TRX suspension trainer

cbri123
cbri123 Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone used one? Are they worth the money? The reviews look really good...

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    We have the TRX resistance bands that we use with the P90X workouts. We haven't followed the TRX workouts though. The bands are great though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There are two issues:

One: quality of the actual "equipment" itself. That, I can say, is outstanding. We use them in a commercial setting and there are zero problems with wear, even w/high volume use.

Second: quality of the training. Here is where you have to analyze the movements, look at the resistance, compare it to your goals and see if it meets your needs. TRX is not the same as lifting weights. That doesn't mean it's not as good, it's just different. If you gauge progress by how much you bench press, then doing a steady diet of TRX will most likely cause your bench press performance to decline. Again, that is not necessarily a negative. TRX is going to give you a higher level of "functional" strength than lifting weights. How that translates into real life benefits, again, is up to interpretation.

Personally, I don't see TRX as a great muscle "mass" builder, but I have not used it extensively or exclusively. One of my colleagues at work has been using his as his main strength training modality for about six months. He would concur with my analysis, and he uses a dumbbell set to supplement TRX. He is also planning to start to reintegrate some traditional lifting back into his routine.

One of the great advantages of TRX is it's size and portability. The price/effectiveness ratio is outstanding.

So, bottom line, I think TRX is a great system with a lot of advantages. I've not seen any infomercials for it, but I suspect, like all infomercials, it overstates the benefits. I don't think you could do TRX exclusively forever, but I also don't think there is a better way to spend $200 on a piece of home strength equipment -- you could pay 5x that much for a "home gym" and still not get anything as useful as TRX.

You just really have to understand how it works and whether or not that type of training will match your specific goals.
  • Thanks! That really helps me make the decision much easier. I am going to pick up a set. I used to lift weights, and while I did gain some muscle mass it made me very 'tight' and stiff. My main goal is functional strength for martial arts and building my 'core'. I don't want to put on any mass. If anything I would like to lose some and just be more 'cut' if that makes sense.

There is a store local to me that carries these I will pick one up this week and start using it.

I too have the p90X set but haven't tried it. I haven't had time, but now I have to 'knuckle down' and get to business!

Thanks all!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    I have singed up for an "TRX Boot Camp Workout" at my gym this Sunday. Really don't know what to expect but wanted to mix it up and try something different.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I have singed up for an "TRX Boot Camp Workout" at my gym this Sunday. Really don't know what to expect but wanted to mix it up and try something different.

I think that if you do TRX a lot you eventually start reaching some limits as to what it can do. Most clubs I have seen that feature TRX eventually start adding TRX to other classes (or start adding other activities to the TRX workout) to provide more variety. We have done the same thing at our center, after about six months of TRX-only classes.

I think TRX is a great modality to use with a "boot camp" style workout.

I have mentioned before that, while I see it being used a lot, I don't do a lot of personal work on the TRX. Mainly because I barely have enough time to do my regular thing and none of the classes we offer fit my schedule (they are either on my days off or during my work shift). I mainly incorporate some basic exercises when I am doing some metabolic circuits and some functional stuff for injury rehab.

As someone who was never strong enough to do a lot of "body weight" type exercises, I take a silly amount of pleasure at being able to do the basic TRX exercises. I find that it's a great way to "apply" what I call the "bulk strength" you get from traditional weight lifting and actually put it to some use.

I think you'll enjoy it.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148

I think that if you do TRX a lot you eventually start reaching some limits as to what it can do. Most clubs I have seen that feature TRX eventually start adding TRX to other classes (or start adding other activities to the TRX workout) to provide more variety. We have done the same thing at our center, after about six months of TRX-only classes.

I think TRX is a great modality to use with a "boot camp" style workout.

I have mentioned before that, while I see it being used a lot, I don't do a lot of personal work on the TRX. Mainly because I barely have enough time to do my regular thing and none of the classes we offer fit my schedule (they are either on my days off or during my work shift). I mainly incorporate some basic exercises when I am doing some metabolic circuits and some functional stuff for injury rehab.

As someone who was never strong enough to do a lot of "body weight" type exercises, I take a silly amount of pleasure at being able to do the basic TRX exercises. I find that it's a great way to "apply" what I call the "bulk strength" you get from traditional weight lifting and actually put it to some use.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the information. I will let you know after I've attended.
This discussion has been closed.