The Plank

ObviousIndigo
ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started to do this exercise. I can do 5 variations of it holding each for 10 seconds right now. I was just curious if anyone has seen a difference in the tone of their muscles since doing this exercise. Like does it burn tummy fat and help build a 6pack? What should I expect?
Thanks
Oh... I know I am not holding it for very long yet but it is literally my 3rd day and it hurts to laugh!

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Just so you know, you can't target area to lose weight. Your body will decide when to get rid of that belly fat, and there isn't anything that you can do to target the area yourself.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Plank is a killer especially at the end of a workout. I do not know how quick you will see results but I know it used to break me when it was part of my routine.
  • how do u do a plank?????
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    build 6-pack yes... burn tummy fat specifically no... keep doing it with other weight loss and the 6-pack will be there when you reveal it.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    build 6-pack yes... burn tummy fat specifically no... keep doing it with other weight loss and the 6-pack will be there when you reveal it.

Thank you!! That is exactly what I wanted to know!! Do you know if it works other muscles too? Or just abdominal?
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    how do u do a plank?????
    pushup position but put your forearms on the floor, hands out in front and hold body straight from head to toe.

O
    ______l ________ll________
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    how do u do a plank?????

A plank is when you "hover" over the ground in a straight line just on your elbows if that makes any sense. You'll know you're doing it right if your abs start to shake about 3 seconds in. :laugh:

A plank is when you "hover" over the ground in a straight line just on your elbows if that makes any sense. You'll know you're doing it right if your abs start to shake about 3 seconds in. :laugh:

thanks so much

thanks
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Planks are an awesome exercise because you use your entire body. You're working back, shoulders, legs and of course you abs. A great core workout!
  • A plank is when you "hover" over the ground in a straight line just on your elbows if that makes any sense. You'll know you're doing it right if your abs start to shake about 3 seconds in. :laugh:
    It actually works your full core: abs, obliques, lower back... and if you're doing it right, then you're working your arms, your shoulders, your hips, your quads, your upper back.... it's an AMAZING all body workout. that's why your whole body starts shaking when you reach your limit. lol...

keep up the great work! :)
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    My husband is a fighter and an instructor for MMA & Jeet Kune Do, and an all around fitness machine...anyway, he (along with the other fighters--including pro fighters-- at his gym) do plank in various forms as part of their core routine. So, don't doubt it, it's a great core strengthener.

And while you cannot spot train any area, (only calories out burns fat!) the tighter and more toned an area is, and especially the midsection, the smaller it will appear!!

Good luck!
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    I really am not sure about what areas of my body the plank has improved, but I will say that 1 year ago when I started working out, I seriously could not hold a plank for 5 seconds!!! I remember wondering if I would ever get better at it. Well I did! I know do them on a regular basis and can hold for 30 seconds!! I have done 10 in a row with brief resting but it kills! lol this may not seem like much, but I'm 48 and have never had upper body strength so for me, its a great accomplishment and also a great excercise for any age!
This discussion has been closed.