Your Fav Chicken Recipe

Options
I usually fry a 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast with Lemon Herb spice. I've eliminated using butter on the stove-top completely with chicken breast by consistantly flipping it, but it's still getting boring. I read that you should pound the chicken to an even size before cooking, and that marinades are almost necessary for chicken.

What's your favorite chicken recipe?
Bonus - Do you have the neutritional information figured out?

Do you prefer baked or stove-top cooking it? Why?

Replies

• SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest ways I prepare chicken, is just to poke holes in it, and marinate it in italian dressing. I usually cut it up and throw it into a frying pan or just bake it in the oven. Either way, it is really good and REALLY easy, and then you can eat it over rice or whatever you like. Sorry, I do not have the nutritional info :blushing: I used to really like putting parmesan cheese as "breadcrumbs" and then frying it...but I don't do that anymore, because I don't like to fry things in oil...but I'm thinking maybe it would work in the oven also? Well...just trying to help out!!!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I like to put chicken in the crockpot...frozen chicken breasts (I use a large bag with about 12 breasts)-over top pour 2 cans of campbells fiesta cheese soup, lg jar of your fave. salsa (I like great value corn and black bean), and a can of corn or green giant mexicorn-drained. Cook all day on low. Serve it over brown rice. Makes 12 servings at about 215 calories each-not including rice. I also like a bit of sour cream on the top.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I like to put chicken in the crockpot...frozen chicken breasts (I use a large bag with about 12 breasts)-over top pour 2 cans of campbells fiesta cheese soup, lg jar of your fave. salsa (I like great value corn and black bean), and a can of corn or green giant mexicorn-drained. Cook all day on low. Serve it over brown rice. Makes 12 servings at about 215 calories each-not including rice. I also like a bit of sour cream on the top.

I assumed you are not a 12 person family so what do you do with the additional servings? Shouldn't cooked chicken be eaten within 2 days I believe? Freezing cooked chicken means wouldn’t change that "rule". Thanks.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

I assumed you are not a 12 person family so what do you do with the additional servings? Shouldn't cooked chicken be eaten within 2 days I believe? Freezing cooked chicken means wouldn’t change that "rule". Thanks.

ALSO, my crockpot says (and from what I've read) you shouldnt put frozen meat in there, it basically zaps the strength and will take 2x as long but yours cooks fully?
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    400caloriesorless.com is a great web site one of my MFP friends recently told me about. We have cooked now 5 recipes and all have been fabulous. Last night we had Chicken Milanese and I put the recipe below. I highly recommend putting all of the recipes individually into MFP using the specific ingredients you are using. I have noticed some discrepancies there because I live in a very small town and can't get some of the specific brands. All but one of the recipes has actually been under what she has posted. (FYI: We have had spinach orzo, corn and zucchini, pita pepperoni pizza, and chicken and cheese tostadas. All super yummy!)

Chicken Milanese
    4 servings
    181 calories per serving - according to my entering it into MFP

4 3 oz boneless chicken breasts
    1/4 t black pepper
    ¼ t salt
    1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
    2 T grated parmesan cheese
    Pam

Rinse chicken in water. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan in a bowl and press chicken cutlets in to coat well. Spray a skillet with Pam and heat over medium heat and add the chicken and cook about 4-5 minutes per side or until browned.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for Asian Glazed Drumstick from http://www.skinnytaste.com/.

Asian Glazed Drumsticks
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 drumsticks • Points: 5 ww pts
    Calories: 213 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 27.5 g • Carb: 12.7 g • Fiber: 0.4 g

8 medium chicken drumsticks, skin removed
    Pam spray oil
    1 cup water
    1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (more or less to taste)
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 tsp agave nectar (or sugar)
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp ginger, grated
    2 tbsp chives or scallions, chopped
    1 tsp sesame seeds
    In a heavy large saucepan, brown chicken on high for 3-4 minutes with a little spray oil. Add water, balsamic, soy sauce, agave, garlic, ginger, hot sauce and cook on high until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove cover and bring heat to high, allowing sauce to reduce down, about 8 minutes until it becomes a thick glaze, turning chicken occasionally. (Keep an eye on glaze, you don't want it to burn when it start becoming thick) Transfer chicken to a platter and pour glaze on top. Top with chives and sesame seeds and serve.
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    Bump!
  • kdfaughn
    Options
    Fave chicken recipe (my son's fave too)

6oz. boneless, skinless breast, butterflied to make two breasts (3oz. each)
    1/4 Cup fat free Italian dressing for marinade, 15-30 minutes
    Fat free cooking spray

Get skillet hot then spray with cooking spray. Sear chicken breasts on both sides (about 45 seconds each side). Lower heat to around, medium to medium high. Pour remaining marinade over chicken. Cook a few more minutes until done. We love it with Rice a Roni Long Grain Wild Rice.

Serves one to two people.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

ALSO, my crockpot says (and from what I've read) you shouldnt put frozen meat in there, it basically zaps the strength and will take 2x as long but yours cooks fully?

I always cook the meat from frozen. It's such a waste of time to defrost first and then to slow cook it.

I only cook on low and I'm away from home anways for 10 hours during the day anyways so cooking it a little longer is fine.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried boiling chicken wings, add 3/4-1cup of bbq sauce, then baking it? It sounds good, but I've never heard of that before...my problem is that the bbq sauce is awful ... but I don't have the ingredients to make my own bbq sauce... and honestly, the bbq sauce would be minimal... just curious about how others bake their bbq wings.
  • Teran0612
    Teran0612 Posts: 263
    Options

I always cook the meat from frozen. It's such a waste of time to defrost first and then to slow cook it.

I only cook on low and I'm away from home anways for 10 hours during the day anyways so cooking it a little longer is fine.

They actually say to sear your meat before placing it in a crock pot that you plan on cooking on low, because it sits too long at a low temperature and bacteria can be an issue.. I always sear my roasts when cooking on low.. any other meats I cook on high heat
  • thcarson
    Options
    I use a marinade made by Allegro called Hot and Spicy, just marinate for about 30 minutes and throw on the gas grill. It's also great on pork chops also!!
  • vulcangrrl
    Options
    What I had for dinner - chicken satay salad.
    So easy. Grill (broil? I don't know. Grill in the oven anyway) a chicken breast in a non-stick dish, with salt, pepper and herbs.
    Mix with some satay sauce.

Layer salad greens, some crunchy noodles (if you like), and then the chicken.
    Without the noodles, it is around 350 cals (including some avocado, yum!).
    With the noodles though it's around 600.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    They actually say to sear your meat before placing it in a crock pot that you plan on cooking on low, because it sits too long at a low temperature and bacteria can be an issue.. I always sear my roasts when cooking on low.. any other meats I cook on high heat

I'm not sure who "they" are, but countless sources online and in cookbooks encourage cooking from frozen in a slowcooker as long as you can cook it long enough. I've been doing it for 10 years now and haven't had any kind of problem with bacteria. If you cook from frozen, you need to put it in a crockpot that hasn't been warmed up. Cold meat=cold slowcooker (and warm meat, warm slowcooker).

If you google cooking from frozen crockpot, you'll see limitless sites that not only say it's ok, but encourage it.
  • aprillawson
    Options
    ~Applesauce Chicken ~

--4 frozen chicken breast halves or thighs (I used 2 of each)
    --1 1/2 cups of applesauce
    --1 T dried onion flakes, or 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
    --1 T apple cider vinegar
    --1/4 tsp cinnamon
    --1/2 tsp black pepper
    --1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, I used them, and added more to the adult servings)

The Directions.

A 3 or 4 quart crockpot is the best size for this, but I did use a 6 quart. If your pot cooks faster on the lower end of cooking time.

Put the frozen chicken pieces into your crockpot. Add the onion (if you are using the dried onion, wait and add it to the applesauce). In a bowl, mix the applesauce, vinegar, and spices together. Pour on top of the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4.

~Pineapple Chicken~

--enough chicken for 4
    --20 oz can of pineapple chunks
    --1/4 cup soy sauce (Tamari wheat free or La Choy are gluten free)
    --1 t red pepper flakes

The Directions.

put the chicken into the crockpot. I used frozen breast tenders. Drain the pineapple, and add the chunks with the soy sauce and the red pepper flakes.

cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 3-4.

The cooking time will depend on how thick your pieces of chicken are, and if they are frozen or not.
  • kim0913
    kim0913 Posts: 51
    Options
    bump
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My fav on wings:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup EVOO
    1 pkt Hot Taco Seasoning Mix

Mix this up and marinade wings for at least an hour, then bake or grill.

Awesome flavor without all the sugar in most BBQ sauce.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I had a spare chicken breast that didn't fit in the pan for something I baked. The next day I threw this together and it was awesome!

1 tbsp Balsamic
    1 tbsp sweet/sour sauce
    1 tsp triple berry preserves
    1/2 tsp dried chopped onions

Stirred it up rolled meat in it and then put it in a gallon storage bag that had a combo of:

italian bread crumbs
    a little fish fry
    spices

Tossed the bag to coat the meat, put it in a shallow pan on a little O/O and baked it in my toaster oven for 20 minutes at 400.
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest ways I prepare chicken, is just to poke holes in it, and marinate it in italian dressing. I usually cut it up and throw it into a frying pan or just bake it in the oven. Either way, it is really good and REALLY easy, and then you can eat it over rice or whatever you like. Sorry, I do not have the nutritional info :blushing: I used to really like putting parmesan cheese as "breadcrumbs" and then frying it...but I don't do that anymore, because I don't like to fry things in oil...but I'm thinking maybe it would work in the oven also? Well...just trying to help out!!!

I marinate in italian dressing too. I just tried a raspberry dressing tonight and it was great. I like it more than the italian. I did pan fry it though. I am slowly moving from fried to baked but it will not happen overnight :blushing: Im going to try apple juice and cinnamon marinade this week.

I entered each ingredient into MFP and he is what I got:

Raspberry Chicken- pan fried

4 oz of chicken breast
    Drew's raspberry dressing and quick marinade- enough to cover chicken
    vegetable oil- enough in the pan to just cover the bottm of the chicken not immerse it.

195 calories per serving of 4 oz.
    carb- 1
    fat- 16
    protein- 13
    sodium- 21
    fiber- 0

I only marinated the chicken for about an hour so the chicken only soaked up about a tbls of the dressing which accounts for 30 of the calories. Since I pan fried 120 calories is from the oil alone. This can also be baked and be just as great with even less calories. I dont eat veggies but for those who do (everyone else in this world) this would be great with side of veggies or over a salad.
  • lprewett86
    lprewett86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump