calorie intake

Options
I have been going under 1200 calories. I really do not dom it on purpose.I read in several places that I do not need to go under that because my body goes in starvation mode.So m y question is.If I now start eating 1200 calories will I gain weight?

Replies

• butterfly4u2us
    Options
    I have been going under 1200 calories. I really do not dom it on purpose.I read in several places that I do not need to go under that because my body goes in starvation mode.So m y question is.If I now start eating 1200 calories will I gain weight?
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Im on 1200 cals a day to sometimes i go over and sometimes under. I have only been on for a week. I weighed myself this morning and i have lost 2 1/2 pounds so far and im not supposed to weight in till Monday. Might be best the next week stick and eat 1200 cals and see if it makes a difference. Personally i dont think 1200 cals is enough for me and im always hungry are you??????

Pamela xxx

:flowerforyou:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i'm in the same place as you butterfly - i am constantly on the go and eating the allotted calories they give me on here seems absolutely ridiculous! and to tell you the truth, i barely ever make my calories for the day because i am so full by the end of it. but... this is what i've been doing. if i see at the end of the day i'm under 1200 (because it really is bad for your body - your metabolism slows down, and your body stores the fat because it's not getting the proper nutrients) i'll have a big glass of chocolate milk, or some crackers with peanut butter. this usually puts me over the 1200 marker. i know it's hard when you think you're going to gain weight if you eat more, but your body will naturally adjust. the biggest problem i've had is knowing when to force (okay that was a bad word choice, lol) those extra calories in or not.

i hope this helped - let me know if i can add anymore suggestions.
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how you both manage to stay under 1200 a day! I'm the opposite, I always go over, so have upped my exercise to compensate. But I've never counted calories before, and have always chosen diets where you can eat plenty of food and never go hungry, maybe that's why. It doesn't seem to have done me any harm, I'm almost at my goal and don't feel deprived at all.

What sort of things are you eating to stay under 1200 calories?
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    There's a great article explaining why eating enough and eating every few hours is so important:
    http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100

You may (or may not) gain a little while your body will adjust but than you'll start losing.
  • butterfly4u2us
    Options
    Do you gain weight when you make up your calories? I read in a curves book,if you go to 1,200 calories and you gain.Then for two or three days you need to eat whatever you want.Then after that you go back on your 1,200 calorie and stick to it ,and you will start to loose again.I am not use to eating that much.I just made my self eat some healthy cereal.I am very full. Also I just got back into my pre baby pants. I hate to get back out of them but i want to be healthy. I am going to try and meet my calories every night. Tonight i am still under but I am too full.if i get stuck I will try the curves idea.it says that it will boost your metabolism.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok here it is again , These are the posts you need to read in order to understand the way we loose weight, and yes you are to eat all your exercise calories and yes it works . I have been here 2 and a half weeks andy ou can read all the success stories o n here and will see if you keep with what they tell you you will have success
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    You have to put your food into the calculator and your excerseses and the pc will tell you how much you should eat. Good luck and welcome:flowerforyou:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    well what's your height and weight?

If I hate 2,000 calories a day, I'd gain weight. :)

If I ate 1,200 calories a day, I'd still gain weight. :)

Eat your exercise calories?
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    It's very easy for me to go over 1200 calories. And I rarely eat garbage. If, for example, I allow myself icecream, I eat at most 1/5 of a pint. I think the last time I had ice cream was 6 months ago. I like good healthy fresh food, and I use very little oil and moderate sizes. So I too would like to know how others keep it down so low, so easily. The only way I "make" my 1200 mark is because I run off 400 calories for an hour everyday, and therefore get to eat as much as 1600 calories. I never actully eat 1600, but that's the only way I can deal with always going over 1200.
  • butterfly4u2us
    Options
    what if you go over your protein,carbs etc to get your calorie intake. This is a problem that I am having also.
  • windian
    windian Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I reach a flat spot, meaning I am not loosing weight, :frown: I increase my calorie intake for a few days and then go back to my regular diet. It never fails. I will usually drop a pound or two. :happy: This occurs about every other weekend. So, what I am saying is, just stay on your diet for two weeks and then splurge for a weekend. I just recently had lap band surgery, so my intake is much less than most others; however, I am eating 1000 calories per day and quite satisfied. For breakfast, I have a Lean Pocket, and for lunch and supper, I have Lean Cusine. In between meals, I have a 100 calorie or less snack, morning, afternoon, and evening. When I excercise, I earn calories, so that gives me another snack or two. Right now, it seems as though I am eating all day long, or at least every two or three hours. A really good snack for me is Blue Bell No Sugar Bullets (popsicles). I can have several per day and they are delicious.
  • butterfly4u2us
    Options
    I have increased my intake.Today I thought that i did good.not quite the mark though. So far I have mainatined my weight.I am not loosing though.I will probably eat what I want for a couple of days the go to 1,200 and make sure i stay there for a bit.