How Do I Eat Healthy On A College Campus?!

Rnohe
Rnohe Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all! I am a sophomore in college and my goal is to lose at least 20 pounds by my 20th birthday (August 30th)

I want to start of my 20's feeling great and feeling confident.

But I was wondering if I could get any advice of how to eat healthy on a college campus and would love to hear from college alumni that have had to deal with this same challenge.

Good luck to everyone, and just by making this first step, we are all doing alot better !

:):):)

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    When I went to school, they listed all the nutritional information for all of the dishes in the cafeteria. If they do that at your school, it should make eating healthier significantly easier. You just gotta be really choosy with what you eat.
  • kenya84
    kenya84 Posts: 41
    I know this struggle oh to well. I went to college in a true college town that is nothing more than restaurants and bars. When I was an undergrad all we did was eat, drink, and eat some more. I guess it doesn't help that I now work the university. lol

It can be very challenging but not impossible. At this age and being in college eating and drinking is almost a part of every social event, not to mention munching on snacks when studying, stressed, or bored. Here is my advice to you:

EAT BREAKFAST. Make sure you incorporate proteins into your breakfast. I hear Kashi cereals have just as much protein as an egg.

Don't drink your calories. There is a Starbucks and a Panera in every college town. If you are a coffee drinking give up the cappuccinos, lattes, and macchiatos and opt for a regular black coffee and add splenda and non dairy creamer or get a skinny option from starbucks.

Skip the vending machines. Hit up walmart or the grocery store and pick up healthy snacks that you can keep in your room or apt. Pack your own snacks and lunch for when you are on campus. Fruit, 100 calorie snacks, almonds, light yogurt, and baby carrots are just a few healthy snacks that you can just throw in your back pack and go to class.

Drink plenty of water. I only allow myself to have a diet pop/soda after I've drank 2 liters of water a day. When I was in school I purchased a 32 ounce water bottle and carried it with me and refilled it when I was done.

When you go out to eat with your friends pick healthy options. Grilled chicken, salad, steam veggies, and etc. Skip the fried and sugary foods.

If you live on campus and have to eat in the dining hall most college campuses now have an healthy option on their menu. Go for the salad bar, deli sandwiches, grilled chicken, baked sweet potato, etc. We have a really awesome dining hall so hopefully your school has these options.

Be active. If your college is a pedestrian friendly campus, walk to class and around campus instead of driving. Go to the student recreation center, hopefully your school has one. If they offer group fitness classes take a class it's fun and you get a good workout.

The biggest issue that I faced and still do is that if you drink cut back on drinking or drink low cal drinks. If you drink beer stop. Nothing kills me more than seeing a little skinny girl with a beer gut!lol! I still have to drink but I drink vodka and tonic, diet tonic if the bar has it or shots of just straight alcohol. If you are a mix drinking go for diet pop/soda skip the long islands, hurricanes, blue MFers, green dragons, amaretto sours..ok this is making me wish I was still in college.

Most importantly do not deprive yourself going out and having fun is what college is about. If you see all of your friends going out eating whatever and you don't allow yourself to have pizza once in a while you are going to loose it and eat everything in site. Trust me I did that over Christmas and it is not fun. Make healthy choices that you can continue to do for the rest of your life. Also, when it comes to working out do not wait for anybody. I tried to get a workout buddy while I was in college and if I would have waited for her I would have never stepped foot in the Rec center.

If this is what you want work hard at it and you will get there. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.