Good exercise for bad leg?

Options
Hi there! I was hoping I could get some advice from any of you that regularly exercise with something of a handicap? I have had 2 knee and partial femur replacements, plus foot/ankle surgery (all results of bone cancer 17 years ago) and find it difficult to do any exercise without having a huge swollen leg when I'm done. The only thing I can somewhat do and just be in a little bit of pain is the stationary bike, and some upper-body weights. Swimming is tricky, I cant really do most of the strokes, or I try but just with one leg, so I dont get many laps in...
I've been wondering if Yoga or Pilates or something might work...

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yoga might be good. It is typically low impact with little pressure on joints and emphasizes smooth movements. Water aerobics might not be bad either although you will likely bring down the age demographics of the class significantly. You might also look into recumbent bikes. This might elevate your legs a bit more, be lower impact, and still get you out there. Not sure, but it might be worth speaking with your doctor or your PT.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    can you use an elliptical machine. or an arc trainer. there really is no impact to put pressure on ur leg. But swimming is the best one unfortunately. Try water exercises, use those water resistance wt thingies and a noodle and run in the water
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Yes I've tried water aerobics in the past...and yes I was the youngest by about 30 years! LOL I will have to try it again.
    Elliptical puts too much weight on my leg unfortunately...at least the ones I have tried, are there different kinds?