Colon Cleanse??

Options
I want to do a colon cleanse of some kind...but I am too scared to try any kind of "packaged" product or "herbs" - does anyone know of a plan were you just eat fruits and vegetables for a week or something?? Or another website with some info??? Thanks!!

Replies

• Aintnet
    Aintnet Posts: 12
    Options
    A friend of mine does a 7 to 21 day cleanse every few months. She has maintained a healthy weight since. Here it is....

7-21 days depending on amount needed to loose

Eat Protein and Fruit ONLY /Protein and Fruit MUST be eaten together!

Proteins include:
    Poultry, Fish, Shellfish, Low Fat Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Hamburger, Sirloin, Grilled, Baked or Broiled meat only.
    All Fruits except pineapples. If you want bananas only eat with the first meal of the day.
    No nuts, No beans
    Basic Salad is okay.
    Season w/ Herbs and Spices, nothing Sodium Based.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Tea and Coffee sweetened w/Equal or Splenda is okay. No Creams or Milk. Eat every 2-4 hours. This will increase your metabolism. Keep Protein and Fruit at equal amounts for each meal. 1cup fruit to 1cup protein.
    You may have your first cheat meal after you have successfully completed the cleansing.
    If you mess up by eating a sandwich or cereal you must start all over.
    Use 7 days straight if your goal weight is 10lbs and under
    Use 14 days straight if your goal weight is 11 to 20 lbs.
    If you are looking to loose more than 21 lbs use for more than 14 days but no longer than 21 days straight.
    You will drop a lot of body fat fast and feel healthier and your cravings for sweets will diminish.
    Sample Day
    9am cottage cheese and banana w/ coffee. You can replace creamer w/vanilla Whey or Protein powder.

12pm grilled chicken breast and one apple w/lemon water

3pm basic Salad w/ Newman's own light balsamic vinaigrette or salad vinegar w/ light virgin olive oil, 1 12oz diet soda

6pm Turkey w/orange w/water or tea

You should not eat after 8pm each day. This will aid in the digestion of toxins while you sleep. You can start your day earlier and change the times just make sure you eat every 2-4 hours and the more you eat will not make you gain weight. It will increase your metabolism and keep you from ever being hungry. It is hard sometimes to make yourself eat, but it is very important that you do!

After 1 month you may repeat the cleansing cycle for 7 days just to rid the body of toxins.
    This is good to do every so often.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you want to do a colon cleanse? I happen to work in endosocopy...(medical dept that we do colonoscopys in) and there really isn't a good or safe over the counter product or herbs....you can eat a HIGH fiber diet to help move it along faster.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Can I ask why you want to do a colon cleanse? I happen to work in endosocopy...(medical dept that we do colonoscopys in) and there really isn't a good or safe over the counter product or herbs....you can eat a HIGH fiber diet to help move it along faster.

What she said. Nothing is better for a colon then a healthy diet full of fiber.
  • loreew32
    Options
    What about calcium on this cleanse? I know drinking warm water with the jusice of one whole lemon first thing in the water will give you a cleanse. There is also a tea that you can buy that will help.
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

No reason in particular. I just read several times it was a good "jump start" and we "need" to cleanse our colons??? But I wanted to eat raw veggies and fruits...not take some weird pills or I read a crazy diet called the lemonaid diet!!! The post above sounds like my kind of thing!! But if you are a medical professional any input would be appreciated!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's not a good jump start. There's no medical reason to do a colon cleanse for weight loss or diet. Now for a colonoscopy, or some other medical reason, that's different. But your colon is either working, or there's something wrong, in neither case should you do a cleanse to fix it.

And don't believe the hype about "ridding your body of toxins". Your body does that job all on it's own. The liver and kidneys are custom made just for this purpose (and a few other supporting cast members as well). The only kind of "flush" I'm in favor of is going heavy on veggies to up your fiber intake. Even that isn't strictly speaking necessary. And cleanses can do bad things to your bowels.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor of 30 years about this and he said 'the garbage is on the back porch, why bring it to the curb before you need to"?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor of 30 years about this and he said 'the garbage is on the back porch, why bring it to the curb before you need to"?

lol!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It's not a good jump start. There's no medical reason to do a colon cleanse for weight loss or diet. Now for a colonoscopy, or some other medical reason, that's different. But your colon is either working, or there's something wrong, in neither case should you do a cleanse to fix it.

And don't believe the hype about "ridding your body of toxins". Your body does that job all on it's own. The liver and kidneys are custom made just for this purpose (and a few other supporting cast members as well). The only kind of "flush" I'm in favor of is going heavy on veggies to up your fiber intake. Even that isn't strictly speaking necessary. And cleanses can do bad things to your bowels.

I completely agree! We are gifted with the tools required to stay healthy! this detox, colon cleanse culture is crazy and based solely upon making money!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Indeed :flowerforyou:
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/

This is specifically about the Master Cleanse, but it has some good information about "detoxification". Your body is going to take care of most of that by itself. The things that your body can't remove naturally aren't going to go away by only eating fresh fruit for a week.
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! That makes me feel MUCH better!!! I was worried it was something I NEED to do but like I said I'm scared of those "packages" and different "herbs"!! I'll just keep drinking my water and trying my darndest to make better and healthy choices!!