After Dinner Temptations

kookla33
kookla33 Posts: 234
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I started back up recently and am doing pretty well but still having challenges with after dinner snacking.

I don't know what it is but I feel like all I can think about is food when 8pm hits. Any tips to help me get through this? It doesn't semm like it should be this hard!

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Whatever junk food you snack on...get it OUT of the house and don't bring it back!! If you are really hungry at 8, have rice cakes or fruit on hand. Maybe a sugar free pudding? Whenever my nighttime hunger hits, I have a cup of lemon zinger tea with a tsp of honey and then I go to bed, so I don't eat any more!!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    My new fixation is Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets no sugar added hot chocolate. It's so yummy and doesn't taste diet at all. It's only 60 calories but makes me feel like I'm being naughty. It helps when I'm craving all of the things I don't have calories for any more. :wink:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    One thing (actually a couple) that works for me is brushing my teeth after dinner. I don't know if it's just the thought of being finished eating for the day or if the minty toothpaste has something to do with it, but that helps me most of the time. Another is drinking a small glass of chocolate milk. I count that in my calorie intake for the day, but I save it until a couple hrs after my last meal and that gets me to bed time, so you might try that! Good luck finding what works :)
  • I have the same problem. I have been told to brush my teeth after dinner to get rid of any food particles which play with your taste buds. Also, I am told that after some time, those extra cravings will disappear. Other than that, I'm afraid it is stay busy or just go to bed early.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    I work from 7 pm to 1 am, so nighttime snacking has always been a challenge for me. What I found that works for me is to pick one thing, save about 200 calories for it, and schedule when I'm going to enjoy it. That way I can look forward to it, enjoy it, and then brush my teeth and be done for the night. Doesn't work all the time, but helps me not feel deprived. Also decaf flavored coffee and tea. Hope you find something that helps!
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Lately, ive been keeping a large glass of water on my beside table with ice..so when i get that urge..i grab a cube of ice and crunch on it. I also started eating "Lay's Light"..they are only 75 calories per bag! I eat those especially if i havent used all my calories. Good Luck~
  • You may also want to look at what you are eating for dinner that isn't sustaining you. Make sure it has protein and/or whole grains, which take longer to wear off hunger-wise. Just a salad of raw veggies will leave you hungry again soon unless you add some tuna, beans, etc.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    I always get hungry at night. My biggest problem is that I am always the one cooking, so when its time to eat, i only eat a little bit and I am hungry afterwards. So, if there are any left over veggies I eat them, but if its after 8 oclock I try to get a good hot drink. Like alot of other people said, tea works well. I like SleepyTime tea, it relaxes me and becuase its hot I feel like it fills me up more. When I get a sweet craving or "its around that time" and I need chocolate, I go for the sugar free hot chocolate mix. At first I didnt feel completly satisfied, but like other things, you get used to it. Just give it time!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Wow. I have a nice long list now of what I can do when the after dinner cravings hit. Thank you so much everyone.

Also, I do think part of this is just changing my habits. I make sure to eat protein at dinner every night, but I seem to always want a bottomless bowl of popcorn or a big bowl of ice cream with nuts. Then all of a sudden I am stuffed and all the day's discipline is shot on whatever I binged on. On top of that, I wake up feeling all bloated and full. Not a good way to start the day!

Being on here really helps a lot.
This discussion has been closed.