Turning into an outdoor runner

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

I was going to buy a gym membership and keep running indoors, but I figured it all out and it was going to be way too much money. Therefore, I'm taking my (free) run outdoors.

The thing I get a bit discouraged about is the fact I can run longer indoors on the treadmill. I know that when I'm outdoors I'm running quicker, and the environment is just different anyways. I run around a track, so when I can essentially run the distance of 4 laps indoors, but can only do 1 lap outdoors, I get discouraged.

Am I on the right track, just starting it off slow, and trying not to compare the two?

L.

Replies

• kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 302 Member
    Hey if your running indoors on treadmill it will make you better in the outdoor eventually. If you can get out and do some outside running is great. I do most all my stuff in doors. i try to have a race every month and of course this is outside. just keep focused and stick it out.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    You are totally correct. Running on a treadmill is easier than outside. Try the Couch to 5 K program (C25k). That will help you progress slowly outside. I was never a runner and ran my first 5k in november. If you use the treadmill set the incline to 1. That will help simulate the outdoor environment a little bit.

Good luck!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I love to run outside...but I prefer trails. See if there is a park near you and try doing trails instead...just know the length of the trails (it's usually marked in some way).
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Hmmm, I did the C25K back in the fall. I started it outdoors, then finished up indoors. I wonder, do you think it's a good idea to maybe re-start it, and complete it all outdoors? I think I could probably start further on in the program, considering I can run 1/2 a mile okay.

L.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Some people do better outside, some do better inside. Just stick with the one that works for you. Personally I love it outside. Hate the treadmill even though I feel its an "easier" run.
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.