Running pains

chrissym78
chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a big fan of walking and am trying to get back into running. For a few days after I jog (sometimes even after I walk fast for long periods) I have this awful pain at the top of my pelvis on the left side. It's sore like muscle pain (hurts when I move) but it seems like it's on bone. Anyone else ever experienced this?? It's really annoying. Any suggestions on how to prevent it?

Replies

• SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Have you been to your Dr. to have it checked out?

How old are the running shoes you are wearing and do you stretch well before heading out?

Karen
  • chrissym78
    I talked to my nutritionist about it a coulpe weeks ago and she said it was probably muscle pain. I do need new shoes soon, they're a little worn but not bad. I run/walk in NB 1224's so it's not like they're cheapies, ya know? I have arch issues so I can't skimp on shoes. My feet haven't bothered me yet, that's usually my first indication that it's shoe time :) And yes, I stretch if I am going to run, not really if I'm just walking though.
  • I would check with an Orthopedic MD, it sounds like a possible stress fracture that is being aggrivated by activity. Becareful! Go have it looked at.
  • Sounds a LOT like what I have too. Doctor said to just got straight to a phys therapist to figure it out. I tried on my own for quite a while (cause i'm a cheap hollander!) with no results. Finally started PT yesterday and glad I did! Pelvic bones and hip are out of wack, which has also caused various muscles,etc to get out of whack. Could already notice a difference in the way I walk after one session!! I would seriously consider finding a good PT and get looked at asap.
  • chrissym78
    Thanks guys!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I'm a big fan of Polysorb insoles. I even changed out the insoles from my new running shoes. You may want to consider that.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    I had something going on in my right hip... it would pop when I ran or walked fast. It wasn't painful, just didn't seem right to me. I ended up going to a chiropractor and apparently my pelvis was all out of sorts which was making my legs two different lenghts! Oi vey! If you stretch, can you feel the same pain? If you can it's probably something with the muscle which can be improved by your technique. I get issues with my outer calves if I don't run with the right form. Good luck!
  • chrissym78
    I'm a big fan of Polysorb insoles. I even changed out the insoles from my new running shoes. You may want to consider that.
    Thanks! I'll look for them!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I've had runner pains before in my sides. Once in awhile I get them in my pevic area. I don't know the best way to deal with them. Just make sure you drink enough water but not too much before your run and avoid eatin alot before a run. Other than that I just slow down and even stop and try again the next day. If it's happenin every time that you run you may want to talk to your doctor.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    I get pains in my side sometimes if I walk/run too soon after eating or don't stretch well enough. Now I just make sure to do a good warm up and if I eat dinner then go, I wait at least 30 minutes. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.