Is (hatha) yoga enough?

littlemoron
littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi folks,

I love yoga, specifically hatha, flow and restorative types. I find the atmosphere in these classes to be non-competitive, positive and free of judgment. BUT, is it enough? If I ONLY did yoga, would I see the weight loss results I am looking for? Any happy yogis out there?

Thank you!

littlemoron :flowerforyou:

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    The best thing you can do is try it out, and see if you're getting the results you are looking for. There is no one sized fits all solution to weight loss, and a number of different methods will work. The key is finding the one right for you.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    I have one friend who lost 40lbs with only 20min of yoga a day and very clean eating so i know it can be done! Her yoga might have been a bit more intense than hatha, though I know it wasn't extreme bikram.... As NightOwl said the best thing to do is experiment! Keep in mind that exercise is what you do 1hr everyday and diet is what you do the other 23 ;)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Weight loss is mathematics - you need a caloric deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. If you are staying within your calorie limit set by MFP, ANY extra exercise will help. But if you want it to come off faster or you want to get fitter and stronger, you'll probably want to get your heart beating faster with more challenging exercises. I do ashtanga yoga once a week as part of my regular exercise routine and it burns about 300 calories over an hour. I supplement this with running 3-5 times a week, and circuit training.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    I would keep up the yoga because it is very healthy, healing and prevents injury. But might try other exercises to spice up your metabolism

I saw a segment on TV of a 90 year old lady teaching yoga. She use to be a professional dancer. Just goes to show, you take care of your body and your body take care of you. :smile:
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Do vinyasa/flow, power or Bikram and I think you will be pleased with what you see in your body. Try it, at least. If it doesn't do anything for you....move on. I love yoga and do it a few times a week.
  • littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    I just did a vinyasa/flow class tonight and it was awesome!

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

: )
This discussion has been closed.