Do I really need a heart rate monitor?

Options
Hi,
I have been reading several posts about calories burned and using a heart rate monitor. I am in good health, a little on the heavy side, but fixing that and am pondering getting a heart rate monitor to know how many calories I burn. But at the same time I think that just moving my body (which I avoided at all costs before) should help me shed the pounds.
I also wonder how to calculate cals burned using the Wii and different workout cds.
Any help/ insight/ advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Depends how much weight you want to loose and how strict you want to be......I HIGHLY recommend one...I own 2--keeping one in the car for my gym workouts and keep one at home for those....everyone works out at different intensities so no way to know exactly how many calories you are burning without one.....just check around and don't be in a big hurry, check out all the feature (don't buy one more advanced than you need) and wait for a good sale (they come up all the time, especially at this time of year)...and make sure you buy one with a chest strap....hope this helps...I feel a HRM is the best purchase I have made yet....
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me, my heart rate monitor made a huge difference to my motivation and definitely helped me get fit.

Training in different heart rate zones has different effects on fat loss. In simplified terms:

Training at 50-60% of maximum heart rate burns the most fat as fuel. If you are just starting out, there is the zone you should train in.

Training at 60%-70% of maximum heart rate burns a combination of fat and glucose. You don't burn as much fat off, but you do burn a larger amount of calories overall. This is the zone to train in to improve fitness levels.

Training at 70%-80% of maximum heart rate burns the most calories, but the least amount of fat. The fuel comes from glucose stored in your muscles. This is the zone to train in to maximize your fitness. Think of short bursts of sprints.

So your heart rate monitor will keep you on track to so what zone you are in, depending on your goals! My first heart rate monitor was a basic Polar, it just gave me heart rate and calories burned. Now I have a high-end on, the Polar FT60, which you can program. You tell it your goals (fat loss, fitness improvement or maximizing performance) and it tells you how long you should train for each week, and in which heart rate zones!

Hope this helps!
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I asked for one just because of all the hype on here and received it for Christmas. I've worn it while working out, but am now wondering if I really needed it. I've got a calorie count that I can log in here, but could have entered a guesstamate using MFP's database. And it is only good for cardio and not valid for strength training. I'm not sure that I am really benefiting all that much from it.
  • sepatown410
    Options
    I never thought so at first, but my brother (who is less fit than me surprisingly) really pushed the idea on me. I did more research and realized that I run too hard for the weight loss I'm looking for. (See fitgirl4life's breakdown.) It makes sense... I was becoming the fastest non-skinny guy in the races I run, and wondering how I wasn't losing weight as quickly as I thought I should. =)

The heart rate monitor is really good for making sure you're in the zone you want to be in depending on your goal.

I don't use mine every time I exercise, but just often enough so I remember how exerted I feel when I'm in the right zone.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I have the wii with ea active which gives you an idea of how many calories you've burned, but I still wear my hrm.
    I found out it gives me different numbers than the wii game so its more accurate.

Plus, it helps to keep me focused. I push myself more based on what my hr is.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Without one, you won't know how many calories extra you need to eat in a given day. You can guesstimate using MFP's built in fitness, but honestly it's just a rough estimate.

For instance, if MFP tells you to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week, and you eat all 1200 calories but work out every day for an hour, that's ~300-700 calories extra you can and need to eat daily. But without a HRM you would just be guessing at the number which will slow your weight loss.

Is it absolutely vital to weight loss? No.

Will it probably speed your weight loss up? Yes
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i think getting a HRM was the best idea ever. i LOVE it.
    1) its accurate
    2) it tells you your maximum heart rate zone where you will burn the most fat.
    3) it makes you push yourself because you are watching the calories burned while you do the exercise.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine! I've got the Polar F6. I did a lot of comparative research and it was the best deal in terms of features for the money. I also found that the MFP exercise database was giving me a VERY generous calories burned count. So having an accurate calories burned count from the HRM has really helped me and it keeps me motivated during workouts.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Got mine (Polar FT40) a few months ago and love it. I'd highly recommend it if you're serious about a training/weight loss program.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Im interested in a HRM also as I don't think the gym machines are accurate...plus I am afraid my heart is going to explode while working out....I know that's not completely realistic but it's how I feel at the moment!
  • afred29
    afred29 Posts: 29
    Options
    Does the Polar FT40 come with a strap that you put around your chest?
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    I would say that it's one of the most important things that someone counting calories for weight loss or maintenance can do. If it is accurate, and used properly, it can be a great indicator of what you're burning in calories. All of the online calculators are WAY overestimating calorie burn, from what I can tell. A good HR monitor should know your age, height, and your current weight. If it does not ask for those things, it cannot accurately gauge your output.

I do not advise purchasing one that doesn't use a chest strap. Sorry, but the wrist only varieties just do not keep the pace as well. That chest strap is as close to your heart as can be, and a better measurement, more constant in it's feedback. Gym machines are just a variance on the wrist only variety. They take your HR while you're touching them, but unless they interface with a chest strap, they don't keep a constant measurement.

Yes, get one!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    As everyone says if you're serious get one. I got one for Christmas and wonder why I waited so long. It has become my motivation for a 5K training. There are all kinds of brands/models, etc. I can't give any advice on that, it just depends on what you want to spend. Mine was a Black Friday special at the local sporting goods for $39 reg $99 if that helps. Mine does speed and distance, which was key for a 5K training for me. Good luck.

Yes I wouldn't waste the money on one without a chest strap. That's what I was told when looking myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not entirely true, you will burn a higher % of calories from fat in the fat burning zone but less calories from fat in total.
    Say you are in fat burning mode for 10 minutes and burn 120 cals, 80% from fat, whereas you could have worked harder and burned 150 with 70% for fat. 70% of 150 is more fat calories than 80% of 120 (105 vs 96 cals from fat). The higher intensity will burn more fat in total.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM for my birthday in September and have never done a workout since without it. I find it supper motivating and helps me with my goals much better rather than going by MFP's estimation of calories burned.

You can use it with anything, cardio or strength training. I use it for going to the gym and for all my workout DVD's. The other day I used it when shovelling the driveway! It is a really good investment.
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can help give you a more accurate count of calories. If you're eating too many because of MFP's estimates, you will lose weight slower. If you're eating too few because of MFP's estimates, you will lose weight slower. So, bottom line is that it will help your weight loss and fitness goals. The prices are good on Amazon and shipping is fast. Definitely get one with a chest strap though. Best wishes!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Does the Polar FT40 come with a strap that you put around your chest?

Yes. Takes a little getting used to the feeling and its one more thing to wash but its worth it.
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    I got a Garmin heart rate monitor for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. It does help calculate the calories you are burning based on the level of exertion. I wore it when I went to the zoo, and was excited to see that I walked about 3 miles and burned x amount of calories. So for me, it has been more of a motivating tool to get out and move around more.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for "weighing" in on this topic. I am going to invest in one. Now just to figure out which one as I also want it to keep track of km walked as I do Nordik poling and am very competitive with myself. Any suggestions?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Not entirely true, you will burn a higher % of calories from fat in the fat burning zone but less calories from fat in total.
    Say you are in fat burning mode for 10 minutes and burn 120 cals, 80% from fat, whereas you could have worked harder and burned 150 with 70% for fat. 70% of 150 is more fat calories than 80% of 120 (105 vs 96 cals from fat). The higher intensity will burn more fat in total.

You stole my response. :flowerforyou:

You ALWAYS burn more fat at higher intensity regardless of what "zone" your heart rate is in. Do the math just like he has and you will see. That's why programs like Turbo Fire and Insanity burn far more calories than something like running on a treadmill or the elliptical.

Also, research has shown that you are not entirely in one zone or the other at any given period of time. It is a fluid change and it is always a combo of fat and carbs you are burning no matter what.

Higher intensity is always the way to go.