Question, please help

Options
I am new to this site and I wondered if you don't eat all your calories, etc (meaning you eat less) will you still lose weight or do you have to eat your "target". If you can east less then your target, how much less to lose weight. I know that I did weight watchers and they said you HAVE to eat your allowed points or you would tend to gain weight...is this the same?
Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• MarriedMama
    Options
    Hi ~ Welcome!

I often eat less than my target calories, but I always try to eat 1200 net calories a day so that I don't go in to starvation mode.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You should maintain at least 1200 NET calories a day. If you fall short of this on occasion it's not a big deal but you should not consistently be short of this.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    It's a tricky balance : eat too much and you'll gain, eat too little and your body will go into what I call "caveman mode" - when your body is unsure of when your next meal will be and begins storing as a result. I would say play around a bit (my nutritionist advised this when I asked her about my metabolism possibly changing and how I should figure out how much I should be eating). Spend a few weeks eating all your supposed to eat and see if you gain, stay the same, or lose. You can also try eating over or under.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that when you eat, ask yourself if you're hungry (and remember when you're eating that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the message that your body has been fed). I read a nutritionist's blog, and one of her best posts is on "honoring thy hunger and thy fullness." It's a good rule to live by - your body knows best.
  • shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    is 1200 calories what they give to all? Mine is 1200 - I logges my foods / drinks today and I didn't hit all my "targets" but I didn't go over either - is that how this is supposed to work?
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1200 calories a day and never eating my exercise calories and I hit a hardcore plateau!!! My suggestion is eat around 1500 /day or at least half of your exercise calories.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The 1200 is the minimum you should eat/drink a day. That is the same for everyone to not get into starvation mode, which only causes that you might lose at the start but your body thinks you starve and starts to collect fat so you don't which ends in gaining weight again or/and hitting plateau.

Your personal calorie goal depends on how much you weigh, how much you move in daily life etc. When i started mine was at 3800, it's down to 2400 now, your's seem to be at 1200 after what you've put into the calculator.

When you have calories left on that low level it might be better to have some more calories income. You do not need to eat them. You can also drink them. Juices, protein shakes whatever has calories can help with that. I am often under my goal of calories and then drink the rest.