Crowded Gym Anxiety

Options
I have been going to my gym (on and off) for many years. For the most part, the day time is pretty mellow, with peak times being early morning, noon (there are classes) and late afternoon / dinnertime then full blown evening crowds. While I am fully supportive of anyone who wants to lose weight - I have to say, today being my first day back to the gym after a 10 day holiday hiatus, I am dreading the usual January "resolution" influx of new members. I have a routine, I am a creature of habit, and it throws me off when I can't get through my whole workout because there are too many people crowding the free weight area, or who are not yet accustomed to some of the gym etiquette that one learns after a while ...I know I am being petty - and good on them for making an effort - but ooOo the anxiety!

Replies

• micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have ran into similar situations, your best bet is to have alternative exercises ready, that way your pace is not slowed down. For example, all the squat racks taken? Try leg press or maybe lunges.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I too can find it a tad annoying that I have to adjust around people who may or may not be there in a few weeks. I have been there for months and at a different gy for a good 2 years before this...I earned my time on that treadmill...but I have to remind myself that I was a newbie at the gym once too. I try to find gratitude for those new people and find inspiration in them. I try to give an encouraging smile to anyone and pointers to those who look lost....nothing serious...just this is where the pin goes etc...I find that if I focus on hoping that each and every one of these people becomes a regular and the knowledge that if they are regulars we will figure out how to work around each other I find the anxiety much less....just leave me MY treadmill...JK
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My gyms was busy also. I figure DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) will weed them right back out again.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I earned my time on that treadmill...but I have to remind myself that I was a newbie at the gym once too. I try to find gratitude for those new people and find inspiration in them. I try to give an encouraging smile to anyone and pointers to those who look lost....nothing serious...just this is where the pin goes etc...I find that if I focus on hoping that each and every one of these people becomes a regular and the knowledge that if they are regulars we will figure out how to work around each other I find the anxiety much less....just leave me MY treadmill...JK

I feel the same way! I'm fully supportive of anyone making a life change but why NOW? Why not when you got the urge to make this resolution in December or even November?

I don't blame these people, I blame the gym! Put a cap on new memberships already! Not only are long standing members suffering but machines are breaking. I'm sure it's way more expensive to repair or replace an over worked gym machine in comparison to a new member monthly fee.

It'll taper off come February when the people seeking instant gratification will lose motivation. Sad but true. :ohwell:
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Mine has been a little more crowded, but in my town, we have two gyms. The family run faciltiy that I go to and pay a lot for, and the planet fitness that ya pay 10 bucks for. I drive by PF on my way to my gym, and you can pretty muhc see the lines formed with people waiting to get a machine!! God I hated that place!!

I feel the same way, but I try to remember I was once one of them. Hey, I don;t care who comes, as long as thye arent on my machine when I need to use it, we won;t have problems!! :-)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend said it has been nuts at our gym this week. I've been working out at home but today is my big cardio day. It will be my first time in after the new years. Luckily I'm going around 3 and it is usually empty. I sure hope so because the half-timers normally jump right on all the ellipticals and I am really missing my elliptical time.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    New years resolutions have a failure rate of 97% inside of 30 days. 25 more days hold on!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, but it is what it is. Go at as off-peak times as you can and make the most of it.

I personally like the energy of a lot of people...up until the point I have to wait for a particular piece of equipment anyway... =)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Give it a month or so. Things will die down. I've been going to the gym for about 7 years now and it's the same story every year. Only the hardcores stick around, which aren't many.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    This was part of the reason why I looked for a work out I could do at home... Thanks P90X!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I'm fully supportive of anyone making a life change but why NOW? Why not when you got the urge to make this resolution in December or even November?

I get your frustration but honestly, its not so much the Jan 1 resolution that gets people in the gym its the sugar sweep of December that made us all feel like garbage. If New Years was Feb 1 I'd still be there in January. I gained and lost 4 lbs in the month of December (1 month to gain, 1 week to loose) and I have NEVER seen such a dramatic loss, no amount of sodium or TOTM changes have done that to my body. It shows you how much sodium is in everything and lack of nutrition so nothing in the body was moving out, it was just sitting.

I joined my gym Dec 31 but bought into the discounted deal in November. I just made sure to start it December 31st so that I could still claim wellness benefits at work in 2011 without missing out.
  • lorijupiter3
    lorijupiter3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I first joined my gym I hated it. Everyone was all toned without a drop of sweat and fancy gym clothes. I felt like I has to keep up with the joggers on the treadmill and was so self conscious, haha. I like it a bit better now after the New Year when there are plenty more people my size and just as clueless. :)
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We literally almost had a riot yesterday at spin class. 14 bikes and 30 participants eagerly waiting in the hall for the previous class to get out did not make for a pretty picture. People got elbowed out of the way. Us regulars now have a plan of attack in place for next time. Crazy.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't like overly busy places anyway but the gym is a sure fire way to make me nervous. The juiceheads frighten the pants off me so heh, yes I agree. If I don't go at the same time everyday, I don't go. I hope people change their plans, lol.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My gym was crazy yesterday during the lunch hour with all the resolutioners and the people heading south for a winter vacation and want the quick fix!

I applaud people for taking the initiative and trying to get fit as bothersome as the crowds are as others have stated it won't last.

Karen
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    We literally almost had a riot yesterday at spin class. 14 bikes and 30 participants eagerly waiting in the hall for the previous class to get out did not make for a pretty picture. People got elbowed out of the way. Us regulars now have a plan of attack in place for next time. Crazy.

We used to have the same problem at our old gym. We started a sign up list. YOu had to sign up ahead of time to get the equipment. If you couldn't make it, you could call in and have your name taken off. It was a bit of a pain, but it weeded out the serious exercisers from the hit or miss ones.:-P

I can see why people would say the gym is at fault for this influx, but they are a business after all! Turning away new members for old ones isn't exactly the best business practice. They should work on ways to regulate the use of the machines better, though.

I agree... I do get annoyed when I can't get he equipment I want, but usually I just rotate to something else on my list and come back to it. After all, tricking your muscles helps you lose weight faster anyway, right?;-) If I'm waiting for a cardio machine, I have no qualms about asking a person to save the machine for me when they're done. I've rarely run into a problem with that, as most people are pretty friendly and supportive of one another's goals.

Shannon
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My gym was pretty crazy too yesterday. When I got there it was not TOO bad, but by time I left people were circling the parking lot looking for a spot.

I am sure it will even out a bit in a couple of days.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been one of those people and I was also one of the ones that quit after a month. The reason? The gym was too crowded and there were too many hardcore lifters.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    That's why I work out at home, hate the gym!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    That's why I work out at home, hate the gym!

Yup!