4 months now... and nothing....

Options
I guess I can't say nothing. I fit into my fat jeans again. Which I fit into before Christmas (I think).

Ok, I joined a Gym last September. I've been, for the most part eating healthy (yes, a few more cheat days then I'd like, but still healthy).

Take-away is limited to 1-2 days a week, and 9 out of 10 times it's Subway.
Gym at least 3 days a week. Mix of cardio (elliptical or treadmill running/walking up hill) and weight machines. I was doing 3 sets of 12, but now I'm doing the "Goodlife Gym" weightlifing program. 8-12 reps, SLOWLY, increasing the weight to the next level when you reach 12 reps. Each time you do the weights, you increase your rep by 1, to keep pushing yourself.
Typical day is oatmeal breakfast, sandwich or soup for lunch, and then anywhere from a stirfry to Pad Thai (bad, I know) to hamburger helper (another bad one) or chicken/veggies/rice for dinner. I have about 10 meals I switch between for dinner. Portion control is properly sized, and most of the time I can't eat it all.
Water is 6-12 glasses a day, with crystal light.

I lost 5 lbs after 3 months, felt like I gained a bit of muscle, but now I'm 3lbs heavier then when I started back in September. It's not "loosing inches", because none of my pants fit, except the ones that fit before I started all of this.

Apart from Interval training and cutting out breads/cereals/etc, I'm at my wit's end.

I'm not starving myself, I'm eating as healthy as I can, I'm working out and trying to build muscle... what am I doing wrong???

Amy

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    make your diary public so we can make some suggestions :]
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you getting??
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you, but I am in the same boat, sort of. I am eating right, most of the time, but definitely not working out like I should be. I have a hard time staying motivated. I have so many excuses not to get up early to work out and too busy of a night, with kids practices and games each week, that I am too busy to workout. Not to mention housework, dinner, homework with the kids etc. It is hard to squeeze in the time. Are you logging all your calories on here to see how much everything you eat actually is? Sometimes just seeing how many calories is in what we eat can make a difference. I hope you find some answers and that you have luck going forward. I know your struggle. :)

Amy
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    daniface - problem is, i haven't been able to log in via my iPhone in 2 weeks, and was spotty at best at keeping track before that. I like the community here, but I've failed at keeping up on logging my food and exercise =(

RachVR6 - between 900 (on a busy "don't have time to pee let along eat" day) and 1500
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    Amy - I was really spotty on it, and now my iPhone's down so I've been using a plain old diary and pen to try and keep track of it all. =/
  • ktbdaviper
    Options
    If you are building musle then you will not lose weight like a person whom is focus on just losing weight alone. Do more cardio then strength!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    RachVR6 - between 900 (on a busy "don't have time to pee let along eat" day) and 1500

Those 900 calorie days are definitely gonna hurt your results. I'd say to make your main focus, raising your calories. Making sure you get at least 1200 every day if not more like 1300-1400.

And MAKE sure you eat MORE on those days you work out. You need to fuel your body properly for it to do it's job.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    daniface - problem is, i haven't been able to log in via my iPhone in 2 weeks, and was spotty at best at keeping track before that. I like the community here, but I've failed at keeping up on logging my food and exercise =(

900 is too less. and make it a point to log. it does help.
  • lisarazz79
    Options
    I hear ya loud and clear I feel like I DESERVE bigger #'s...first I have learned that the 8 glasses of water is only a guide you really should try to take in half your body weigh in oz everyday,btw crystal ligh has aspartame(fake sugar gives u the munchies and my even cause seizures)!! I also know that starting my day off with carbs is a bad idea and sets you up for a whole day of snacking...we should be starting our breakfast off with protein and lots of it to keep us full longer!! Hope this info is helpful add me if you would like...
  • valerierackly
    Options
    You've probably just increased muscle. And if you don't have very much to lose it seems to ba harder to shift. I've only really lost 8lb since july. i need to lose anouther 8-12lbs to be where i want to be. i was steadily gaiing over the years
    but i have a healthier lifestyle and i do eat a lot better.
    So just because your not shifting the pounds by watching what you eat and regular exercise you should know that your definatly doing the right thing for your body. May be theres hidden calories in what your eating or your portions sizes aren't adding up right. I had to check a few things i was eating and found i wasn't eating enough because i over estemated my calories. i also check pacaging a lot more than i used to because stuff can be very different between brands. keep at it and see how it goes. You sound like your doing everything right, but your body just has to catch up.

oh your not getting enough calories with 900. you may be in starvation. you got to eat to loose. that was also one of my problems. i'm on with sorting it. try writing your foods down in a notebook you can keep with you and try to fit in food breaks.
    you can do it..
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    Ok, I'll raise my numbers some, and make sure to eat more on work out days. As for logging... as long as I don't get caught logging at work (when I do most of my sit down stuff), I should be ok trying to log it all. *raises hand* I promise to try and log it all.

Lisarazz79 - So I shouldn't have my crystal light? damnit. That's how I keep up with my water intake.... and for breakfast, a piece of last night's chicken or some stirfry?

Thanks so much guys!

Amy
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a web site with some really great articles on motiviation, setting goals, nutrition, etc

www.bodysport.com
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    Vaerie: So... should I be switching to weights x2 days/week and cardio x5 days/week, instead of weights x3 days and cardio x4 days?

Connie: thanks for the site!

Amy
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If you are building musle then you will not lose weight like a person whom is focus on just losing weight alone. Do more cardio then strength!

I disagree with the suggestion to do more cardio than strength training. A combo of both is ideal. A person has to eat enough to support "bulking" as far as weight training is concerned. And I guarantee that if you are eating between 900 - 1500 calories per day, that is NOT enough to bulk up. Strength training does increase muscle, but it's not going to bulk you up. The more muscle that you have, the more calories you will burn even when your body is at rest.

You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. You could actually lose weight from diet alone. Exercising just speeds up the process and contributes to overall health, not just weight loss.

I would suggest really trying to log your food. You are probably consuming more calories than you think you are. Getting your diet under control is key. And to be honest, your diet could use some cleaning up. Do you track your sodium? Are you consuming enough protein? Enough good fats? Enough fiber?

If you are working out, try circuit training. Keeping your heart rate up and minimizing the rest between sets will maximize fat loss.
  • valerierackly
    Options
    are you having break days from your exercise. i don't exercise every day. my physio told me i only need to do 5 days out of 7. and to have rest days.
    and as long as your getting fluids that aren't laden with suger, soda etc i dont think that you drinking the crystal light stuff will be a problem if your alright with it and are trying to get some water .
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    I would suggest really trying to log your food. You are probably consuming more calories than you think you are. Getting your diet under control is key. And to be honest, your diet could use some cleaning up. Do you track your sodium? Are you consuming enough protein? Enough good fats? Enough fiber?

Sodium I try to watch (much to my boyfriend's dismay), protein I watch, fats always confused me, and Fibre I'm religious about TBH. I know my diet isn't Gold Star worthy, but it beats the pizza, frozen dinners, and fast food take-away that got me 20lbs off my happy number.
    If you are working out, try circuit training. Keeping your heart rate up and minimizing the rest between sets will maximize fat loss.

That's what the goodlife weight training way thing system whatever is about. slower, harder, pushing circuit. I don't rest between machines, though it takes me 35 minutes for 13 machines. I do,however, keep track of my heartrate during the circuit, and i stays nicely in the "fat burning" zone.

valerierackly - i take the weekends off from the gym. As for fluids... it's mainly water/crystal light. I don't keep pop in the house, we sometimes have juice and milk, but i prefer my water.

Amy
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but you're not seeing results because you're eating garbage. And you're most likely eating more calories than you think.

Lay off the breads and carbs, it looks like that is most of your diet. If you change up your ratios to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fats that would be a good start for you.
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    kdiamond - I guess I'm having problems with meal plans. In the past when I was successful in loosing weights, it wasn't the healthy way, so I guess in my mind eating anything halfway considered healthy is better than nothing. As I've never played with ratios, do you have any suggestions? Or is there a forum that would be better suited for me on this site?

Amy
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    haha I guess that Food and Nutrition forum... whoops!

:)

Amy
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Amy,
    When you plug in the percentages into your goals (the 40/30/30 suggested by kdiamond) , it will calculate how many grams of each nutrient you should consume each day. But, this will only be helpful if you actually log everything that you eat. You may be surprised by what you see. Most people don't think they aren't consuming as many carbs as they actually are, etc. Carbs aren't a bad thing. But, a high carb diet could be sabotaging you; especially if you aren't eating "good carbs". And I really suggest measuring your food! Unless you've done it for a long period of time, chances are you are overestimating your portions.

Yes, you could be eating worse.... so, yes, not eating all the frozen foods and fast foods, etc is a good thing; keep it up! But, if you are asking for suggestions for help (4 months is a long time to see no positive changes), then we are just suggesting things that could help move that along.

Try to eat less packaged/prepared foods. Hamburger Helper, (and trust me, I used to LOVE the stuff! ), is of no nutritional value: processed, white flour, high sodium, etc). I would totally use something like that as a cheat meal and NOT have it in my top ten dinner rotation! ;) Watch the canned soups because even though they are low in calories, are typically loaded with salt. Think whole foods, whole grains, lean protein, veggies, healthy fat sources (avocado, nuts, natural peanut butter/almond butter, olive oil, etc).

Good luck! Happy to help if I can. Kdiamond knows her stuff.... you can learn a lot just by reading some of her posts.