So disappointed ...

Options
I took a cab to the race I was signed up for this morning. The race I have been diligently training for since March. The entrances to the site were so backed up it was impossible for the driver to drop me off near the race start area. He had the nerve to offer to drop me right on the highway, but it seemed too dangerous to get out there - I wasn't going to risk getting hit to run a race.

I could have asked him to circle back and try the approach again - there were a couple less dangerous spots where he could have dropped me, but I knew that I wasn't carrying enough cash. And there was no way to get to this race site via train, bus or subway. I knew that I'd miss it.

Now I'm back home, the race is going to start in 2 minutes and I'm very very disappointed. :frown:

I can't wait to move back to NY, where the subway gets you within 3 blocks of any entrance to Central Park, and this never would have happened. I'll keep doing my 8-mile long runs until I sign up for one of the several NY half-marathons this summer and resume my training in earnest once I schedule that.

Just needed to complain about this - it always sucks when you don't get to do something you worked so hard for. Thanks for reading. :ohwell:

YP

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I took a cab to the race I was signed up for this morning. The race I have been diligently training for since March. The entrances to the site were so backed up it was impossible for the driver to drop me off near the race start area. He had the nerve to offer to drop me right on the highway, but it seemed too dangerous to get out there - I wasn't going to risk getting hit to run a race.

I could have asked him to circle back and try the approach again - there were a couple less dangerous spots where he could have dropped me, but I knew that I wasn't carrying enough cash. And there was no way to get to this race site via train, bus or subway. I knew that I'd miss it.

Now I'm back home, the race is going to start in 2 minutes and I'm very very disappointed. :frown:

I can't wait to move back to NY, where the subway gets you within 3 blocks of any entrance to Central Park, and this never would have happened. I'll keep doing my 8-mile long runs until I sign up for one of the several NY half-marathons this summer and resume my training in earnest once I schedule that.

Just needed to complain about this - it always sucks when you don't get to do something you worked so hard for. Thanks for reading. :ohwell:

YP
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That sucks!!!! I'm so sorry that you can't run your race. :frown:

You could still run around your neighborhood or something, right??? :ohwell: I mean, go ahead and do the race, just not on the official route...???...I don't know...I don't have very good advice, do I?
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That sucks and I'm sorry. How disappointing for you. I'm sure you would have kicked some major butt. Don't you hate those "time and unforeseen occurrences". And the crappy transportation system the US has. Baltimore is worse by the way. But keep training. There's another race right around the corner for you and you're going to do it!!! I'm simply impressed that you entered a race. That's really putting yourself out there.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :smile: I appreciate the suggestion. The only problem is that my normal running path is through the course for the race, except that I run in the opposite direction. I'll probably have to wait until it's over (around 10) or else I might be in the way of the lead runners (who are running 5-minute miles).

But I'll do my long run this morning. When everyone wearing bibs is off the running path. :smile:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you weren't able to make your race...don't be blue Yellow Pepper...you're already looking forward to your next race!