• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    white girls??????

How does this only apply to Caucasians?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    While I am concerned with the hormones in our food too, some girls started periods early and had breasts early way back when, but I suppose they didn't keep statistics back then. I was born in 1951, wore a bra (much to my embarassment at 32 DD) when I was 9 and started my period when I was 10. I was horrified. I think we should be equally concerned about all the stress our children live in today, because stress produces hormones too.

Don't I know it about the stress. I started developing around 9, started my period at 11, but was constantly depressed for some years and completely quit developing from 12 to 15. I didn't have my final growth spurt until I was 20 because of the 3 years my puberty was delayed/paused.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    white girls??????

How does this only apply to Caucasians?

White women have historically developed later than women of other races. It probably has to do with a difference in food sources, nutritional quality, life expectancy and diseases present in the environment. But Europe and North America have moved much faster into industrial societies that manipulate food sources and nutrition, so we're really just catching up to other races that have been studied. Remember that we're really only comparing black and white here; most ethnic groups are multi-racial and have either been previously ignored by studies, or because of a lack of historic records, can't be studied in great depth.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    From the articles I've read about it, it's not that SOME girls haven't always developed relatively early (due to genetics or natural hormonal differences), it's that the trend over the last 30 years or so is that the AVERAGE age of development is lower. For example, (totally just making up numbers - don't quote this!) - maybe 30 years ago the average was 13, with some as young as 8 and some as old as 16. More girls are starting at 8 or 9 now, so that lowers the average age.

At any rate, it's certainly a disturbing trend. It has SO many far-reaching implications, from social to health factors, that all impact eachother and turn into a vicious cycle.