A marathoner's diet?

CoachHenness
CoachHenness Posts: 1 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm new to MFP but not new to marathons. Since 2008 I have run/walked my way through 2 full marathons and 5 half marathons.
I started MFP on January 1st, 2011 because I plan on completing 2 more full marathons and 5 more half marathons in this year alone! I have a running blog which explains why: http://heavymedal.wordpress.com/

So, I want to be as healthy as possible and make sure that my calories count! That I'm getting full energy and nutrients. Running a lot can make you think that you're allowed to binge before or after a long run but I've realized I'm not always making good choices on what I eat or drink, am often not drinking enough water, and need to put more thought into it. I love that I can track things like calcium, protein, etc.

I know there's a lot of good runner's foods and recipes, etc. I'd love to hear if anyone has some good food tips. For example, I've been told that chocolate milk is a great after-workout drink. It sure does taste good afterward but I'm skeptical of it's value. Does anyone know if the 40-20-20 Carb/Protein/Fat breakdown is still appropriate for runners?

Also, if anyone else has taken up the challenge to run/walk a marathon this year, let's talk about it! What event do you want to do? How is training going? Even if you've only just thought about doing a marathon or half marathon. It's on a lot of people's bucket list.
This discussion has been closed.