Favorite Shoe or Shoes

legend1973
legend1973 Posts: 83
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
What is your favorite shoe for running?

Please list the following;

Shoe brand and model,
Shoe type(stability, motion control, nuetral or cushioning)
And what type of running you do treadmill or on land.

I wear asics gel-cumulus 12's, they are a cushioning shoe for mild to moderate pronators, I have a nuetral foot but I like the softness of the shoe, also for a cushioning shoe it feels very very light to me. They breathe very well, and feel like they do alot of the work for you. I am looking to get into a shoe that I can train with that fits my foot a little better, probably going with the Asics Gel-2150's.

I run only on treadmills but and looking to bust out this spring, and by the end of summer I am going to run a half marathon in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Looking for hearing your reviews!!!

Lenny

Replies

• Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    I wear a saucony neutral shoe can't remember the name. It's a well balanced shoe and great for both in and outdoor running. I picked mine up at a Famous Footwear for about $89 USD. They've been great shoes.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    I run exclusively in the Saucony Stabil line, with original PowerStep inserts because I'm a severe over-pronator and have one leg slightly shorter than the other. I really like their wide toe box, especially when my feet swell during my double-digit summer runs. I always have 2 pairs in rotation, to spread the wear and tear. I run treadmill (mostly in winter), concrete and asphalt.

I would recommend you go to a local running store (NOT a big-box sporting goods store) and have them fit you properly for a shoe that is right for your weight, gait and level of activity. I had some ITBS issues `til my local running store turned me on to Stabils, and it was the best decision I ever made.
  • Gary6030
    Saucony ProGrid Triumph 5 pretty sure these are the ones I'm using.
  • Gary6030
    I agree with the running store. I just happened to be fit with these shoes out our running store and my wife found the same shoes for $50 cheaper. Running store will help you out a lot.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    I am quite heavy for running, and unlike a lot of other overweight people, I have a fairly neutral foot.
    My favorite is the Asics Nimbus, which is neutral/cushioning as far as I understand. When I needed a new pair, the store guy said he can see I need a little pronation control in my left foot and recommended the GT-2150. It felt good in the store and since they were cheaper than the Nimbus, I bought them...and I wish I hadn't. I should have returned them but I was feeling stupid doing that - now I have to use them. It's not like they are really bad, just not as good as the Nimbus were.
    I also have the Brooks Dyad which is also a neutral shoe and very comfy. Unfortunately, that sucker is so ugly!!! I am well aware the vanity should not play a role when buying running shoes and I only run on my treadmill now so no one sees them but me.

Anyway, the summary:

Asics Nimbus
    Neutral/Cushioning
    Treadmill (Sole F63)
    Love 'em, best shoe like running on Nimbus clouds

Asics GT-2150
    Moderate pronation control
    Treadmill (Sole F63)
    OK shoe, I can feel how it tries to push my foot in

Brooks Dyad
    Neutral/Cushioning (low arch)
    Treadmill (Sole F63)
    Very good running shoe, but ugly and looks like clubfoot
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I'm a Nike girl. I've tried all the others, but always go back. I'm switching to barefoot style, (as per my foot doc) this year and my next pair will be the Nike Free. It's the most comfy shoe I have ever worn. I'll probably alternate between those and the Vibrams. I plan on running a marathon in the Frees.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I'm a Nike girl. I've tried all the others, but always go back. I'm switching to barefoot style, (as per my foot doc) this year and my next pair will be the Nike Free. It's the most comfy shoe I have ever worn. I'll probably alternate between those and the Vibrams. I plan on running a marathon in the Frees.

I'm saving up for a pair of the Frees!!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    I wear Asic Gel 1150's and love them on the TM and outdoors!

I also wear my Vibram 5 fingers for TM running and short outdoor runs of 5 km.

Karen
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I dont have a favorite. Right now I run in Nike Pegasus because they are a good neutral/cushion shoe that I can always find on sale.
    I do like the Asics Nimbus too.
    I also have a pair of 5 fingers that I guess would be my "favorite" I try and get a run in once/week with them.
  • CakeFit21

I'm saving up for a pair of the Frees!!

Rach-- I just found this the other day.

http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp

You can customize your own pair of frees! So cool! Yes, a bit more expensive... boo...
    My first pair will not but the fancy custom ones because I've hear the fit is a little different and I assume you can't send a pair of shoes back that you've designed and has your name on it (!). But my second pair...
  • RachVR6
    Rach-- I just found this the other day.

http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp

You can customize your own pair of frees! So cool! Yes, a bit more expensive... boo...
    My first pair will not but the fancy custom ones because I've hear the fit is a little different and I assume you can't send a pair of shoes back that you've designed and has your name on it (!). But my second pair...

So cool!!!
  • saldridge
    I just stumbled over the Free at 6pm, maybe you can stop saving and start buying since they are starting at $51 (if that's your size and color):
    http://www.6pm.com/search/shoes/filter/onSale/"true"/productTypeFacet/"Shoes"/gender/"Womens"/categoryFacet/"Shoes"/subCategoryFacet/"Sneakers+and+Athletic+Shoes"/brandNameFacet/"Nike"/personalityFacet/"Running"
  • CakeFit21
    such a good price, but only in a size 12!!!
  • RachVR6
    I just stumbled over the Free at 6pm, maybe you can stop saving and start buying since they are starting at $51 (if that's your size and color):
    http://www.6pm.com/search/shoes/filter/onSale/"true"/productTypeFacet/"Shoes"/gender/"Womens"/categoryFacet/"Shoes"/subCategoryFacet/"Sneakers+and+Athletic+Shoes"/brandNameFacet/"Nike"/personalityFacet/"Running"

Women's size 12!?!?! Damnit.
  • saldridge
    There are some other "Free" models that have normal sized - like this model (Nike Free Hyper TR ) seems to be available in a lot of sizes:
    http://www.6pm.com/product/7619344/color/237638
This discussion has been closed.