Am I doing this right?

Options
Ok, I don't believe I'm going about this the right way. My calories per meal is sometimes averaging over 400 calories. Am I going to lose weight this way. I never counted caories before and I'm afraid that if I eat too many calories in one meal, I'm defeating my purpose. Help!!:sad:

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat 40 calories or 400 calories per meal... whatever your prerogative. The main goal is to make sure you hit your daily calorie, fat, carb, protein, sugar, sodium, etc. goals that you have set for yourself... each person eats differently... some eat a lot of small meals, some eat 3 squares and no snacks... there is no right or wrong way. I would suggest making some friends on here (you can friend me if you'd like) and opening up your food diary for them to view. That way, you can get some honest suggestions if you find you are running out of calories at night, need suggestions for meals, or whatever the case may be.

My best advice is to give yourself time to learn. It takes a while to figure out what is going to work for you... if you go over at first- that's ok! This is a learning process to undo years of bad habits. Allow yourself time to change- no one can do a 180 overnight. As time progresses- you'll learn ways to tweak your eating habits, meals, etc. This transition is gradual and will ensure you change your lifestyle and not just go on a "diet" with temporary changes. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all by any means as I am STILL figuring out what works for me daily as I lose weight and face new challenges... but there is no such thing as a right or wrong way! You can do it! Just give yourself time and you're taking the first step by reaching out for suggestions.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating the right things, but just your sizing of your meals are too big!?
    I could definately go over my calorie count by doing that.... so if you're eating all the right things maybe buy smaller plates/bowls etc
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I would for sure check the serving size and also check the ingredients of what you are making. Could you have picked a low fat option for one of the ingredients? Used less cheese? Are you eating out too much? You really have to sit down and examine the whole process. Like Clint's Wifey said, this is a process. Its going to take time and its not going to happen over night so please make sure you give yourself some slack. :o) You could make your diary open and I'd be happy to take a look at it for you! :o)
  • helluva4
    Options
    Hey thanks guys for the insight. I definitely will take all the advice into consideration. I thank you for responding as well. I will open the diary and you guys please help me! It's good to know you have people willing to be helpful. I will say this is embarassing to open up like this. But I've been hiding all these years right? I said time for change, so here goes! :embarassed:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks guys for the insight. I definitely will take all the advice into consideration. I thank you for responding as well. I will open the diary and you guys please help me! It's good to know you have people willing to be helpful. I will say this is embarassing to open up like this. But I've been hiding all these years right? I said time for change, so here goes! :embarassed:

Good for you! It took me 3 months to open up my diary to my friends and it was so liberating. Now they see me- the real me- in all my glory. If I eat a snickers bar... by God it is there for all to see.

I'll tell you what- not 1 person in 5 months has EVER made a negative remark about some of my "bad choices." I hope you find that everyone is equally as uplifting and appreciates your honesty. Some days we are rockstars and some days we want to crawl under a rock... lol We're here for you and no one will judge! Honesty is what it takes to change your life. The food journal keeps you honest with yourself (only way it will work, right?) and being open with others removes fear, shame, and hiding- a lot of negative emotions.

This site has helped me realize that I am NOT my food. It does not represent me or my emotions... and I'm not going to let it do that anymore. If I have a candy bar? So what- that doesn't mean a thing... If I went over my calories today by 200? So what- tomorrow is a new day and I'm still going to rock this out!
  • helluva4
    Options
    Alright that sounds wonderful, will be adding some friends and even on my facebook page!