Your breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day

Options
fitterpam
fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
I read this article and it just was an enlightened moment....LOL I'm surprised that I'm surprised by it.

For those that don't want to read it, here's the gist of it.

What you eat for breakfast will tell your body what to expect for the rest of the day. It fits in with the hunter-gatherer philosophy that our bodies are instinctual. If the first thing you have all day is protein based, your body will expect protein and will respond accordingly. If you have a carb based breakfast, your body will respond by increasing insulin secretions. So if you have oatmeal and raspberries, the body will think it's grains and fruits all day so put out insulin to combat the excess sugar for the day. Excess Insulin causes hunger and can cause cravings.

If you start your day with a hardboiled egg, yogurt and ground flax seed (for example), you'll have less cravings over the course of the day than if you have cereal and milk with strawberries.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/diet/article/915280--ace-your-health-what-your-body-wants-for-breakfast

Replies

• Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, thanks for posting it.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    wow.. thats really interesting. I was wondering why I was so hungry tonight. This article explains it!.. Instead of my normal egg and veggies in the morning I had a scrabled egg sandwhich. And bread with lunch... now all I want is pasta!~!~!..... i guess its back to just eggs in the morning!
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing....how interesting!!
  • medusasmuppet
    Options
    I've been told eating breakfast is important and to eat protein but I didn't exactly know why! Thanks for posting!
  • remi27
    remi27 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good information...thanks for posting!
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have noticed this too. If I eat my eggbeater omlet in the morning I eat less overall calories and I don't have the sweet cravings. However, when I eat cereal with the same amount of calories I end up eating more throughout the day and crave more sweets. Thanks for posting!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    very interesting!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised by the article - I KNOW I feel better when I eat a solid protein based breakfasts (with a good bit of fat) versus a carb-based breakfast. I eat eggs almost every day, and have been known to eat leftover chicken or Seitan or something like that (non-traditional breakfast foods) on occasion.