Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Commuter Student and College Food

So this is my second semester at a university that is about an hour from my home. I commute to school 4 days a week this sememster. It's hard for me to try and find food that will be good for me to eat on campus. Going to the student center can be like pulling teeth sometimes. There is a Wendy's, KFC, Sabarro, Taco Bell, Starbucks, and a Subway. I do like Subway and can find good options there, however a person can only eat there so many times before they get tired of it. I don't know how Jared did it but I can't eat subs everyday. Even when I swich it up and get a salad and soup I can get tired of that too. There are also little cafes spread out around campus. They have salads prepared and a few other things that cooks make daily. However, when you look at the calories that they have printed on to the packaging there is over 800 calories in some of the salads. I don't get it, salads are supposed to be good for you and lower in calories, not higher in calories compared to a Big Mac.

I now know why it's easy for those who live on campus to gain weight regardless of all the walking they do from building to building and from the dorms. And yes it's not just the universities fault that there are bad food options and that students gain weight. We need to be held accountable for what we put in our mouths as well and the amount of time that we dedicate to excercise. I don't want to be that overweight college girl with no will power anymore, I am going to change and live a better lifestyle!

Replies

• If you're commuting - just make a crapton of lower-cal foods and package them up to bring with you. I usually pick a day and just cook for like 2 hours and then I freeze everything.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Start packing your lunches. Get a lunch box and an ice pack and stuff will stay cold. That's helped me a ton since I work FT and have an hour lunch break I would go out every day but now I've started packing my lunch every day and it's definitely helping me.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I'm with everyone else. It's worth it to carry around that extra bag. Pack your lunch. You'll save SO much money!
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    It sounds like you are going to have to pack stuff to take with you. I know it stinks. My husband is a grad student and complains about lugging around a lunch bag all day. Or, you can get your food at a grocery store near campus. They should have plain, prepared garden salads and maybe single servings of hummus or protein bars (if you are desperate). I went to the grocery store for lunch yesterday and got a pre-prepared veggie cup that came with a small side of ranch, an orange, and a sushi (california) roll. I wasn't able to finish all of it, it was very satisfying for the same price as you would pay at a restaurant or cafe.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    while i would say bring your own food reality is I don't live by that all the time. So plan ahead. look up meals at all the places you go for lunch. sabarros has salads and so does sub way. wendy's isn't totally horrible if you order the junior hamburger and salad and unsweetened ice tea. or if you need to (like when i love chipotle) eat only half and save half. taco bell has the fresco menu and the key is only ordering one taco. when you can't eat the ideal healthy use exercise and portion control to off set it.

Also plan your whole day. breakfast, lunch and dinner. Include any starbucks (any liquid calories) and meals. make sure you have a firm idea of what you are eating and putting into your body and how it will affect your weight loss. know before it goes in your mouth.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Been there! Done that! :bigsmile:

Pack, pack and pack. It will save money and you will be in control of your choices. I pack for work every day and I love having tons of options so pack all sorts of things. Keep cold with ice pack as suggested.

You could make a smoothie in the morning and have that on the commute! There are so many options when you pack :love:

If you pack the right stuff that is filling, you may not need so much. Like fruit, veggies, wraps, protein bars, nuts etc.

Good Luck!
  • I would definitely try to pack food as often as possible. I work full time and I'm a full time student. Theres days when I'm gone for 14 hours. I try to plan ahead on sundays and get the food ready for the week. I pre-cook a few days ahead at a time. I know it's a pain packing for lunch, dinner and snacks, but its your healthiest option. I pack it up in a little cooler I can leave in my car. Although this is the ideal choice, I know it's also difficult. Life happens and you'll find yourself away from home and hungry, or just out with friends. Plan ahead for that too. I have found that theres a lot of nutritional info out there for restaraunts and fast food. Look them up and see what would be the most filling for the least damage. I've become a fan of the KFC boneless filet and green beans when I'm starving with no other options. Relatively low in calories, about 200, just watch your sodium when you eat out different places and be sure to drink plenty of water. The woman at KFC looked at me like I was crazy when I orded my meal and told her I didnt want my drink. She looked like I had completely stumped her and she didnt know what to do lol... But... do what's best for you and your health goals. Just be knowledgeable about what it is that your eating, whether you pack or eat out, and you'll be fine.
  • Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful advice. It really helps a lot and I didn't even think of the money-saving aspect of things so that's even better. Looks like I'm getting a bigger lunch box :)
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Bumblebee tuna makes a little pack with tuna salad and crackers, if you get the fat free one its only 150 calories and they dont have to be kept cold so I always keep those on hand for when I'm at school because sometimes I'm there for 10 hours with no break. If you eat one of those with an individual pack of hummus and some baby carrots and celery its a pretty good lunch.
  • When I was in college I used to bring my lunch every day (more to save money than anything else, but it applies for you too)! There was a row of microwaves in the student union so I was able to pack stuff in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack and warm up homemade food.

Some things you can bring that I just purchased today that would be very helpful:
    Lean Cusine frozen steamer meals
    Lean Pockets
    Healthy Choice steamers
    Tuna packets

Another good tip is to pack a variety of low-cal snacks to help you get through the day. I find that if I eat a Soy Joy bar (or any high fiber / high protein cereal bar) I am not as hungry throughout the day. Also a ziploc bag of nuts or baby carrots is a great snack you can munch on walking between classes. You can even eat these things in the car on your long commute there or back!

Good luck and I hope you do well!