Filling Food to Fill Me Up

Options
jlouise
jlouise Posts: 7 Member
Hi

I think I have breakfast and dinner covered but really would like some filling family meal idea for when I get home:

It doesnt have to be a quick meal as I can make it at the weekend and maybe freeze protions

I just CRAVE bread and butter as soon as I get in from work so need something filling to look forward to

All suggestion welcome :)

Replies

• andriah613
    andriah613 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For a snack I love popcorn. You can either buy the low calorie popcorn or pop your own. I usually pop my own, and then use the spray butter and a little parmasean cheese. :)
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this (just joined a couple of weeks ago), but if bread and butter is what you crave, why not bake a whole wheat fruit & nut bread. Add extra nuts to the recipe to give it more health benefit and filling texture. Heat in the microwave for 30 secs and spread lightly w/Brummel & Brown spread.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The newest simple super healthy meal we love and could eat every day;

1 chicken breast each cooked on my Cuisinart Griddler
    150g each peeled and sliced thin sweet potatoes with ½ tsp olive oil per serving, black pepper and garlic powder
    2 cups broccoli each, 1 tsp olive oil per serving, black pepper, garlic powder and Red Pepper and Garlic seasoning.

* Potatoes and broccoli are baked at 400 degrees convection for about 15 minutes.

Preped and cooked in about 30 min and <400 cals.
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, popcorn is good too! My "guilty pleasure" right now is 100 cal pack kettle corn w/1 Tbsp melted butter on top. Not the greatest nutrition-wise, but it's only 200 calories, filling, and isn't as bad as chowing down on a bag of chips! Probably wouldn't be good to eat this every day, but once in a while when you need that "bad" snack.
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Soup would be a good option and is filling and tastes great. I chopped up a pound of beef, cooked it up then put it in a pot. Poured 2 cans of chicken broth in a can of kidney beans a can of black beans a can of corn and sprinkled some pepper. I also melted in a tbs of peanut butter to give it a little sweetness. I know it sounds weird, but it tasted awesome lol

Anyway I made this and for me alone it lasted at least 10 servings and was verey filling each meal.
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sometimes I have wraps. I put in lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, just fill it with veggies
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Chili is good as a make-ahead.

Red Chili: 1 mccormack chili spice pack (because I'm lazy - you could spice it yourself to taste), 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 smaller can diced tomatoes, 1 can yellow corn, 1 or 2 cans of kidney beans (or any beans you like), 1 or 2 green peppers, 1 jalepeno pepper, 1 onion diced. Throw all that in a big pot or slow cooker. Then brown lean hamburger meat (or use yves meatless crumbles, which taste exactly the same but are vegetarian) in a frying pan, and add it to the pot with the chili. Voila.

White Chicken Chili: 1 mccormack chili spice pack, 1 jar of salsa verde any brand, 1 yellow pepper diced, 1 onion diced, 1 can white beans, 1 can butter beans, a little vegetable or chicken stock (1 cup, but eyeball it), 1 can yellow corn, 1 jalepeno. Throw all that in big pot or slow cooker. Then grill or pan sear chicken breast (or for vegetarians, I like the gardein chi'k n breasts), pull apart once cooked, and add.

I also like anything with lentils. Lentils, brown rice, onion, loads of carrot, celery, and spices like cumin, curry, paprika, salt etc = massively yummy.

Finally, I love quinoa with crushed up pecans and then chopped up garlic kale (cook the kale first, then add some sauteed garlic and olive oil or butter, and salt and pepper to taste).

Also, mac n cheese with a bag of frozen spinach is actually really good - adds color and kids don't taste the spinach ;-)!
  • MzSynt
    MzSynt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Congrats on your weight loss, hope I can do as well as you are doing.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm with DSing13 - soup! Easy, healthy, freezable, low fat, endless variety and fills you up.

I make a big batch then add different things to it later like spinach which I just roughly tear and pop it in the bowl with the soup before reheating in the microwave. Or a little grated cheese on top, mint sauce or pesto, greek yogurt....

It's also a great way to eat a range of different pulses - especially good if you're vegetarian like me.

Can you tell I'm into soup at the moment :-)
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Last night I actually made samosas and they aren't that bad for you as well as I was full SO fast! They do take a bit of effort and time (a little over an hour) to make though. If you are interested in a recipe at all just message me!

-Ashley
  • jlouise
    jlouise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone I'm going to try all these suggestions

The Chilli sounds GREAT

Hopefully I'll be full all month :)
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Quick Easy Salsa Wrap (Chicken Salsa Wrap) Hope you like it!

Another great quick item to snack on are salsa wraps . Get a nice hearty green leaf lettuce and make your own salsa with all fresh ingredients. Tomatoes, Garlic, Green Pepper, Onion, Lime Juice and Sea Salt. Put in a blender and spoon into your leaf lettuce leaves like a wrap. Very Very Low calories and very filling. We try to let ours sit in the fridge overnight so that it gets a good full flavor. (Add Chicken for more filling meal and only 122 more calories per 4oz boneless skinless)

3 tomatoes, diced
    1/2 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, diced
    1 cucumber, diced
    1/2 green pepper, diced
    1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 dash salt
    1 dash pepper
    1 dash sugar

Makes 8 servings at 22 calories per serving. You can eat it all for 176 calories and lettuce leaves are virtually a no calorie food. To add some more weight to it consider adding 4 oz of boneless skinless baked chicken shredded into it for a total of 142 Calories for a nice refreshing wrap!

Calories 22
    Calories from Fat 1
    Total Fat 0.1g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 23mg
    Total Carbohydrates 5.2g
    Dietary Fiber 1.0g
    Sugars 2.5g