyclothes
    Options
    Don't feel guilty don't dwell just move forward. You may have just been stressing too much and it caused you to have the late night munchies. Today is a new day forget about yesterday.
  • jmgoodwin1997
    Options
    This is what I say to myself when I do this to myself, "get up...you can do this...it's one bad day, why make it more?" Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. If we dwell on the past there can't be anything good that comes out of the future.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If your just starting out I would recommend allowing yourself like 1800 calories a day. This way you don't feel guilty plus you won't get those binge urges. Also add some more protein and fiber to your diet it will help you feel full longer. ;)

Best of luck honey we are all there with you from time to time. Today is a new day.
  • Kate_2011
    Options
    what did you have for dinner?
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary 'public' so we can see what it is your eating and maybe what's missing?
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your body has to get use to eatting differently. We all have "fallen" of the wagon a time or two. i am coming back after fallin off a few months ago. It takes time to learn to eat healthy. It is not going to be an over night change. It is just a bump in a long road to being healthy. Don't give up on yourself. Remember what your goal or mini-gaols are. Look to the future. See a healther and better you. Good luck.

Kimmie
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hey Diana,

Don't be ashamed of yourself! If this was easy, everyone would be healthy. But it's not, it's a struggle. It's a long war that you're only in the beginning of fighting. The thing about it being a war, is that sometimes, you're going to lose battles. You're going to have good days, not so good days, and just plain terrible days. The key is that when a terrible day happens, to just understand that they happen sometimes, and that tomorrow is another day, and to never stop fighting. If you never stop fighting, no matter how many bad days you have, you will eventually win.

This gets easier with time. The longer you try at it, the more good days you will have, and the less bad days. We're all here to support you through your successes and your trials.
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    Sweetie, I think we've all been there before. Dont beat yourself up. Just start fresh today. You're human.

The biggest thing for me is to think of this whole adventure not as a diet but as a lifestyle change. I cant focus on what I'm restricting or giving up because then I become obsessed with it. Instead, I try to focus on all the things I can have, like fruits and veggies and such.

I always think that I am my own worst enemy. I need to change that thinking and become my own best ally.

Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • ksnj2
    ksnj2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't feel bad. Everything you do good for yourself is better than not doing good. So, you were good all day!

As far as you calorie intake I think that is way too low, are you exercising? If you up your exercise you can up your calorie intake and then you won't feel like you are starving yourself!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Can you get some of that stuff out of the house? Like the Nutella (yum)? Make sure you have some good and yummy choices...skinny cow bars, South Beach Diet granola bars, almonds.....and you may need more protein if your just so hungry.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think we all have up days and down days - try not to beat yourself up about it. One trick is not to have any snack foods in your house to start off with, that way the likely hood of you bingeing is almost zero.

Dust yourself off and try again, you can do this :-):happy: :happy: :happy:
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    First off, I would suggest you don't think of what happened as a failure. Look at it as a minor setback, something you can correct the next day. The toughest time when you drastically change your eating habits are usually the first 3-5 days. Once you get over that hump (the cravings can be KILLER), you should see a change in your attitude. The next time you feel like binging, maybe try grabbing a fruit (apples with natural peanut butter are the best) or drink some water!

We all have our missteps but that doesn't make any of us failures! So, pick yourself up and start all over again. This board is a great place for the support you need to get through the tough times! :-)
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Keep it out of your house. I have kids so I have had to learn self control and trust me-it is hard for me. So the things I really love I keep out of my house.
    When you start losing you start wanting the stuff less, because-it is much better to feel good about yourself then the way any food taste.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's a new day with new beginnings,you'll do better today!:bigsmile:
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I can totally relate to the late night binge. It's a struggle...but today is new. Forget yesterday and move forward!! Stick with it and in the end you'll win not the late night cravings...or slip ups =)

It's a new day!
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I know that it doesn't always work, but try chewing gum. I chew about a half a pack a day so that I'm not doing mindless snacking. Or next time when you feel like snacking trying putting a serving size on a small plate and eat it. Wait about 10-15 after eating and decide if you REALLY want more, or are you just eating out of boredom.
    Don't beat yourself up! We ALL have days like that!!! Just have to get back into it the next day. Best Wishes!
  • melissashparago89
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. What happened yesterday is over. And out of your control now. What is in control is: today. Make sure you get back on track and get a good workout in. I've had days like that as well. We all have.

Good luck to you!! :) I know you can do it!

-Melissa
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Did you log it in? If you didn't go do it NOW! The only way you will change is if you have some accountability- the minute you stop logging- you make it harder to lose!

When you are hungry drink water. I was a late night snacker and have to sometimes FIGHT the urge to get out of bed to go eat! And I am now successful! FIGHT!

Everyone cheats now and then. It isn't the END- unless you GIVE UP!

Seriously it's pretty simple, do you want to be over 200 pounds forever? If you DO- QUIT NOW- because you have reached your goal weight. If you DON'T- then keep moving!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    It was your SECOND day! This is all new to you. Cut yourself some slack and go on from here. It gets easier, it really does. Start adopting the idea that this isn't a "diet" but a lifestyle change. Something you are doing "extra special" for YOU!!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up or feel guilty about your slip up. We all have them. It's part of life. I'm betting that there is not one person on here that hasn't done that. Just tell yourself that tomorrow is a new day and that you can do this!