Need Easy snack ideas

Options
Ok, so i just started back at MFP after eating freely for about 3 months, and i'm finding myself quite hungry during mid-morning and mid-afternoon (when I would usually hit the snack drawer at work).

I'm looking for ideas for easy snacks you can eat at work....so far i've been eating grapes and animal crackers...but they aren't doing the trick :(

I need filling and satiating (sp?) foods. sweet & salty, crunchy etc., lots of bulk....anything to trick my mind out of needing boredom food.

Any and all suggestions welcome, and thanks ahead of time

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Almonds are really good for snacking. Have you tried frozen grapes? I like them, because they take a long time to eat, so you feel like you're eating WAY more than you actually are.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    100 calorie snack packs (come in cookies, chips, crackers, etc.)
    Hummus and Pita Chips or Fresh Veggies
    Yogurt cup with fresh or frozen fruit.
    Nuts (Almonds or Cashews- preferably unsalted)
    Apples and 1 TBSP Peanut Butter
    String Cheese
    Crackers w/ Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge.....
  • Loribell23
    Options
    Have you tried the Kashi bars? I love the Pumpkin ones and the Dark Chocolate Coconut!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Popcorn works well for me. Just try to avoid the Pop Secret brand, it's full of fat! Nuts are good, but the portions are small. I have carrots, celery and cucumbers every day with lunch. Apples are good too.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Today for my snacks I had a whey protein shake (made with water) in the morning, and 1/2 cup of shelled soy beans this afternoon. Both snacks packed with protein and both have fiber. Your best best is to snack on protein and fiber rich foods; both make you feel full.
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dried mango is quite chewy and takes a while to get through

Big glasses of water help me too

Pistachios in their shells.
  • paigeski
    Options
    I love the Oats and Honey Nature Valley bars. There's 2 bars in a packet, each one is 95 calories. I usually eat one and save the other one, but they satisfy my need for a crunchy, sweet and satisfying snack. Also, chips and salsa is great-just don't overload on chips like I like to do! 14 chips is about 140 calories (can vary by brand)-add a little avocado too-yum!. I also love hummus, it is great on whole wheat crackers with salsa. Bananas and peanut is good too for filling you up. Yogurt and granola is good too.

Good luck! I work 12 hour days and I know I alway want a snack!
  • 0ssum_Bl0ss0m
    0ssum_Bl0ss0m Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like a good slice of double fiber toast. 70 calories and very filling. Other suggestions include dried fruit and original beef jerky. Something with lots of fiber or protein to keep you feeling satisfied and a big glass of water.
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I like. It's more of a salad, but it could be a snack too.

Carrots in Lemon-Walnut Vinaigrette
    from Healthy Cooking for Two (Or Just You) by Frances Price, RD. Page 92

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
    1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp Walnut or Canola Oil
    3/4 cup Carrots, coarsely grated
    to taste Salt
    to taste Pepper

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard until blended; then gradually whisk in the oil.

Add the carrots and toss well. Taste the salad and season it with salt and pepper as needed. Serve salad immediately or chill it overnight.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots
    Ry Krisp crackers
    FitSmart 35 protein shake (awesome stuff, 20g protein, 10g fiber)
    Jerky
    Clementines (gives your hand something to do)
    Apple (nearly always fills me up till lunch/dinner)
    Pistachios (low fat, high protein nuts...just be sure to get the shelled so you have to work at it)

A LOT OF WATER

I go through oodles and oodles of water everyday...otherwise I'd do nothing but munch.

Good luck!
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try nuts or dried fruit in your drawer...and drink lots of water. That is doing the trick for me. Also, some people like the 100 calorie snacks, but I hate them they leave me craving for more! LOL!
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    craisin 100 calorie packets - sweet and tart
    low sugar maple oatmela - warm and satifying
    carrot/celery - crunch
    malted milk balls - chocolate without AS many calories
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Enemame (sp) is awesome at my desk
    Peanut butter and crackers
    pretzels (no salt)
    Chinese rice crackers
    almonds
    triscuits and hummus
    cosco trail mix
    veggies and dip
    my snack between breakfast and lunch is usually a toasted bagel with really light margarine on it, with an apple and tons of water
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    I like the Emerald cocoa roast almonds. They come in 100 calorie packs and feel naughty because of the chocolate flavor! I also use Kellog Fiber Plus bars. The chocolate chip ones are really good and the fiber helps you feel full. Your stomach may react a little strange at first to increased fiber so beware (don't start using fiber bars on a first date - for instance!) :)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love to have a good banana with a little smear of peanut butter on it. It cures the sweet tooth and the hunger for me!
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    I just joined MFP today, but so far have lost 56 pounds on my own. A bodybuilder got me hooked on chocolate Quaker rice cakes topped with 2 tbsp natural peanut butter. I would suggest the Skippy brand (it's not greasy and tastes a whole lot better).
  • tessac
    tessac Posts: 4
    Options
    Laughing Cow wedges - with celery or multigrain wasa bread. Very filling and only 35 calories per wedge!
  • barowlett4277
    Options
    Try some toasted seasoned chick peas. Open a can of chick peas place in a non stick skillet with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and add what ever seasoning that you like. I like 1/2 tsp of salt and black pepper with 1/2 tsp of smoky paprika. Hope this helps.
  • mokellyp
    mokellyp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pita chips or wasa bread, 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn, and some days I even have enough calories to do a snack size bag of ghardettos. Bananas to me are also very filling.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP today, but so far have lost 56 pounds on my own. A bodybuilder got me hooked on chocolate Quaker rice cakes topped with 2 tbsp natural peanut butter. I would suggest the Skippy brand (it's not greasy and tastes a whole lot better).

oh yes i survive on quaker rice cakes...love 'em!