How to "Get out of" starvation mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Additionally I might add. I was actually in starvation mode for a while and have since managed to slowly work out of it. It took about a month. Increased my Eating by about 500 calories. Increased my water intake and tried very hard to leave my exercise the same.

Eat all your calories. Eating less worked for a while but I never lost extra weight because of it. but I did lose a month trying to fix what I broke.

Well said and I love the verse from Isaiah. Apropo for an aspiring marathoner such as myself. You might have gotten out of S/M quicker if you cut down or stopped exercise for a week. One bodybuilding book I read said that it's good to cycle your workout program as such: 6 weeks on 4 to 7 days off and switch to a different routine. They equate it to zigzag carb intake....keep the body guessing.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You have had incredible success so far. I started in 11/1 at 184 lbs and I exercise all the time, go under my calories, but get at least a net of 1200 MOST days and I have only lost 10 - 12 pounds. You probably have an efficient metabolism but yes you don't want to mess it up. Exercise will help and eating the right kind of foods will too. If you eat junk (processed foods, trans fats, HFCS etc) you will eventually mess up your metabolism.

I was recently at a seminar on weight loss and toxicity and the doctor talked about fasting and detox and said basically if you eat too little or detox without guidance (and yes he is trying to get patients and sell them supplements!) it's like using a blower in your garage without opening the doors. You're just blowing crap around without clearing it out. Exercise and eating well helps "open the doors" (as do his supplements!)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Amycal... check out: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. Best book I've read on healthy weightloss and exercise.