YOGIS ANONYMOUS

Options

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    i cant believe that anyone who practices the delicate art of yoga would find that acceptable! I dont blame you for not wanting that teacher again! nothing kills the vibe and flow like embarrassing someone in front of others! Its that type of experience that gets the first timers not coming back!

BTW i just wanted to throw it out there, that if you do not currently have a yoga instructor, there are videos and instruction sheets out there. Even if you are afraid of doing the poses wrong, maybe a little bit of low impact stretching within your limits can at least keep you somewhat in practice until you can find a class, or get into a situation where you are more comfortable pushing your limits in home. Just a thought!
    [/quote]

Thanks for the message! I will try a video. :flowerforyou:

Yeah - she wasn't very nice at all! I could tell others were embarrassed, as was I! I have bad knees, so I modify the swan pose, and she was yellin at me, saying I was doing it wrong! Not good! :blushing:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about yoga outside of wiifit so far.

I'm with you M.
    I love it though!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Still have not found a decent yoga class. The problem is that I do not want to pay an additional fee on top of my ym membership. But anyway...

About Pilates! I looooooooooove Piliates. It is not as zen as yoga (I guess I mean, it is not as soothing as yoga), but it is definately more difficult. Its like yoga on steroids. Similarly, there is a lot of balance involved, but there is more calesthenics too. I think that it may be different per instructor. I've never used the pilates machines and/or apparatus... only floor excersizes. Still fun though.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: yoga:heart::heart: :heart: ! I only wish I could better calculate how many calories I burn during.

Hey, does a HRM work for this purpose? (New to HRMs and thinking about purchasing one later...)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

My hubby jokes that it is not a workout, but IT IS!!! I think It's whatever you put into it. If I'm not feeling 100%, I go light, and if I want a workout to push myself, I push myself and drip with sweat.

Make him go with you! That'll show him the reality. :wink: My favorite (evil) thing to watch is when a macho jock-type-dude comes to my bikram class and gets all pissed off because it's hard. (not saying that your husband is that way. . .but. . .watching yoga, it does look easy. . . doing it. . .not so much.!)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have missed this thread for all of this time...
    I :heart: yoga!! I take a class on Fridays. I can definitely tell the difference on the weeks I have missed. (in my mind and body)
    I have not tried any of the DVD's. I have carpet at home though and my mat has double thickness. Would I be able to balance right on carpet?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was out of town when this thread was started - I may be the yoga teacher in question.

I'll explain more about the different styles when I get back from class, need to go NOW! I have one pose I'm working on in my pictures, more to come. :blushing:

Mary
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i've thought about trying yoga to improve my flexibility, breathing, and strength for dancing. most of the dancers i love also practice yoga (ie rachel brice's back bends to turkish drops). any recommendations on dvd's for beginners? i have no interest in the spiritual side of yoga, so please nothing that focuses primarily on meditation. any other bellydancers who also practice yoga (FatDancer i know you're out there:wink: )

thanks,
    em
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    glad this thread is still goin!

natasha...you could probably do most of the yoga with no problem, tho i have to say i do always use my wood floors here at home...

hi all!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    i've thought about trying yoga to improve my flexibility, breathing, and strength for dancing. most of the dancers i love also practice yoga (ie rachel brice's back bends to turkish drops). any recommendations on dvd's for beginners? i have no interest in the spiritual side of yoga, so please nothing that focuses primarily on meditation. any other bellydancers who also practice yoga (FatDancer i know you're out there:wink: )

thanks,
    em

I think you would not be sorry if you got any of Rodney Yee's videos. There are some "beginner" ones available featuring him. Also, Rachel Brice has a yoga/stretching DVD, I think.

Oh, and Natasha. . .I used to do Yoga on a carpeted floor all the time. Should work.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Rodney Yee is my favorite video yoga teacher!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee is my favorite too. Ok yoga types - feel free to amend or correct, it's been a while:

There are three main branches of Hatha Yoga. If you see somewhere offering a "hatha yoga" class, chances are it's a combination between Iyengar and Ashtanga yoga.

Ashtanga Yoga - also called "power yoga" at times. It is a sequence of moves. As you advance you take on new sequences. Very focused on sun salutations. Good for those wanting more of a cardio workout.
    Bikram is a type of ashtanga yoga where heat (usually 95-100 degrees F) is used to loosen the muscles. Good for those who like to sweat. Sometimes called "hot yoga" to avoid Bikram's copyright. Note, ashtanga is usually hotter than other yoga classes, but not as hot as Bikram

Iyengar Yoga uses props to assist the student into correct form. Poses are generally held for a longer time than in other hatha yoga types. Good for the type "A" person who likes form or those with injuries.
    Anusara yoga - you may not see this one offered, but I had to put it in here because it's the type I do. It's a form of Iyengar that doesn't take itself too seriously. A light heart is key in this yoga

Vinyasa yoga is a flow class. You move from one position to the next without breaks. It's somewhere between Ashtanga and Iyengar.

Kundalini yoga is not a "hatha yoga" - there is more chanting, meditation, and focus on the breath in these classes. Good for those that need to relax.

Hope that helps!
  • tashjs21
    Options
    glad this thread is still goin!

natasha...you could probably do most of the yoga with no problem, tho i have to say i do always use my wood floors here at home...

hi all!

I miss my wood floors :sad:
    I'll give it a shot. It may be even more of a workout trying to keep my balance. We shall see!
    Thanks!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    yea, itll fine tune those specific muscles!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I've finally found a nice yoga class in my area!!! Its a fusion of several types, which means its not as earthy/old school as I usually like my yoga to be, but its still great for my mood. My goal is to go 2-3 times a week. I feel so relaxed afterwards that I really think this goal will help my stress level.

Has anyone noticed that they don't really sweat from their yoga class? I've got to do aerobics for at least 20 minutes before my yoga class to feel like I've got a workout.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Has anyone noticed that they don't really sweat from their yoga class? I've got to do aerobics for at least 20 minutes before my yoga class to feel like I've got a workout.

Sorry. . .I'm doing bikram right now. . so that made me giggle. I've never sweated so much in my whole life! (and I was born and raised in Florida).

Before I started Bikram, I hardly ever broke a sweat in yoga, though.:flowerforyou:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    It depends on what we are doing but there are some days that I come out of yoga sweating my butt off.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well, I still consider myself a newbie to yoga but I'm finding that it is my favorite workout. My balance and my flexibility is beginning to improve, which is encouraging. I find it to be really relaxing. I'd like to begin learning more about it. Any recommendations for reading?
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    those of you who love yoga would also love mat pilates, without machines.

Ive been practicing this for a while now, and find that I love what it ads to my daily movement. It directly involves the core and makes you 're-realize' all of your stabilizing core muscles...

ive been sitting on a workout ball instead of my desk chair at work for a few months now, and that combined with the pilates is making me feel like a much stronger person! I use a stretchy band for my arms during pilates... and definitely seeing results!
  • ajikan81
    ajikan81 Posts: 6
    Options
    It shouldn't be a problem unless your carpet is really plush. I do yoga at home with my double thick mat on carpet and have no issues.