In need of a cold shower....

carrie145
carrie145 Posts: 297
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
This may sound like a really dumb question, but the thought occurred to me and I thought I'd ask. Most times when I work out I like to immediately jump into a cold shower to cool off. I wondered if this shocks the body in some way to maybe not register the burn or maybe slows down metabolism? I know I read that drinking ice cold water is better than room temp water because the body has to work harder to process it. So I was thinking does a cold shower have the opposite affect? Or the same affect for that matter, or absolutely no affect at all...Just a random thought....

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Question:

I was wondering, should I take a cold or warm shower or bath after a work-out? I'm confused because everyone tells me different things.

Answer:

It's not essential to have either a cold or hot bath or shower after a work-out but if you need to go back to work or out for the day or evening then it's essential!

Over the past few years, you may have known that footballers and athletes having cold or ice baths straight after a game. The reason behind this is to prevent or reduce any inflammation from injuries that may have occurred during the game. It can also help with a faster recovery, but it's quite painful and not recommended for the average person.

A warm bath or shower is a better option for you, immediately after training as it will help you feel cleansed and more relaxed. It's a great idea to stretch the hamstrings in the bath as the muscles are more relaxed and pliable with warm water.

Leave the cold water and ice baths to professional athletes and enjoy your warm water at the end of each work-out.

I found this online a while back when I wondered the same thing! I take warm showers after taking a cool down walk. Once I'm less hot and the sweat is more cool, I can enjoy a warm shower.

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/fitness/expertadvice/837008/hot-or-cold-shower-after-exercise
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Hmm, I don't know about cold or warm, but I have heard that you should not shower immediately after working out - if you are still sweating when you get in the shower, you can clog your pores. Yuck. So wait til you cool down before showering, if you have the time!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I don't agree with that article. Which is better for you has nothing to do with whether you are a professional or not but with what your workout consisted of.

If you are doing a long distance run or bike ride or a heavy strength workout such as certain Crossfit workouts, you want a cold shower or even an ice bath, if you can stand it. This helps your muscles recover faster.

Taking a warm shower or hitting the jacuzzi should be for when you feel stiff after a workout since warmth relaxes muscles.

And neither has any real impact on your metabolism. (Neither does drinking cold water, btw. There is a difference, but it's so slight that it doesn't matter in the long run.)
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Interesting...I just do it becuz I am hot and I can't stand that feeling...Thanks for the replys..
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    (Neither does drinking cold water, btw. There is a difference, but it's so slight that it doesn't matter in the long run.)

That is what I heard as well...I tend to drink room temp water because I enjoy being able to guzzle what I need and not get brain freeze.
This discussion has been closed.