How long is too long in the crock pot?

Options
We are having chili tomorrow and we have a huge window of time where it should cook. My boyfriend is super antsy and has combined all the ingredients already-which smell amazing! I know most chilis can be in the crock pot on high for 4-6 hours but if we had it on low.... how long can we let it stew?? :-D Looking forward to the YUMMY, but don't want it to be grody!

Replies

• overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    Have you looked online to see what some recipes tell you? I just took a quick look and there is a range from 7 to 12 hours on low. Hope it turns out well. i love cooking in the crock pot
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I have a beef stew recipe that cooks for 10-12 hours on low but I'm not sure that chili could take that long. I think it could definitely do 8 hours on low though, maybe even longer. Does your crockpot have a "keep warm" option?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Our big one does not have a "keep warm" option. I told him to refrigerate it tonight and then turn it on when he gets home from work around 630 am. This should give it time to soak all together and then give it a good 12 hours to cook. I am not really worried about it drying out since all of the meats we put in are ground. It should be ok at 12 hrs on low... I hope. It smells delicious!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Most recipes I've seen for crock pots simply double the time if it's on low.
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We have had chili in the crock pot for up to 24 hours on low. The ingredients just simmer longer, and the flavors meld. It really won't hurt anything.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Double the time on low is usually how it goes. The great thing about chili and crock pots is, you really can't overcook it. If you have it on low you could leave it there for a loooooooong time before it does anything bad. Worst case scenario, you would just want to add a little more water if enough water evaporates to get the consistency you want. It's going to be good... trust the crock pot chili. :-)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mmmm...the longer the better!!!