Homemade protein bars

agibsonky
agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
So, my Mom came home from curves with a recipe for homemade protein bars. They were promoting it to be a "healthy snack", but when I put it into the recipe calculator, it calculates out to be more than 600 calories per serving. Am I missing something???

Here is the recipe:
1 jar all natural peanut butter
1 3/4 cup honey
microwave 1 minute
Mix in 2 1/4 cup protein powder (vanilla)
2 cups quick oats
1 cup steel cut oats

spread in 7x11 pan (I figured this at about 12 servings - 2 inches wide by 3 inches long)

Does anyone have a lower calorie version of something like this that I can keep in the freezer for busy mornings when I don't have time for a good breakfast???

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    That's a high-fat, high-carb mix (with a good amount of protein too), I'm not surprised at the calorie total. Sorry, that's not for me, I try to avoid the high-fat/high-carb combination!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Cut them in half and they aren't a bad meal replacement bar...which is what they would be!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    the PB, honey and protein powder are all high calorie counters and the first two are high in the fat, hence the high numbers.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    I'm really glad I did the calorie counter before I made them and wasted all those ingredients! I think that recipe's going back on the shelf for someday when I'm trying to GAIN weight (like that'll ever happen).
This discussion has been closed.