advice??

ixsaraxi
ixsaraxi Posts: 19
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi I'm new to this working thing and eating healthy so I'd like some different ideas and thoughts. I am currently trying to stay around 1200 calories a day, I am a stay at home mom and have a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I am working out with either 30 Day shred, Zumba, or on the Elliptical every day to reach at lease 500 calories burned per day and at least 3500 per week. I just recently bought the biggest loser for the wii so I will be adding that into the mix as well. Just curious to see what you all are doing and thoughts or opinions on my routine. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I would actually bump up your calories a bit. If you're only eating 1200 calories a day and burning 500 calories per day with your workouts, you are only consuming about 700 calories per day net, which could put you into the dreaded starvation mode. I would try to eat at least 1500 calories per day, maybe a little more. Otherwise, your metabolism may slow down and try to hold onto your fat deposits. This can also result in you gaining the weight back (plus more) when you start eating a higher calorie diet.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    My food diary is public. Just be sure you are eating back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Good luck to you!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    The routine sounds great but it doesn't sound like you are eating enough.

I know that is probably the last thing you want to hear but 1200 calories is the minimum that your body burns on a daily basis just to live (breath, heart, etc). If you are exercising then you are burning more calories and I think it is always a good idea to eat 1/2 of those calories.

If you don't eat more on the days you exercise your body is going to go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie you eat.

I know it sounds counterintuative but eat more on the days you exercise. It will do the body good.

Good luck on the routing. It sounds like you have a great plan.

Eva
  • thanks everyone i think i am going to bump it up to 1500!!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Fill out the goals section and try to lose one or two pounds a week and you'll see the difference in calorie reccomendations. Remember that NETcalories are the TOTAL of food you eat MINUS the exercise calories you burn. Eat the calories that the program prescribes and the weight will come off and you will develop better eating habits by logging what you eat. One other thing... smaller portions and more meals (4-5) three hours apart. Water, water, water despite whatever you might read on other MBs on here. Good Luck an God Bless.
This discussion has been closed.